Anthem or Adventure for an 8 year old

WishUponAStarryNight

DIS Veteran
We've done 4 cruises on DCL with a 5th booked, but I was looking at some lesser expensive options out of NYC to Bermuda for next summer and found that Anthem does a 5-night to Bermuda, while Adventure has an 8 night to Bermuda and the Bahamas. Both are nearly the same price for our party of two. DS7 loves the Aqua Duck, MDA, the pools (not my favorite), the shows and the overall vibe of DCL. He's less and less into the characters, though he'll stand in line for Mickey every time. I've looked at YouTube videos of both Anthem and Adventure and, while Adventure seems a bit more dated in its decor, Anthem doesn't scream "bring your family and have fun on this ship." I've read a couple Anthem reviews and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of kid-friendly entertainment. I'd rather a shorter cruise to test the waters with a different line, but I'm wondering if the older Adventure of the Seas, even though it has a longer itinerary, might be a better choice for us given the pool set up, the slides, etc. For those who have done either or both ships, what do you recommend? Thanks!

We've done 4 cruises on DCL with a 5th booked, but I was looking at some lesser expensive options out of NYC to Bermuda for next summer and found that Anthem does a 5-night to Bermuda, while Adventure has an 8 night to Bermuda and the Bahamas. Both are nearly the same price for our party of two. DS7 loves the Aqua Duck, MDA, the pools (not my favorite), the shows and the overall vibe of DCL. He's less and less into the characters, though he'll stand in line for Mickey every time. I've looked at YouTube videos of both Anthem and Adventure and, while Adventure seems a bit more dated in its decor, Anthem doesn't scream "bring your family and have fun on this ship." I've read a couple Anthem reviews and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of kid-friendly entertainment. I'd rather a shorter cruise to test the waters with a different line, but I'm wondering if the older Adventure of the Seas, even though it has a longer itinerary, might be a better choice for us given the pool set up, the slides, etc. For those who have done either or both ships, what do you recommend? Thanks!

FYI Adventure just had an extensive refurbishment.

My 9 year old prefers Explorer Class over Quantum class, and so do I. Although Anthem is the most technologically advanced ship I have sailed, and it is an all weather vessel for colder weather, it misses the mark for our family. Adventurer wins for its size, passenger count, ice skating and more. Also it just returned to service in February after an extensive weeks long revitalization. Lastly, IMO, 8 is always better than 5 at the same price.

My 9 year old prefers Explorer Class over Quantum class, and so do I. Although Anthem is the most technologically advanced ship I have sailed, and it is an all weather vessel for colder weather, it misses the mark for our family. Adventurer wins for its size, passenger count, ice skating and more. Also it just returned to service in February after an extensive weeks long revitalization. Lastly, IMO, 8 is always better than 5 at the same price.
Thanks. This is very helpful. I'll see what I can find out about the refurb.

Anthem has the SeaPlex, which kids appear to love. You can roller skate, do circus trapeze work, play various video games, ping pong, soccer, basketball, and it is right next to the rock climbing wall. There is also the Flowrider surfing area. They also have the sky flying area Ripcord. There are TONS of things for kids to do.
Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter