Anybody ever booked using Travelocity Top Secret Hotels?

mickeyluv

DIS Veteran
I was just checking travelocity site and noticed that there is a hotel on the top secret hotels section which is a 4 star hotel with traveler rating of 4 out of 5 smily faces and is in the I-Drive/Universal/Sea World area. Anyone have any experience with Travelocity and their Top Secret Hotels?

I was just checking travelocity site and noticed that there is a hotel on the top secret hotels section which is a 4 star hotel with traveler rating of 4 out of 5 smily faces and is in the I-Drive/Universal/Sea World area. Anyone have any experience with Travelocity and their Top Secret Hotels?

Well travelocity is a reputable site so it sounds like a good deal...

I saw a hotel on hotwire and matched it up from betterbidding to Best Western Lakeside, so after reading some reviews I told Mom to snatch it up because it was only $29 and a good deal. Well when I went back later that night to have her book it was gone.

I then went to Travelocity top secret and noticed a 3 star for $29 and thinking it was prob the same one she went ahead and booked it. It was indeed that.

So atm I have used them but she doesn't actually check into the hotel till Saturday night so idk how that will go but should be fine. She got a confirmation email and everything.

But I would say if you find a good deal there its not much different then using Hotwire and I book those all the time. Haven't rly had a bad experience yet. /knocks on wood

Good luck!

Thanks jonny_duck ! I have the quality Inn Plaza booked for 7 nights right now for $337.48 which is an excellent deal so I'm not complaining at all but $29 is even better! :goodvibes Good for you!!

Yes but I can't talk about it. :rotfl2:

There are some lovely hotels in that area, but there are also a lot of dives. I just don't have the grotskies to take a chance like that, it's bad enough when you pick a reputable hotel that it can suck.

If they're saying 4 star... does that mean at least a Sheraton or a Westin class hotel? That could be worth the chance.

Thanks jonny_duck ! I have the quality Inn Plaza booked for 7 nights right now for $337.48 which is an excellent deal so I'm not complaining at all but $29 is even better! :goodvibes Good for you!!

Just looked that one up on Tripad and it looks like a very nice hotel for that price. I got another hotel through Hotwire for $399 for 6 nights and almost wish I would of waited and checked the other sites. I booked before I knew travelocity and I think Expedia also now does the top secret hotels. But our room has a kitchen and separate living room area so I think the deal was not too bad.

I love these top secret deals....its kinda fun to guess what the hotel will be and you can't beat the prices they give! Have a good time. :)

Edit:

There are some lovely hotels in that area, but there are also a lot of dives. I just don't have the grotskies to take a chance like that, it's bad enough when you pick a reputable hotel that it can suck.

Idk....Some ppl post bad things about 4.5 star hotels where others have great times. Same with 2 star hotels. Its usually just a toss up whether you have a good experience whether you know the hotel or not. I personally have no problem booking through the secret method. I wouldn't go down to a 2 star but I have done 2.5 star and up and haven't had any issues yet.

Then again I don't rly go to Orlando for the hotels and generally just a place for me to sleep. I think you and I would differ on the definition of dive. =)

I'm new to this "secret hotel" idea but looking for a place off-site for a January stay -- can you select desired amenities for a "secret hotel" such as one that includes breakfast? Also when do you find out which hotel you got, once you pay? Thanks!

I'm a long time veteran using Hotwire jointly with Betterbidding.com I also have used Pricelines name your own price bid system which also works with Betterbidding.Travelocity's secret hotels system is pretty new and there isn't a site like Betterbidding for it that I can see but I'm probably going to try it on my next visit as Priceline kinda let me down on my last visit,they supposedly upgraded me from a 2.5 star to a 3 star,however the 2.5 star hotel in that area I had gotten it before and is vastly superior to the supposed 3 star hotel they upgraded me to.Hotwire lately also hasn't had some of the hotels I used to book very often.Whenever I have friends or family ask me where I stay and how I book my rooms since I go often I tell them about Hotwire and Priceline but I always explain that even though I've gotten many good hotels, sometimes $150-$200+ rooms for $25-$50 there have been a few times you don't get the hotel you were expecting or one time the hotel only could give me a room with one bed,I always make sure to explain how it works and if they're not comfortable with it don't use it.For example I had a family member stay at the same exact 2.5 star hotel I mentioned early,very good hotel,good location free breakfast,they booked traditionally and paid $85 which they considered good,I stayed there 2 weeks prior and paid $36 through Priceline name your price.

I'm just always so worried that I will do the Hotwire/Priceline thing and then get a crappy hotel. I do go to betterbidding also. Is it better when using either HW or PL to wait to try to book something closer to the time of travel? I guess what I'm trying to find out is when is a good time to start looking for trip in November?

I'm new to this "secret hotel" idea but looking for a place off-site for a January stay -- can you select desired amenities for a "secret hotel" such as one that includes breakfast? Also when do you find out which hotel you got, once you pay? Thanks!

They tell you the amenities and they are usually accurate....Last trip I booked through Hotwire and they did not mention that I got free breakfast and it was a pleasant surprise when I got there!

So to sum up yes you can pretty much chose your amenities by looking at them before you book it....to answer your other question, Yes, Once you pay you find out the name of the hotel. Betterbidding.com is usually fairly accurate and almost all my trips I was able to know the hotel and check out tripadvisor on it before I was booked on it. But sometimes it is a surprise.

Go check out Hotwire and once you click on the "Check all amenities" button you can see all that the hotel is supposed to offer.

I'm just always so worried that I will do the Hotwire/Priceline thing and then get a crappy hotel. I do go to betterbidding also. Is it better when using either HW or PL to wait to try to book something closer to the time of travel? I guess what I'm trying to find out is when is a good time to start looking for trip in November?

I would look every couple of days...I believe the way it works is they give them a certain number of rooms and once those rooms are booked they cycle through to another hotel. So personally I would check back often for the best deal you can find...

The only downside rly to booking this way is it is non refundable so sometimes its better to do it near the time of traveling for that reason encase something happens and you cancel your trip.

But I always check back daily while I'm at work when I am planning a trip to see when they cycle through to another hotel and chose what is right for me the time I'm going and gonna give me the best deal for my needs.

I also have used Pricelines name your own price bid system which also works with Betterbidding.

I have only used this successfully once...When I was reading betterbidding I saw ppl getting Hampton iirc for $25 so I booked that for a night and it was pretty awesome stay. Unfortunately I have not had much luck after that and I prefer to use hotwire.

I used this a couple of weeks ago. We got Rosen Shingle Creek for $51 a night. We stayed there 2 weeks ago and loved the hotel!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter