Any Dopey walkers here?

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
So I had every intension on becoming a walk/runner but due to a piroformis injury I don't think that is going to happen. I have walked Goofy and the unofficial dopey a few years ago along with other races and I did have a training plan for walkers but can't find it now.

Is only else here thinking they will be walking Dopey or have a training plan they can share for a walker?

Thank you

Kim

I am fascinated that someone can cover 26.2 miles while only walking, all within the time constraints..
If that is a 16 minute mile pace, it doesn't leave much time for incidentals like bathroom or photo breaks.
I have to assume you would want to start from the earliest corral possible.

I recently started a walk run type of race and I really like it.
A whole lot of less training to meet my goals and have an enjoyable race.

I am fascinated that someone can cover 26.2 miles while only walking, all within the time constraints..
If that is a 16 minute mile pace, it doesn't leave much time for incidentals like bathroom or photo breaks.
I have to assume you would want to start from the earliest corral possible.
My buddy is coming down this year to do his first marathon. He is a walker and is just doing the marathon but he walks at ~ 12 minute per mile pace. He was able to do a half this Spring - walking the entire way to get a POT/Corral and he did it in 2:34 which is a 11:44/mile pace. So, just because someone says they are a walker doesn't mean they are slow.

I know he is following a training plan for the marathon but I am not sure if it is a walking specific plan. I would think any plan would work for walkers the same way it works for runners.

My normal walking pace is faster than everyone I know and it seems to be 11-minutes per km. If my math is right, that is just over 17-minutes per mile.

So, I'd be included to agree that doing what is traditional thought of as 'walking' would not be sufficient. I'll acknowledge @huskies90 post above with a friend who 'walked' 12-minutes per mile. However, that has to be 'walking' in the Olympic sense, where technique, physical ability, and fitness are on par with running.

EDIT: See my post below for a correction.

Last edited:
Speed walking in the olympic sense is much faster than that. I think it's an average of 7.7 miles per hour which is a pace of less than 8 minutes per mile. So while I'm sure a lot of people can't walk at 12 minutes per mile, it's certainly possible and not olympic level. There's a guy in the local running club who's an older gentleman and not allowed to run any more. But he still walks races and does it at around a 13 minute per mile pace. https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a...-walk-champ-walks-faster-than-most-of-us-run/

Speed walking in the olympic sense is much faster than that. I think it's an average of 7.7 miles per hour which is a pace of less than 8 minutes per mile. So while I'm sure a lot of people can't walk at 12 minutes per mile, it's certainly possible and not olympic level. There's a guy in the local running club who's an older gentleman and not allowed to run any more. But he still walks races and does it at around a 13 minute per mile pace. https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a...-walk-champ-walks-faster-than-most-of-us-run/

I will gladly correct myself.

I got out for a run after posting my previous statement. I thought I'd walk the last kilometer and a bit home. It looks like I could manage 8:45m/km (or 14m/mi) at what I'd describe as a deliberate and focused speed walk. So, I can see 12 and 13 minute per mile walks being entirely feasible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!