Any Gordon Lightfoot fans? (long)

Baboo

<font color=navy>Kookie Kanadian Riddler<br><font
Last night DH, DD and I spent a wonderful evening listening to Gord. Our city has a great program called the Festival of Lights every Wednesday and Saturday evening during the summer. They bring in all different types of musical talent and hold a concert in the park. This park is located right downtown, beside the lake. There is no charge for the concert. When the music is over, they have a lighted boat show, where the boats move and flash their lights to music. Some people think that it's kind of cheesy, but it's enjoyable. After that they have a fireworks show, with the fireworks being set off over the lake.
Last night was an absolutely perfect evening for it. It was clear and calm, with all of the stars visible above our heads. DD saw 4 shooting stars during the evening. There were about 15,000 people there, and some had come from as far away as Australia for it. In order to avoid the headache of finding a place to park, and the crush of people all trying to get out of the area at the same time, we parked at one of the parks on the other side of the lake and took the water taxi across. It was a very enjoyable trip, and something that we had never done before. We took our folding chairs, and a partial picnic dinner that we bought burgers from the police barbeque to complete, and found ourselves a good place to see the stage from. We got there quite a bit early in order to be sure that we would get a decent place. We heard from the girl running the taxi, that when she started at 11 am, there were already people staking out their places, and the concert didn't start until 8 pm. We passed the time by having dinner, and then DD played with the bubbles she got at the Toronto meet (thanks Kim!). When she got bored, I took her for a walk.
When 8 finally came, and the concert started, it was all worth the wait. It was so great to sit and listen to Gordon Lightfoot sing for 2 hours. I've always loved his music, and saw him at Massey Hall in Toronto almost 30 years ago (ouch! that makes me feel old:earseek:). There is a slight difference in his voice, but he still sounds great! I remember when they thought that he might never sing again, and last night I thanked God that they were wrong. He sang lots of his classics as well as some of his newer ones. I can't express what a great time we had.
The fireworks afterwards were the biggest they've had this summer. The couple times that they were rained out, they kept the fireworks and used them all last night. Wow! It wasn't quite Disney, but it was a great show.
We had to wait for the water taxi to come back for us since they were full the first trip. DD was really tired by then and started to get upset. I noticed that there were some people waiting behind the stage for Gord to come out, so I asked if she'd like to go wait and see if we might see him. She said sure, so over we went. Not long after that he did come out. The paper had said that he wouldn't be signing autographs, but when he saw people waiting, he put down his breifcase, and took out a pen. At that point, I knew that he'd come over to visit and sign for the die-hards. Sure enough, he did. I searched around and found a paper for him to sign for DD, and she was so excited when he did. :bounce: She went running back to DH to show him, and then he had to go and see him too (DH is a HUGE fan!) DD came back to me to get another piece of paper to have signed, and so they both ended up with his autograph! His manager was trying to hurry him along at that point, so he had to go.
Shortly after that, the taxi came back for us, and we had a pleasant ride back to pick up our car.
As I write this, DH is out in the kitchen singing Lightfoot.
Sorry that this was so long, but I wanted to share what a great time we had with our other family. Kathy

Hi Baboo! I'm so glad that you enjoyed his concert! He is really a true Canadian legend isn't he?
We saw him a couple of years ago here in Hamilton, live at the Junos and our DS (who is now 21 and a real "alternative" type of music lover) really enjoyed his music so much....what a shock! LOL:D He's a big fan of Gordon's now.
It sounds like you had a wonderful time last night....such a perfect evening for it too!:)
We used to have a trailer up near you in Coe Hill and my best friend is in her trailer right now at Jack Lake!;)
Thanks for the concert report!:wave: :wave:

Hi Sammi! We were up past Jack Lake this afternoon. DS was out on a canoing/camping trip from Wolf Lake to Crab Lake and they aren't far from Jack. We had to pick him up today.

Sounds like you and your family had a wonderful evening, Baboo. What a wonderful way to enjoy some time together!

Oh Baboo, that sounds wonderful! I am a big fan of GL too. that is so cool that you got his autograph! Looking froward to meeting you and your family at the Ottawa meet!

Hi Kathy! What a wonderful evening you and your family had! I wish I could have gone too, I didn't know about it. I think you and I may have been at that same concert at Massey Hall 30 years ago, LOL. I have always loved GL's music and I remember sitting with one of my sisters in her bedroom singing The Railroad Trilogy among other songs of his, as she played her guitar.

Thanks for sharing such a lovely evening! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter