Another Tuxedo Question

johnf

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

My DW and almost 6 year old DS and I will be on the Magic cruise on 3/9/02 and we are having the tuxedo or not debate. My DW has already purchased a beautiful purple sequinned gown for the trip and wants my DS and I to wear matching tuxedos so that we can get a really nice formal picture.

Will there be enough others on the ship who wear tuxedos to not make us feel self-conscious or should we stick to dark suits instead? My DS has also stated that she will not wear the new dress if we are not in tuxedos because she says that she'll be uncomfortable.

Please help us out!

Thanks!

johnf
Palm Harbor, FL:smooth:

We went on the Magic 12/15 and there were lots of men in tuxes - including my DH. I would go for it - it was nice to see everyone so dressed up.

Do it for your wife. But you'll enjoy it for yourself. Dressing up is fun. How often do you get to dress up in a tux and enjoy it? How often do you get to take a formal portrait with Mickey in his tails or Minnie in her ball gown? How often do you get to see your DW in a beautiful purple sequinned gown? There will be enough people doing it that you won't feel overdressed. And there will be just enough people <i>not</i> dressing up to that level that you'll enjoy all the admiring looks you'll get.

Your DS6 won't find many of his peers wearing tuxes, though. Some will, but he will definitely be in the minority for kids his ages. Whether or not he wears a tux, go ahead and wear one yourself and let your wife enjoy her gown.

I would also consider buying a tux. I was able to get a basic black one for under $200 new - and the rental runs about $80. If you plan on cruising regularly, it'll pay for itself.

I didn't think it would - I've worn it five times in two years.

gscott is right - my husband purchased a used tux - a good rental place likes to rotate their stock every few months, so this tux looked BRAND new! He wore it two nights on the cruise, and three more times for weddings, black tie events! It has certainly paid for itself - even if he had only worn it on the cruise!

And, I love the "matching" idea for your son - some might think it corny, but my DD7 and I wore a few matching dresses during the week and we got so many compliments! Tropical night we ALL matched - a Disney tropical set - dresses for us, shirt for DH. Another family had the same outfit on - we were going to pose for a huge group picture!:)

I got Matt's (age 6) tux on ebay for less than half the price of a rental. Our pictures looked great.

Go for the tux ! I'm on the 1/26 Magic and I've rented a tux for my 11 yr old son. Your wife will love it that you both dressed up!

My nine year old wore a tux. There were a few other kids wearing them. They sure looked cute. I was able to negotiate a deal with my local men's shop when i rented my husband and son's tux. It is the slow time of the year for them. We got both for about ten days for $85 total. Check around in your community and see if anyone else does this. I would have spent more than that for the dress up clothes for my son, and at the rate he is growing, it really wasn't worth it to me to purchase the dress up clothes for him. hope this helps.

People here are sooo helpful!

....thinking about renting the tuxedo now...

How many dinner evenings are there where the tuxedo would normally be worn? Sorry, the dinner rotations are a little confusing to me.

5 days and counting!!

How long do you get to keep the $80 dollar Tux rental? (one night or both nights for the seven day cruise.)
Planning a seven day in 2003 and have 2 men and 1 teenager that will need a Tux.

If you order through the company that DCL uses you have it for the duration of the cruise.

I got a tux from a local store and they had no problem with an extended rental and did not charge me extra.

This is really more of a personal preference, there's not a right or wrong answer. I can tell you that I never wore a tux, and I would estimate only about 15-20% of the guys wore a tux on formal nights. A nice dark suit and tie would do just fine IMHO. If it's worth the cost and your DW really wants you to do it then go for it. If you really rather not wear a tux you won't be alone- in fact you'll be in the majority.

Finally, we had a formal night the last night of the cruise in Lumierres. Since everyone had begun packing, last night, etc. almost all guys were casual.

I agree with those who suggested checking into buying a tux. My DH bought one for our wedding and has worn it countless times since. I think the whole deal came to less than $200. It's a great investment if you like to cruise.

I personally think it's fun to dress up once in awhile. I love the formal portraits we've had taken on cruises, they just wouldn't be the same without the formal attire.

DH and I and DD12 and DS7 were on the 7 day magic this year. We, as a family, dressed formally for both formal nights. DH bought a tux, we rented one for DS and DD wore her first-ever evening gown. I also wore a beaded and chiffon evening gown. The pictures were beyond wonderful! We had formal family portraits done both nights and had a cast member take the pictures with our camera as well once the photographer had set up the shot. We also had various groupings done with Mickey and Minnie in their formal wear. Several of these pictures are now in my office and we had a family group shot reprinted for our Christmas cards. They were well worth the price of the tuxedos!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter