Any good historical Disney books?

TheNerdWithAnOpinion

Earning My Ears
I love myself some Disney history! Whether it's about Walt's life, the parks, the animation, or anything to do with Disney! Can someone recommend me a good book about Disney's history? Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you in advance!

A friend recently gave me The Illusion of Life by Ollie Johnston. It is focused on animation development, and a bit technical, but it has gorgeous illustrations and behind the scenes photos.

Oh, and :welcome: to the DIS!

A friend recently gave me The Illusion of Life by Ollie Johnston. It is focused on animation development, and a bit technical, but it has gorgeous illustrations and behind the scenes photos.
That is one of my absolute favorite books! It recently went back into print after being out of print for many decades.

I think you will really like it. It will teach you How and Why the animators/Imagineers think the way they do...

For the parks, there are a lot of great options. Sam Gennawey's book on Disneyland is easy to read and has so much information about the history of that resort from the start and up to the present. For Walt's life, I'd actually say the Bob Thomas biography is preferred for me despite it being the official version. Thomas also wrote a great book about Roy Disney.

Thanks for the recommendation, Brian. Just placed an order.

I ordered my copy on Saturday, and the site offered free shipping to arrive between Thursday and Saturday. Just got my copy TODAY, Monday, two days after ordering (including a Sunday). Not bad!

Didn't expect this thing to be an oversized heavy coffee table book. Thirty-two bucks and free shipping... great deal! Thanks again for the recommendation, @BrianL.

I really enjoyed The Walt Disney World That Never Was, by Christopher E. Smith:

In this unique, extensively researched book, Christopher Smith discusses the many attractions, shows, and resorts that were planned for Walt Disney World, from opening day to the present day, but that exist only in the minds of Imagineers.

You'll find old "favorites" such as Thunder Mesa and Beastly Kingdom, as well as those lost to the pixie dust of time, like Dick Tracy's Crime Stoppers, the Enchanted Snow Palace, and Buffalo Junction...
(http://themeparkpress.com/books/walt-disney-world-never-was.htm)

I ordered my copy on Saturday, and the site offered free shipping to arrive between Thursday and Saturday. Just got my copy TODAY, Monday, two days after ordering (including a Sunday). Not bad!

Didn't expect this thing to be an oversized heavy coffee table book. Thirty-two bucks and free shipping... great deal! Thanks again for the recommendation, @BrianL.

I hope you like it. I've barely scratched the surface of my copy. There's so much in it!

I hope you like it. I've barely scratched the surface of my copy. There's so much in it!
A heck of a lot heavier than I was anticipating. Certainly something I won't be carrying with me for my commute into Manhattan every day.

I enjoyed reading Realityland : true-life adventures at Walt Disney World. It's a great look at the history of WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!