Any tips/advice/suggestions for a first timer at OKW?

TigerLaw

DIS Veteran
We are going to stay at OKW for the first tim next month and I was wondering if any of you OKW experts out there would be willing to share their insights into the place and any suggestions in terms of dont forget to see/do this, don't eat there, etc. (as an example, I just learned yesterday that appearantly the lighhouse contains a hot tub - who knew?!?)

Just any tips/advice at all would be most welcome!

thanks in advance for the help!!

We are going to stay at OKW for the first tim next month and I was wondering if any of you OKW experts out there would be willing to share their insights into the place and any suggestions in terms of dont forget to see/do this, don't eat there, etc. (as an example, I just learned yesterday that appearantly the lighhouse contains a hot tub - who knew?!?)

Just any tips/advice at all would be most welcome!

thanks in advance for the help!!

The lighthouse does NOT contain a hot tub. It contains a Sauna!

We love most locations at OKW, but our favs are 45 and 46 along the canal. We also like 15 for both views and convenience to HH and Miller's Road. The Miller's Road quiet pool is my favorite hot tub area. We don't drink, but I have heard a lot of folks really enjoy Gurgling Suitcase. It's a cute little hole in the wall bar just off the pool. Olivia's restaurant is great for breakfast if you aren't into making that in your villa. We live the lush vegetation around OKW, and if you are lucky enough to stay in May, you will have the wonderful smell of Gardenias!!! This year the gardenias were blooming when we were there, and it was heaven just to walk around the resort!

OKW is like a spread out neighborhood of vacation townhomes. Each building is 2-3 stories and will include 1 bedroom/studio lock offs, 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom villas that are walk ups or walk ins from the parking are right outside your door. This gives a nice secluded vacation home feel IMO. The villas are the largest in the DVC system, and have huge master baths and very large great rooms and fully appointed kitchens with full sized appliances. There is also a complete laundry room with full size washer and dryer (not stackables). There is a large covered balcony that includes a dining table, 4 chairs and a ceiling fan. The balcony is accessed from both the living room and the master bedroom. The studios are lock offs from the second bedroom in some units, and will have 2 queen beds, a large closet, a huge full bath and a kitchenette/sink area that will include a microwave, fridge, coffe maker and toaster as well as some plastic and paper table ware. There is a small table with two chairs and a large balcony for the studio rooms as well.
sand castle slide. Each pool area includes a childs play area and a laundry for those who are staying in the studios (full size villas have their laundry room in the villa).

Bus service is excellent to all the parks, and there are 5 bus stops located throughout the resort.

We stayed near the millers road pool last year.

It is very spread out, and the theme pool is not much to sneeze at. It is okay for a swim but not as jazzed up as some of the other pools - my daughter was tortured by the dolphin fountain because that looks like FUN and you can't go in there, the baby pool is a warm scuzzy little bird bath in the SHADE of the water slide, I didn't care for that. We live in Massachusetts and have much more fun kids splash and play areas around here, and we're not year round in these parts with the outdoor swimming! So I guess with OKW I was really really disappointed with Disney's lack of catering to it's youngest guests.

Go knowing that the rooms are a little outdated and it's spread out, expect 20 minutes to get out of the resort on the bus or back in to the resort on the bus (depending on which stop you are at - it's either going to take you a long time to get out, or a long time to get back), and you will be fine. I should note that we were there in late September, one of the least busy times of the year, and that was our bus experience, I bet it could be a lot longer with a lot more people getting on and off. We frequently got off at the first stop and walked the .75mi back to our room and beat the bus.

We didn't try any of the restaurants there so I can't speak to those.

We did like being able to walk to DTD - though make sure you know exactly how before you leave, we didn't have internet when there (didn't want to pay for it) so we got a little lost the first time.

And we loved the honeymooning river otter couple who spent a couple of afternoons on "our lawn".

And it's fun to be able to take the boat in to DTD from there, but it's also pretty slow, and popular so you might have to wait thru two boatloads or more if you go at a busier time.

We found the hot tub to be really uncomfortable at the miller road pool - because a couple young kids laid claim to it and were out there smoking and drinking every night, I think due to it's remote location, and there's no staff right on site to complain to there so it would have been a hassle to do anything about it - so we just went to bed early instead. ;)

Are there special things to do at OKW?

We're a family of 4, 2 kids 16 & 13, bringing my 80s parents this August.

I think I read there are Grills. Do we bring supplies or can we buy them there (Charcoal, Lighter fluid, Tools, etc.)

Thanks!

My wife and I are paying our first visit to OKW in August, but we've dined at Olivia's several times -- a great, informal place to eat. Try the crab cakes! And, of course, the key lime pie! :lovestruc

Are there special things to do at OKW?

We're a family of 4, 2 kids 16 & 13, bringing my 80s parents this August.

I think I read there are Grills. Do we bring supplies or can we buy them there (Charcoal, Lighter fluid, Tools, etc.)

Thanks!

There are grill supplies in the little store at HH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!