Any Gators in FW?

gilesdad

It's December and we're sleeping in a tent...But H
I've been reading all the boards and websites that I can find in preparation for our first trip to Disney World. We have a 5 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son. We love tent camping and I'm really looking forward to this trip. Aside from the 1100 mile drive from Illinois. My question is...any gators around FW? I've read some passing comments about small gators in the canals around the campground. Being from the cornfields of Central Illinois I think it'd be pretty cool to see a small gator in the wild. You can keep the big ones! :wave:

I've never seen one but I took a picture of one! I took a really neat photo of the sunset from the back beach--with Cindy's castle and Space Mountain and the Contemporary in it--and liked it so much I had it blown up to poster size. It was hanging in my classroom in Tennessee and a parent who was from Florida was admiring it and admired the gator, too!! You could just see the snout and the tail--she said it was probably a 5 footer. Shocked me!!

I also had a Disney pest control fellow tell me one time not to walk the dog close to the canals at night and to watch for glowing eyes at night! I assured him that none of us would be walking there after dark!!! :rotfl:

20+ years going to FW and haven't seen one yet but then I can be looking right at something and still not see it. Must be the tri-focals and age.

Will be back at FW in a couple of weeks and will look again.

If you do a search you will find that there are a number of visitors who have seen gators.

John

I did see a small gator at Ft. Wilderness this past June. It was in the canal behind the sing a long. It was probably 2 feet long, if that. We were standing on the bridge that connects the Meadows to the 600 loop and it swam right under us. The kids thought it was great because it was so small, but I figured if it was a baby, the mama was somewhere close :confused3 ? It was the only time I have seen one there in 20 plus years of going.

Yeah, they're out there. Unless they become a nuisance or a threat, Disney leaves them alone. I have seen a couple at FW, and I regularly see them on the golf course. My friend has a picture of a pretty big one sunning himself on a green at a Disney course, with my buddy's ball right next to him. He let the gator have the ball. It was a good one, too.

I have tent camped in FW several times and no gators at all.

Never have seen any gators in Ft. W. The only time I have seen one was early in the morning about 8 am. DH and I were on a bus (the only ones on the bus besides the driver) and we past a big one lying in the morning sun on the golf course. Driver said he sees them quite often.

bigdisneydaddy said:
They cant sneak up on you at WDW cause they all make that "tic-toc" sound :rotfl:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Glad to see you back, Scott! :wave:

We've walked our dogs many times near the creeks at the pet loop. It's really beautiful in the early morning. Never seen a gator but once my Sheltie stopped, stared at the water and growled. When I looked up I saw a ripple on the otherwise still water. I didn't hear any tick tocks, but needless to say it was a little creepy. :paw:

mrsgus06 said:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Glad to see you back, Scott! :wave:

I have lurked as time allows, I am always around one way or another.

BTW..... didya tell everyone we were cousins yet ?

BTW..... didya tell everyone we were cousins yet ?[/QUOTE]

AHEM!!.....MAY I HAVE EVERYONES ATTENTION? :listen: GOOD!

At the risk of hijacking gilesdad's (SORRY) thread I have a statement to announce.........

BIGDISNEYDADDY AND MYSELF ARE COUSINS!
but Ms. Sundee still likes me better :rotfl2:

We haven't seen gators in the campground, but we have seen them in and around Bay Lake!

mrsgus06 said:
BTW..... didya tell everyone we were cousins yet ?

AHEM!!.....MAY I HAVE EVERYONES ATTENTION? :listen: GOOD!

At the risk of hijacking gilesdad's (SORRY) thread I have a statement to announce.........

BIGDISNEYDADDY AND MYSELF ARE COUSINS!
but Ms. Sundee still likes me better :rotfl2:[/QUOTE]

Dont they have a ride somewhere called "Its a small world" ?? :rotfl:

Yes I have seen the Gator in the lake, was a few years ago. I think I could wrestle him and win !

Also, with all the Florida residents that stay at Ft. Wilderness, unfortunately you see those weird Blue and Orange Gators everywhere :earboy2:

War Eagle!!!!

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter