Any Restaurant that SURPRISED you....

kimmar067

TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!
...the second time around, whether good or bad? We had eaten at Trattoria al Forno and thought that the food was 'generic'. However, 2 years later, we decided to give it another try, especially since it has an extensive GF menu. Wow, I have to say that they stepped up their game considerably. Had anyone else given a "thumbs down" restaurant a second chance for redemption? Or, how about the location just didn't cut it the 2nd time around?

...the second time around, whether good or bad? We had eaten at Trattoria al Forno and thought that the food was 'generic'. However, 2 years later, we decided to give it another try, especially since it has an extensive GF menu. Wow, I have to say that they stepped up their game considerably. Had anyone else given a "thumbs down" restaurant a second chance for redemption? Or, how about the location just didn't cut it the 2nd time around?
Over COVID the chef at Flying Fish was assigned there while FF was closed. He reworked the menu.

Our last 2 trips we were happily surprised by Docking Bay 7, ABC Commissary and Skippers Canteen.
We were disappointed by Backlot Express, Boma, Pecos Bill, and Sunshine Seasons.
Because of Covid precautions and travelling to and from Canada, we ate mostly at outdoor quick service locations.

This upcoming trip we are back to eating more table service meals, so we shall see how that goes. I'm hopeful. The food at Disney is part of our adventure.

Mine isn't so much being surprised about a restaurant - but a food. In all of my years going to Disney, I had never tried a Mickey waffle. Shocking, I know! My son loved them and ate them all the time, but I'd never so much as tried a bite of one. I mean, it's a mass produced waffle, shaped like Mickey to appeal to kids, right? Well, we were at Whispering Canyon for breakfast last year and of course the skillet had Mickey waffles on it, so I tried one. Mind blown! What do they put in those things? They almost had a malt taste, which I've always loved. Holy cow, they are good :goodvibes .

Now I know!!

Mine isn't so much being surprised about a restaurant - but a food. In all of my years going to Disney, I had never tried a Mickey waffle. Shocking, I know! My son loved them and ate them all the time, but I'd never so much as tried a bite of one. I mean, it's a mass produced waffle, shaped like Mickey to appeal to kids, right? Well, we were at Whispering Canyon for breakfast last year and of course the skillet had Mickey waffles on it, so I tried one. Mind blown! What do they put in those things? They almost had a malt taste, which I've always loved. Holy cow, they are good :goodvibes .

Now I know!!
Well, they actually do put malt in the batter, hence the malt taste :) And what makes them somewhat different

@kimmar067

My last trip in the Spring was rough.

Chefs de France was one of my favorites, it's just not that good anymore. When we were last there in April the menu was missing our favorite item and the remaining option was just meh. Bring back the steak frites!

I loved the Wave too and I wasn't impressed with the menu changes when it became Steakhouse 71 either. Just more meh.

I really liked Kona Cafe. I know a lot of people don't like it. I had a really bad experience there, got sick from the food, etc. That kinda put a topper on a not very good trip.

We've decided to give Disney a rest for a few years until they can fix their quality problems.

The best meal I had during that vacation was when I went off property. We had a fantastic dinner at Gloria Estefan's new restaurant Estefan Kitchen at the Promenade at Sunset Walk in the Margaritaville Resort.

...hmph...:scratchin how about that...you learn something every day.
It's what I've always been told. It's a rather common commercially available pancake/waffle batter mix you can get for home use too. I just figure someone makes big batches for Disney and since you can clearly taste the malt it made sense so I never questioned it. Malt is a powder so can easily be put in batter.

I will say, they are one thing that vary greatly on how well they are cooked. Overcooked they are not good at all, they get an off taste. Guess malt can burn easily? And personally, I like the bigger ones better than the little ones.

It's what I've always been told. It's a rather common commercially available pancake/waffle batter mix you can get for home use too. I just figure someone makes big batches for Disney and since you can clearly taste the malt it made sense so I never questioned it. Malt is a powder so can easily be put in batter.

I will say, they are one thing that vary greatly on how well they are cooked. Overcooked they are not good at all, they get an off taste. Guess malt can burn easily? And personally, I like the bigger ones better than the little ones.
...I don't ever recall seeing BIG MIckey waffles....hmmmm....

...I don't ever recall seeing BIG MIckey waffles....hmmmm....
I get them with the adult breakfast meal at the QS at POFQ. No idea who else serves them. They are so much better since the small ones get overcooked so often.

About a year ago went to Brown Derby, which seems a while back and things can change. However my surprise was to the down side. The food and the service were both well below my expectations. Now people do have good reviews at times but i have seen a mixed bag lately. Probably wont go back for a bit. Now need to keep finding places in HS to eat. Although seeing the review above gives me some places to try.

Now I know!!
our favorite,,,,I buy this from Amazon..use it in my mickey waffle maker and they are spot on, I do add a touch of vanilla to the mix too

Carbon's Golden Malted Pancake & Waffle Flour Mix,​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter