Any deals on resorts or do people actually pay full price?

Maybe that's it. We aren't really flexible (work, etc.) - and hotel is important to us, so we won't switch (unless we were at Beach Club, we would switch to Yacht Club).

Maybe that's it. We aren't really flexible (work, etc.) - and hotel is important to us, so we won't switch (unless we were at Beach Club, we would switch to Yacht Club).
That may be it. We're able and willing to switch if need be. We've always had jobs where our vacations aren't set in stone. For August we're staying DVC but decided to add on a couple of nights. I wanted the Polynesian, but that wasn't available so we booked the GF.

Last edited:
So question for the people who NEVER pay rack rate- what's your secret? Anytime a discount has come out, I've called day of and I'm told my category or hotel is already sold out. Even when I get a pin - I call, same thing. Are you switching hotels or something?

You do have to be flexible. We book whatever gets the best price and fits our current budget. Also, we pretty much go when discounts are offered, if discounts are important for the budget that trip. If no discounts are offered and we want to go a particular date, then value or offsite it is!

Our options are becoming more and more limited as a result of increased rack rates and decreased discounts. :(

@Farro Mind if I ask which resort(s), room type, and view category? I'm curious why you've never had a general public discount available, I'm guessing whatever you are booking is in short supply? Maybe a high demand room/view type or something. Are you around Columbus Day weekend?

@Farro Mind if I ask which resort(s), room type, and view category? I'm curious why you've never had a general public discount available, I'm guessing whatever you are booking is in short supply? Maybe a high demand room/view type or something. Are you around Columbus Day weekend?

We always go within last two weeks of October - usually Beach Club. This year we are going 10/25-11/3 at Polynesian. :) Standard views.

AoA has a wonderful theme and does have the two rooms and two bathrooms plus a small kitchenette, which is very nice. I believe that the suites would be about 520 sq ft total (the size of two regular value rooms). FYI: The CR rooms are not really all that small. IIRC, They are well over 400 sq ft (I forget exactly). There are two real queen beds and a comfortable daybed. The toilet is in a separate room from the tub and two sinks, which we find very convenient. Plus there is the balcony in the tower rooms or patio on the ground floor garden view rooms. Even on the garden view 2nd and 3rd floors (where there is no balcony), there is a sliding glass door and a rail so that you can open it to the fresh air and look upon the gorgeous views. The CR location alone is worth a premium price, IMO.

I would keep looking for a discount, but book AoA as a fallback in case no discounts become available. If a discount does become available for your dates, you can always call CRO to upgrade.

Mean while, you are right! The AoA suites are pretty awesome. I do believe that you will love the over the top Disney theming. The food court is a pretty good one, again IMO. Plus you can walk over to POP century (just across the generation Gap bridge) to check out that resort as well.

(I hope that the CDN $$$ improves soon!)

have a great trip!!

Thanks! The theme is also why I chose AoA. Contemporary looks rather boring for kids but I know they will love AoA. We also loved the drawing class at Disneyland so I'm hoping those are still offered at AoA. If we love staying on-site, I will leave Contemporary for another trip during the off season so that it will only cost me one arm instead of an arm and a leg.

Make sure to log into My Disney Experience on the WDW webpage and search for your dates. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, when dates get closer, get an email with a pin code, which can be a package deal or room only deal. Often they are 5-10% more off then what's available to the general public. My mom and I were able to stay at WL for $215/night in February.
Christmas will be difficult, though. From personal experience, Christmas season is special at MK, not just Christmas Day. And I absolutely loved Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party. If you are looking to experience the Christmas season at Magic Kingdom, you can do that anytime from mid November to Christmas. The resorts are decorated from around Thanksgiving to a bit after Christmas. So maybe that'd be an option instead of going to MK on Christmas Day when the park may very well be at capacity.

I can't pull my kids out of school so we can only go during a 2 week window over Christmas/New Years. Plus, the thought of spending Christmas day at MK has me so excited for some reason.

So question for the people who NEVER pay rack rate- what's your secret? Anytime a discount has come out, I've called day of and I'm told my category or hotel is already sold out. Even when I get a pin - I call, same thing. Are you switching hotels or something?

We book what we are willing to pay for at rack rate, and then wait and see if a discount comes out. We haven't paid rack rate in 9 out of 10 trips. We have changed resorts a couple times to get the better deal. I haven't had to change a room type, but I might be willing to. You just have to know when you call to apply the discount what you are willing to change and what you aren't.

We always go within last two weeks of October - usually Beach Club. This year we are going 10/25-11/3 at Polynesian. :) Standard views.

That's a nice long stay! Love it. :thumbsup2

Well, there is plenty of Poly standard view room inventory. I would think it would be highly likely a general public discount would be available for at least some or all of those dates. Sounds like you know the program of jumping on it when discounts are announced, etc. Good luck!

I can only speak for me but I've only had to pay rack rate once or twice, and that was a late planned trip where I wanted a specific room/view category - and those were what I call extreme situations. I don't use TAs, I only book room-only via Disney.

October, always. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...
October is a nasty month for discounts. First week, the only categories at Deluxes that'll inventory for discounts will be higher categories, as many rooms are tied up for Gartner IT. After that, you have Columbus Day. BWI, BC and YC don't require much discounting during F&W. Leaves the Mods and Values, and even they book well without.

There's a reason Free Dining almost never hits October any more. They just don't need to discount that month.

October is a nasty month for discounts. First week, the only categories at Deluxes that'll inventory for discounts will be higher categories, as many rooms are tied up for Gartner IT. After that, you have Columbus Day. BWI, BC and YC don't require much discounting during F&W. Leaves the Mods and Values, and even they book well without.

There's a reason Free Dining almost never hits October any more. They just don't need to discount that month.

Yeah, that's why we never book counting on a discount! :)

The only times we pay full rack rate is when we know there is free dining that week. For us, a family of five Disney adults, the savings on food over a room discount is much higher in that situation.

We have gone to WDW lots, onsite hotels and have never paid rack rate! I won't.
Unfortunately going Christmas is going to be some of the highest rates of the year. I don't know how many or what the family dynamics are. Have you thought of 2 value resort rooms and request them to be adjoining or connecting? That would prob be your cheapest option. I hear you on the CAD. We usually stay deluxe mostly or moderate, but with our CAD so low we booked Pop Century for our Nov/Dec trip.

With FP+ at least you'll be able to get 3 attractions in each park. I've never gone Christmas week but hear MK is the most crowded. At least they have other attractions that you could prob get on. We love people mover, Carousel of Progress, Mickey's Philharmonic, riding the train around. Riding the Paddlewheeler.

It may be of value to book your resort with a TA who specializes in Disney vacations. Make sure they have the Mickey Ears, Ear marked logo on their web site. They can help find you the best deals that will work for your family. And when Disney releases discounts they are on the phone right away applying the discounts to your Res. We always use a TA. I work full time and appreciate the convienence of just firing off an email on the fly asking her to make a payment for me, or and questions without waiting on hold with Disney. And when discounts come out, she's the one on hold! And I'm off to work. Especially nice with the time change. We live on west coast.

The on site perks are worth it IMO. The airport transportation, using WDW transportation, advanced FP + and ADRs, parcel delivery to room, magic bands.

I've got the money saved to pay rack rate, but am hoping for a discount of course. We had 25% off our room the last two trips.

I am just going to say something. Unless I am missing something BIG. There are no travel agents that offer deep discounts nor are there. And there is no way of obtaining those discounts. I have talked to the president of the Four Seasons Chain etc. And there is no way of obtaining those discounts. And I have tried via multiple ways . So either the chains like Mandarin , Four Seasons are telling me fibs. Or there is something going on? And yes that question was rhetorical
What they do at Four Seasons, Mandarin, etc have no bearing on what they do at Disney resorts. Not sure why you are comparing them.
As for deep discounts. You are just wrong. They can be had. PP have given several examples on how to find them.
Most hotels and I would think also the 4 seasons have specail tour operator or group rates.. these are usually at the 50%.. not "normally" made available to single bookings.. though I have myself experienced this and will again this summer..

Thanks everyone. I knew about the codes but as you mentioned, I figured there wouldn't be much around Xmas, and yes, we are planning to be there on the 25th. I really want to see MK on Xmas day. Had not thought about DVC points but I don't see much available at the moment. I'm getting anxious and want to book something soon. The problem is we've been spoiled by having so much room in our off site hotel that it would be really tough to go to a small room with 2 beds and 1 washroom for the 4 of us. In fact, I don't think we'll be able to do it, even though the amount of time spent in the hotel is minimal. As for booking a package with tickets, there is a promo for Canadians right now that gives us a 25% discount on tickets so it's cheaper to buy them separately. Might have to stay off site again this time and leave the resort for another time, perhaps during the off season, or maybe when our dollar is a little stronger!

Addendum: Forgot about the extra 30 days to book FP+ though. I wonder with all the extra people whether I'll even be able to get the rides I want. Might have to reconsider.

We were used to have 2 bedroom condos with 2 baths and kitchen as well. We used to be able to get these at no costs or very little because my in laws were timeshare owners. Those were the days tickets and food money and I could go to Disney. But that is no longer available to us so last time in 2014 we stayed onsite at CSR. 4 of us ina pretty tiny room. You know we didn't miss the room at all. It was so nice to stay in disney the whole time. I never felt pressure to cook because I couldn't. It was less space but was worth it. This year we are going to try a value and see how that works. We only plan to be there to sleep and shower.

Thanks! The theme is also why I chose AoA. Contemporary looks rather boring for kids but I know they will love AoA. We also loved the drawing class at Disneyland so I'm hoping those are still offered at AoA. If we love staying on-site, I will leave Contemporary for another trip during the off season so that it will only cost me one arm instead of an arm and a leg.

I can't pull my kids out of school so we can only go during a 2 week window over Christmas/New Years. Plus, the thought of spending Christmas day at MK has me so excited for some reason.
Make sure you are at the MK early that day otherwise you might be shut out. It closes several times during the day because of crowds and sometimes being an onsite guest doesn't even help.

We have paid resort rates with packages on moderates when our kids were little. Several times we did get PIN codes in the mail but the dates never worked for us. In 2013 we rented points for AKL and never looked back. We will be using rented points for our third stay at BWV this fall. I'm sure Christmas 2017 is booked out but usually you can begin trying to rent points 11 months before your planned trip. If you are flexible with dates you can see decorations beginning Thanksgiving weekend. I just realized that rental agencies cannot be named on these boards but just google Disney Vacation rental and you will find the most popular rental sites. If you compare renting points with any travel package the savings are great. I find point rental agencies wonderful to work with - everything is the same as booking thru Disney or a travel agent except the dining plan. You do need to arrange that thru the member but the agency takes care of it. Magic Express and online check-in are available. We don't do the dining but the savings has allowed us to eat at great restaurants, book tours, and visit more often. I am a teacher and I know that the Swan/Dolphin had teacher discounts, too.

Last edited:
We stayed at the BC last year in the week leading up to Christmas last year. I was able to get a discount through 12/23 that was about 20% off the the rack rate. At that time of year, being onsite is definitely helpful because the parks were crowded! We picked this hotel because it had the biggest discount. We left before the worst of the crowds.

To get that discount, I talked to numerous travel agents and the deal I got was not a public offer. You are going to have to be flexible on resort or be willing to pay rack rate. Also be prepared for how to manage the parks when it's super crowded!!

Make sure you are at the MK early that day otherwise you might be shut out. It closes several times during the day because of crowds and sometimes being an onsite guest doesn't even help.
Actually, it's been many years since on site guests were shut out of MK. The only guests shut out any more have been guests walking up to buy single day tickets. The last time someone on site was shut out New Fantasy Land didn't exist. It's been said that with the addition of that area they will no longer ever reach a point where on site guests are shut out

We have never paid full price for a room at Disney and we have traveled October, November, during December up until Dec. 22; January, February, March, April, and June. One time we got a PIN in the mail and sometimes we have bought one AP to qualify for room discounts and other times we rented DVC points. And years ago we were lucky enough to have a discount club offered by our employers.

It used to be easier and cheaper to rent DVC points but it's still possible to save money doing this if you can travel other than F & W and most of December and if you can plan at least 11 months ahead. People have mentioned using discount travel agencies that purchase blocks of rooms from Disney and offer them cheaper than most Disney discounts. I looked into this last fall and did find some good discounts. In the end, we decided to rent points for a DVC studio at the Poly which actually ended up being cheaper than the agency's Poly discount room rate. We are not allowed to name this agency on the DIS nor through email/private messages but it is very easy to search for online using something like discount Disney travel. Just look at the links that come up and what they offer as specials. Some of the Disney blogs also reference this agency.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you will enjoy Christmas at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter