Anybody here own a bakery or know someone who does?

my parents own a bakery and although it is really successfull none of us the children want anythign to do with it. My parents average 60 hours week each at their bakery to make it work and work 7 days a week. it's really demanding. I love to bake cakes and love to decorate but never in a million years would I embark in that journey. My sibblings all resent the place as my parents never travelled with us and there's no such thing has family vacation. My parents last vacation was 21 years ago to put into perpective. lately my parents have been thinking about closing the place as none of us want it. They said clients are getting more and more demanding and cheaper. They want big but want to pay very little. Shows like Cake boss have helped some and made it hard on other.

Gluten free products seem to be a big market right now if you are considering products to bake!

I supervise the bakeries for a family that owns 7 supermarkets... worked in every position in those bakeries for the last 16 years...over those years, I've never once thought that I would want to own my own bakery/business. I've been offered opportunities with different spaces, people, etc. One thing that has deterred me from this is just how mean the general public is, your daughter probably puts her whole heart and soul into each project she works on and it could be absolutely wonderful...but a customer can bring that crashing down in seconds...they don't like the color, size, border, writing, etc. sometimes, it's just not what they pictured...if you open any kind of business with someone that is artistic and places a huge part of their self-worth in what they do, they better grow some thick skin, I've seen so many talented bakers and decorators crushed by comments/complaints from customers.

Gluten free products seem to be a big market right now if you are considering products to bake!

But if you're going to go into that, you have to be *serious* about it. Because one mis-step and you could make someone seriously ill.

...if you open any kind of business with someone that is artistic and places a huge part of their self-worth in what they do, they better grow some thick skin, I've seen so many talented bakers and decorators crushed by comments/complaints from customers.

And never ever let them look at cakewrecks.com. (unless it's to learn what NOT to do!) And..except for on Sundays, when they post "Sunday Sweets", the gorgeous things they've come across.

I just wanted to jump in here--my DH used to be an artisan bread baker. He did not own the bakery he worked in, but I can tell you he worked long and very hard hours. He worked overnights so the bread was fresh every morning at 7 am, and the work was very difficult. He eventually switched careers because it was so taxing.

I wanted to echo what a PP said, as well: The moneymaking side of bakeries is not the retail storefront side. It's wholesale. If my DH ever told me he wanted to start baking bread again and wanted to start a business, I am sure we would only do the wholesale portion. The retail storefront is expensive to run and maintain.

I have a relative who does a bakery at the local Farmer's Market, which runs twice a week. He is required to use a commercial kitchen that meets the city's regulations, so you would want to check into that. Only selling two days a week gives him more flexibility, and he is doing quite well. Many days he ends up leaving early because he's completely sold out! It would certainly be a great way to test the market for your products.

Teresa

We have several commercial kitchens in our area that rent time to small business that do mostly farmers markets, craft fairs, etc. I think that'd be a great way to go.

But if you're going to go into that, you have to be *serious* about it. Because one mis-step and you could make someone seriously ill.

Its also really hard to make quality GF products and sell enough at a price point that works to keep a store in business. The Twin Cities has seen several GF bakeries go under - or at least stop retail operations.

OP--I would love to read your opinion now that you've read all of this advice from experienced business owners/relatives of business owners. BTW, I think you were so wise to post this question before talking about a business with your daughter. FWIW, I would be totally scared-off after reading these replies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter