Any Partners/Couples Ever Vacation Separately

TinkerChelle

Happy Mommy of 2
This week feels like hell. This is the first time my partner, Amy and I have been separated for more than 2 or 3 days. She left on Sunday for WDW with her family. Both of our families were planning trips this year and we couldn't afford to go twice this year because we bought a new house. So, we decided she would go with her family in January and I would go with my family in March. What the Heck were we thinking??? :confused: Why did we think this was a good idea? I know she is having fun and enjoying herself and that is wonderful, but the phone calls are getting harder to handle on my end because she keeps saying things like: "This is the first time I have ever seen Wishes with out you.." And then wants me to stay on the phone for the whole fireworks display. :teeth: She is so crazy! If she is this weepy while she is the one at WDW...how is she going to be when she is the one at home? :scared1: Hope she doesn't see this post ever....I'll be in trouble for blowing her whole macho butch persona! :tongue:
Anyone out there ever done separate vacations? If so, how did it work out for you?

I travel fairly regularly for work. Sometimes husbear accompanies me. When he does we try to tack on an extra day or two to have some together time before my meetings start. Sometimes husbear doesn't accomopany me but I still tack on a day or two if there's things I want to see. A couple years ago, I had a workshop in Orlando, so tacked on a day in the front and a day in the back. Went solo to Animal Kingdom (first time) and then went after to MGM with colleagues. He has occasionally gone to folk festivals without me as he has friends he meets up with, etc. and I can't get the time off. I think because we didn't meet until after we had both had significant adult lives (me with a career, him with a family) and have been together 10 years now so there is no pining away, etc. Yes, we check in every night and it is a relief to see him when I get off the plane, but we've gotten past the drama (we already have enough drama with his daughter and grandchildren, we don't need to make any of our own).

We (I) travel solo (or sans partner) frequently. We used to travel together all the time, but then we started traveling with family, friends, etc. We still travel together most of the time but I travel alone or with others just as much.

I go to NYC and SF with my lesbian wife once a year. My **** husband doesn't come on those trips ;). Who can sort that one out? hehe. I have much more leave from work than he does so I tend to travel more. My coworker (lesbian wife) also makes gobs of leave, and we travel well together so it works great.

I also travel alone (sometimes) to conferences and have been to WDW alone a few times. I don't mind dining, parking, riding alone so it works for me. I like my alone time.

I'm trying to con$erve re$ource$ this year so we don't plan on traveling as much. We just went to WDW last month and DL in November. We are going to WDW again this week. If I move our May cruise to September I will *have* to go somewhere this summer or I will surely die. We are headed to NYC in April for our birthdays and a show (Tarzan).

We travel with my sister and parents a lot and that usually works well, it can be lots of fun with family. We went on the 14-night cruise w/my parents and sister. I barely survived that though. Thank god for the spa! We've traveled w/friends to SoCal, SF, Tahoe, Vegas.

Any big city works for me. Haven't been to Vegas in over a year now. Maybe this is the year to skip SF and go to Vegas. Decisions!

Well, funny you should ask. I'll be going to WDW in a few weeks without the other half. And now, my friend that I was to travel with might not be able to make it! But I still have other friends I can see while there.

This will be one of my own first vacations traveling without Joe, while he's gone on a couple without me. He's a huge country/western fan so he'll go to Nashville for a long weekend from time to time. Plus, he's gone to visit friends when I don't have the time off.

It's not a big deal to either of us. Sure, we miss each other and are so happy to see each other when one of us returns, but it's no big thing. I used to travel for work a LOT when I was in the corporate sector so being apart is fine with me.

Now who's gonna join me in Disney World???

rcostello1 said:
I go to NYC and SF with my lesbian wife once a year. My **** husband doesn't come on those trips ;). Who can sort that one out? hehe. I have much more leave from work than he does so I tend to travel more. My coworker (lesbian wife) also makes gobs of leave, and we travel well together so it works great.
Am I the only confused one here? :confused3: Dish girl! :hyper2:

Well..... since I don't have a partner currently :( .... I travel solo all the time! However, I think that alone time is good for any relationship! But.. it does vary person to person... some people can handle solo travel... while others cringe at the thought!

Kathy

Hmm now I have to think what I wrote that got *****'d out.....let me think.

Oh ok--sounds like schlomo.... :) nip the sc and l :) hehe

rcostello1 said:
Hmm now I have to think what I wrote that got *****'d out.....let me think.

Oh ok--sounds like schlomo.... :) nip the sc and l :) hehe
Got it (I think). I can guess which one you have the legally binding relationship with (since you're in VA), but it's none of my business. Funny that your use of h*** got stripped out but my use of the plural in a different message didn't. thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for the replies everybody! I don't feel like this situation is so unusual now. Just new to us.

rcostello1: Took me a while to figure it out....but I am a little slow sometimes. :teeth: Got it now, though!

RickinNYC: How big is your suitcase? I am rather small...I might fit? ::yes::

Amy just called me from the Rock-n-Roller Coaster (my favorite ride at WDW!) and I got to hear the countdown before the coaster took off. :banana: Sounds like she is having fun!
Her family loves Disney but they do not tour the parks in our normal fashion. So, she is doing some things by herself. They just go to a park in the morning and then spend the rest of the day at the resort. We try to spend some time relaxing on our trips, but we spend most of our time at the parks. So, she is shopping alone in MGM right now. Hope I get something good!:teeth:

I just got back from my first vacation without my partner (she still has 4 more days before coming home)… and we both agree never to do it again. We miss each other way too much.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I actually like traveling solo. I went on a 7 day cruise in November without my wife and had a great time. Sure I missed her, but that made coming home even more fun! ;) I love my wife to pieces, and she and I take vacations together once or twice a year. I also enjoy having time for just myself.

...I've been on quite a few trips to breed dogs. Not really a vacation,but definitely travel! I always have a good time,but wicked miss her while I'm gone. I know I couldn't go to WDW without her.

I have left Scott at home and went to WDW before, actually it was for Gay Days, boy that was a mistake-I came home and he was pissed! LOL He told me to go! He told me that I could never do that again.

Then last year he encouraged me to become a travel agent, well of course I have completed the Disney College of Knowledge and then there are some courses at WDW and DL you can take. This March I will be there for a week without him, but that is work related!

If he ever went without me I would kill him! :rotfl2: :banana: :banana: :rotfl2:

Dan

My DH is going on a cruise solo in February, and I am going to Vegas with my Ex! GASP! Good thing we are all friends and trust one another!

OrlandoMike said:
My DH is going on a cruise solo in February, and I am going to Vegas with my Ex! GASP! Good thing we are all friends and trust one another!

Wow that sounds awesome!

The only time I travel alone is when I go visit my grandmother in So Florida. Other than that we never have vacationed apart. I also travel all the time for business but that's different.

My BF went to Niagra Falls without me once and I took a quick trip to CHI once on my own. We both hated it, and vowed that we wouldn't take separate vac's again. Now I'm in a quandry cause I could go day early and stay a day later at WDW than him, but I cant :guilty:

Buck

57 days to go....

dan and scott said:
Then last year he encouraged me to become a travel agent, well of course I have completed the Disney College of Knowledge and then there are some courses at WDW and DL you can take. This March I will be there for a week without him, but that is work related!
OK, what's the Disney College of Knowledge?? It's the first time I've heard of this and wonder whether it's a second career in the making? Is it like Hamburger U?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter