Another variation on "can I do it in one day?"

tentaguasu

Mouseketeer
I know variations on this have been asked many times, but let me throw out my specific situation and see what you all think.

My priority is Harry Potter. That's why I'm going. Anything else is gravy. I take it that HP in one day is doable, even at a fairly relaxed pace. I'll be spending one full day with a park-to-park ticket and early admission (staying at Endless Summer for one night). This will be off peak time later in the year, but let's assume for the sake of argument that capacity and procedures will be back to normal.

My basic question is, if I do all of Harry Potter at a relaxed, "take it all in pace" how many (if any) of these can I also get in? I'm willing to do the single rider lines. This is in my order of preference.

Velocicoaster
Spiderman
Revenge of the Mummy
Jurassic Park Water Ride
Bourne Stunt Spectacular

I want to arrive at US, and head straight for Harry Potter, then head over to IoA, and probably end the day back at US. Nothing else at US/IoA really appeals to me, so it's HP plus gravy. The question is, how much gravy can I get in?

Thanks for any insights

It's easy to spend a full day doing HP stuff depending on how much you want to geek out on it. Take a look at this HP itinerary https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/harry-potter-world-plan/

I think you should be able to get most of those extras in but Velocicoaster will be a challenge. Hagrid's wait is also a wild card. I would probably hit Mummy upon entry if the line is short. It's on your walk back to HP and it's a great ride.

If all single rider lines open you should be able to do everything except the Bourne show. You just wont know how many showings they’ll have, and how those times will line up with the time you have left in the day.

I know variations on this have been asked many times, but let me throw out my specific situation and see what you all think.

My priority is Harry Potter. That's why I'm going. Anything else is gravy. I take it that HP in one day is doable, even at a fairly relaxed pace. I'll be spending one full day with a park-to-park ticket and early admission (staying at Endless Summer for one night). This will be off peak time later in the year, but let's assume for the sake of argument that capacity and procedures will be back to normal.

My basic question is, if I do all of Harry Potter at a relaxed, "take it all in pace" how many (if any) of these can I also get in? I'm willing to do the single rider lines. This is in my order of preference.

Velocicoaster
Spiderman
Revenge of the Mummy
Jurassic Park Water Ride
Bourne Stunt Spectacular

I want to arrive at US, and head straight for Harry Potter, then head over to IoA, and probably end the day back at US. Nothing else at US/IoA really appeals to me, so it's HP plus gravy. The question is, how much gravy can I get in?

Thanks for any insights
Are you alone? Can you do single rider? (that will save alot of time)

Best advice is to study the Maps and take advantage of your early morn entry advantage.
I recommend you plan to go straight to Hagrids in the early morn at Islands of Adventure (including early arrival to be close to front of crowd... because you really should plan a-return later at night to drive that motorcycle in dark !

I also insist you take the time to plan the Bourne Stunt Show
Spectacular because it is! Do not miss! Better than all of HP...you just have to plan for it because it is a live stage performance and they obviously require specific stage showtimes....

Will you be visiting for any of the holidays ?

Last edited:
I guess you have to ask yourself how important is it for you to follow the book. Because then you have to start in London (Universal) and then cross over to Hogwarts (Islands). And this is the pattern that most people follow so is more crowded takes up more time. The train/king's cross is what can waste alot of time if you follow the normal pattern as it can take between 60 min - 90 min.

I guess you have to ask yourself how important is it for you to follow the book. Because then you have to start in London (Universal) and then cross over to Hogwarts (Islands). And this is the pattern that most people follow so is more crowded takes up more time. The train/king's cross is what can waste alot of time if you follow the normal pattern as it can take between 60 min - 90 min.

That's interesting. Of course, I'd *like* to do that, but I'm not sure it's worth slowing me down.

Best advice is to study the Maps and take advantage of your early morn entry advantage.
I recommend you plan to go straight to Hagrids in the early morn at Islands of Adventure (including early arrival to be close to front of crowd... because you really should plan a-return later at night to drive that motorcycle in dark !
I love exploring the Diagon Alley at night . And also love the dramatic difference in night and day as you explore.
Love Universal lights and music at night!

First, thanks for the wonderfully detailed reply! Very helpful. So you agree with Pooh's World to start at IoA. I can do that. But then doesn't that kill the possibility of doing Diagon Alley at night? (unless I live with only going one direction on the train). Is it better to start at IoA and then end my day at Diagon Alley (including evening) and only have one way on the train or is it better to start at Diagon Alley, go to IoA and return to Diagon Alley? I'm thinking based on your views, I'm better off starting at IoA?

Will you be visiting for any of the holidays ?

Yes, year end (I'm planning way ahead....)

I’m going to Universal today and will keep your itinerary in my thoughts to give better advice.
Which holiday?

That's interesting. Of course, I'd *like* to do that, but I'm not sure it's worth slowing me down.

First, thanks for the wonderfully detailed reply! Very helpful. So you agree with Pooh's World to start at IoA. I can do that. But then doesn't that kill the possibility of doing Diagon Alley at night? (unless I live with only going one direction on the train). Is it better to start at IoA and then end my day at Diagon Alley (including evening) and only have one way on the train or is it better to start at Diagon Alley, go to IoA and return to Diagon Alley? I'm thinking based on your views, I'm better off starting at IoA?

Yes, year end (I'm planning way ahead....)

Anything after Dec 17th the crowds are alot bigger. So if you can somehow get there before then that's good.

What you do is you ride the train each way (it's different) during the off peak times.
The other times you want to switch parks walk to the front gate of each park and cross over (that only takes between 15-20 minutes)

Look at the Ride Wait Time Graph:
https://touringplans.com/universal-studios-florida/wait-timesThen you can schedule what ride to ride when it's the shortest wait.
Mummy for example will be at 60 minutes and then drop to walk on/0 mintues at different times of the day.

Hagrid's you do want to do once when it is dark (as then the headlights and red rear lights in the dark is fun.

I’m going to Universal today and will keep your itinerary in my thoughts to give better advice.
Which holiday?

Wow, that'd be awesome! Any further thoughts you have are much appreciated. I'll be there in early December, so Christmas. (Again, I'm planning way ahead...)

Hi
Anyway you can save and buy the Express Pass for yourself?
I was really surprised with crowds today! A random Thursday .
Do children not go to school at all anymore?
Maybe the “crowding “ was result of large groups walking together , slowing movement as a result.
I need to rethink my advice. I could walk from IOA to Universal a lot faster than the train so maybe just one way . It was at 60 minutes early morn today!
Crowds don’t normally bother me ...

I do take it back if your one day is at Christmas. I would stay onsite and get your early entry and express passes (EPs come with Hard Rock., RP, and Portofino). I doubt capacities will still be as tight as they are now but people were shut out of the parks this Christmas withing minutes of opening because parks hit capacity. Onsite guests had priority entry access.

If you have a night at an on-site, I believe you can do early entry both days. You should try for that.
My son one day spent three hours straight in Knockturn Alley casting spells over and over and over again.... so.... yeah... depends on how much you want to explore really.

I do take it back if your one day is at Christmas. I would stay onsite and get your early entry and express passes (EPs come with Hard Rock., RP, and Portofino). I doubt capacities will still be as tight as they are now but people were shut out of the parks this Christmas withing minutes of opening because parks hit capacity. Onsite guests had priority entry access.

Just to be clear, I mean Christmas season, not Christmas day. We'll be there one day, somewhere between Dec. 5 and Dec. 10. So, if it's anything like WDW, probably a fairly low time.

Much really depends on the crowd size. We're usually at the parks in the busy holidays (Thanksgiving, Spring Break, Presidents' Day), so I probably don't have a good gauge of what an uncrowded UO looks like.

But I can say that you can easily spend the whole day just doing HP stuff and still wish for more time. Between the rides, shows, shops, and Hogwarts Express, there really is a lot to squeeze in 1 day. Take a look at https://www.disboards.com/threads/wizarding-world-touring-plans-and-details.3666427/, which is a great guide for HP.

Hagrids is the one thing that can really throw a wrench in your plans. If you go there during EE and the line is long, you can end up missing out on a good opportunity to do FJ and walk around Hogsmeade with smallish crowds. But if you don't do it early, you might get stuck in longer lines later...

Hagrids is the one thing that can really throw a wrench in your plans. If you go there during EE and the line is long, you can end up missing out on a good opportunity to do FJ and walk around Hogsmeade with smallish crowds. But if you don't do it early, you might get stuck in longer lines later...

I also prefer not to walk around Hogsmeade when the crowds are huge. (For some reason Hogsmeade gets alot more crowded than Diagon Alley)
So early in morning is best time to walk around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter