Anybody heard of the Alinker? Mobility device

ZellyB

DIS Veteran
So, I saw someone posted on a page I follow on Facebook that they ran a recent runDisney race using this device.

It's a walking bike without pedals. As some of you know, I had to give up running a couple of years ago due to a serious health condition. One of the worst parts of my condition was having to give up running. I loved it so much. My DH, Chris, tries to encourage me to use my scooter and come out with him on runs, but it honestly ends up almost depressing me to do that since I miss the feeling of running and the physical exertion. I'm wondering if this might allow me to "run" again. And the fact that they apparently allow them on runDisney courses makes it even more appealing. (From what I'm reading with a device like this you start at the last corral).

I'm not sure that I can actually use this with my condition or if the pain in my back would still prevent me from using it. It's stupid expensive but I'm tempted regardless. They do let you use it for 30-days and if it doesn't work for you, then you can return it. If I end up really considering this, I'd wait until spring and warmer temps. :)

Anyway, anybody ever see one of these in a race or have any familiarity with it?

This is the first I've heard of it so I'm not going to be super helpful. Sorry about that.

Have you tried cycling at all? I know it's not the same but it might give you an idea if this would work or not.

I saw an athlete using one (or a competitor's device) last weekend in either the half or full. It was a brief moment while I passed so I don't have much to add other than to confirm there was one on a RD course :) We were cresting the top of a ramp and she was definitely riding the brakes because being only one lane there wasn't any room for her to pass. I imagine other tight areas of the course present a similar challenge.

I hope you take the chance to try one in the spring. Despite the cost, like you I'd definitely be tempted to try if there's a chance to return to something I love!

A friend's daughter with cerebral palsy has used one, not for racing but just getting around. Here's a blog post about it. You may want to reach out to Andi if you have any questions.

https://www.bringingthesunshine.com/?s=alinker

This is great. Thank you!

This is the first I've heard of it so I'm not going to be super helpful. Sorry about that.

Have you tried cycling at all? I know it's not the same but it might give you an idea if this would work or not.

I've actually not tried cycling. I've worried a bit about balance and falling. I don't think I"d have the same issues here although it might help me to determine the stress on my back. I need training wheels again. :D

I saw an athlete using one (or a competitor's device) last weekend in either the half or full. It was a brief moment while I passed so I don't have much to add other than to confirm there was one on a RD course :) We were cresting the top of a ramp and she was definitely riding the brakes because being only one lane there wasn't any room for her to pass. I imagine other tight areas of the course present a similar challenge.

I hope you take the chance to try one in the spring. Despite the cost, like you I'd definitely be tempted to try if there's a chance to return to something I love!

Good to have confirmation they are allowed on rD courses. I'll see how I'm feeling this spring and maybe give it a shot!

Thanks to all for the replies!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter