Any way to know if your request for a private table is granted?

I_love_Cruising

Mouseketeer
On one cruise we only found out that we had table mates, when we were led to the table. But luckily they managed to find us a private table for the next day.

On the next cruise we checked on embarkation day at the desk with the head server. And it seemed like our TA never put in the request, but with some Pixie Dust they made it happen.

Is there another way to check if you have table mates. Is there a secret code on the Keycards? Maybe the table numbers give it away? or something?

On one cruise we only found out that we had table mates, when we were led to the table. But luckily they managed to find us a private table for the next day.

On the next cruise we checked on embarkation day at the desk with the head server. And it seemed like our TA never put in the request, but with some Pixie Dust they made it happen.

Is there another way to check if you have table mates. Is there a secret code on the Keycards? Maybe the table numbers give it away? or something?
We request this every time, and the only way to know for sure is by checking at dining changes upon embarkation. If a private table wasn't yet granted, they'll do it for you then if they are able. Get to dining changes earlier rather than later if that's important to you.

We request this every time, and the only way to know for sure is by checking at dining changes upon embarkation. If a private table wasn't yet granted, they'll do it for you then if they are able. Get to dining changes earlier rather than later if that's important to you.

Thank you for your prompt reply. It's quite important to our party, some of us are not fluent in English, so it is a bit awkward.

Too bad, that there is no secret trick. I'll have to keep checking at the dining changes desk.

Thank you for your prompt reply. It's quite important to our party, some of us are not fluent in English, so it is a bit awkward.

Too bad, that there is no secret trick. I'll have to keep checking at the dining changes desk.
We've cruised DCL 6 times and have always had it granted upon request at dining changes, if it didn't go through beforehand. Accepting 2nd seating probably helps.

Be prepared for possible new seating arrangements in the MDR's to accommodate new social distancing policies and safety protocols, so they might not be accepting special requests for tables anymore or for the present situation.

We've cruised DCL 6 times and have always had it granted upon request at dining changes, if it didn't go through beforehand. Accepting 2nd seating probably helps.

^This. The one time we had tablemates we could have had our own if we'd moved to second seating but we chose not to... it was an awkward three night cruise as we were put at a four top with another couple that were polar opposites from us.

I'd say we are granted our own table half the time, the rest we were able to be moved to our own table by going to request it in person. They try to talk us out of it, but we just tell them again nicely we REALLY would prefer our own table. I wish they could just add a note to our account or something that we aren't just playing games here.:rotfl2:

I've called DCL prior to every cruise to request a private table. The CM always says that there are no guarantees, but our request has been granted every time. We prefer late dining, so maybe that has something to do with it. That said, private tables aren't always very private... sometimes the tables are so close together that you might as well be tablemates with your neighbors. :)

Be prepared for possible new seating arrangements in the MDR's to accommodate new social distancing policies and safety protocols, so they might not be accepting special requests for tables anymore or for the present situation.
On the other hand they may want to separate non-related parties using the social distancing logic . Out of 22 cruises we have never not been granted a private table and we always get first seating.

I don't see why they would need to do this, for an undetermined period of time when cruising restarts the ships are more than likely not going to be at full capacity, so they would have enough tables to space people out while giving every party their own table. And, people aren't going to want to sit next to strangers especially in the near term due to COVID, and DCL likely would not want to mix parties at dinner times.

Until Covid is no longer a viable threat, I cannot imagine DCL mixing parties at dinner. That would defeat the purpose of every attempt at distancing, and create a liability issue for them ("we were forced to share a table with the Covid family at dinner every night").

When they sail again it will undoubtedly be with lower capacity than usual, so assigning everyone a private table shouldn't be too hard. Being able to do that, as well as being able to space tables out, will probably be part of the metric they use to gauge a safer capacity for their ships.

We have embarkation day lunch in the MDR. If you look for your table number during lunch, you can get an idea of whether your request has been granted. It’s helped us avoid a trip to dining changes.

We have embarkation day lunch in the MDR. If you look for your table number during lunch, you can get an idea of whether your request has been granted. It’s helped us avoid a trip to dining changes.
If you have a party of 4, this could work. Good strategy. We usually sail as a party of 2, so that would never work in our case as DCL doesn't have 2-tops in their MDRs.

I suppose this works only for main dining not late. But it's a great idea. Thank you!

It should work for either seating. I think the PP meant to check your assigned table & see how many people it seats.

Yes, that makes sense.
I don't know why but I was thinking that they will move the numbers around to different tables after the main seating. But it makes more sense to keep the numbers the same and it sure is easier for the CMs.

Thank you all, I'll try this on our next cruise.

Last edited:
To put in the request for a private table (there will be 4 of us), just call DCL? And if it's not granted, who do we talk to about it on the ship... the servers?

To put in the request for a private table (there will be 4 of us), just call DCL? And if it's not granted, who do we talk to about it on the ship... the servers?

You, or your TA, can call DCL and have the request added to your reservation. On embarkation day there will be a location on the ship to check for dining changes and for onboard Palo/Remy booking. This will be listed on the embarkation Navigator and look something like this

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter