Another resort dilemma....

Mommy Poppins

DIS Veteran
I am tentatively planning a quick trip to WDW in September (9/10-9/15) before my DH heads to Afghanistan. We would be a party of seven (7), DH, me, DD17, DS14, DS11 and nephew and great-nephew (4-turning 5 on the trip).

My family has been to Disney many times and usually stays for 8-10 nights. Since the kids will be back in school, this will probably be one of the shortest trips we have ever taken at only 4-5 nights. Our favorite resorts is the CR in a TPV room. If it was just the five of us, that's where we'd be!!

My DH does not like the buses so we will be renting a vehicle and using it for transportation to the parks. We will be using the 4 day Armed Forces Salute tickets.

Originally, I had thought to stay at Shades of Green to keep costs down. However, with this being my great-nephew's first trip (and birthday), I'd like to stay at a Disney resort. Then free dining came out for our dates so even paying rack rate for the rooms with a 2 day base ticket (and then upgrading to the AFS tickets) is a little cheaper than using the military discount on the room and paying for meals. We will upgrade the 6 adult tickets to the AFS tickets and then upgrade the child's ticket to a 4 day hopper through Disney.

I am trying to decide between 2 rooms at PORiverside or 2 rooms at CBR. Like I said, it is going to be a quick trip so not a lot of pool time, although as hot and humid as September is, we will definitely use the pool. I like the queen beds at PORiverside, but it is not a major deal to us. We would also be okay with double beds.

Which resort would you stay at and why?

I am tentatively planning a quick trip to WDW in September (9/10-9/15) before my DH heads to Afghanistan. We would be a party of seven (7), DH, me, DD17, DS14, DS11 and nephew and great-nephew (4-turning 5 on the trip).

My family has been to Disney many times and usually stays for 8-10 nights. Since the kids will be back in school, this will probably be one of the shortest trips we have ever taken at only 4-5 nights. Our favorite resorts is the CR in a TPV room. If it was just the five of us, that's where we'd be!!

My DH does not like the buses so we will be renting a vehicle and using it for transportation to the parks. We will be using the 4 day Armed Forces Salute tickets.

Originally, I had thought to stay at Shades of Green to keep costs down. However, with this being my great-nephew's first trip (and birthday), I'd like to stay at a Disney resort. Then free dining came out for our dates so even paying rack rate for the rooms with a 2 day base ticket (and then upgrading to the AFS tickets) is a little cheaper than using the military discount on the room and paying for meals. We will upgrade the 6 adult tickets to the AFS tickets and then upgrade the child's ticket to a 4 day hopper through Disney.

I am trying to decide between 2 rooms at PORiverside or 2 rooms at CBR. Like I said, it is going to be a quick trip so not a lot of pool time, although as hot and humid as September is, we will definitely use the pool. I like the queen beds at PORiverside, but it is not a major deal to us. We would also be okay with double beds.

POR for sure. Its so much prettier. The grounds are gorgeous! I love the pool, the food court, bike rentals, and the boat to DTD! And the queen beds are a bonus. :thumbsup2

Are the royal rooms at PO Riverside really "girly"?

Or, if I book a standard room, can I request to be in AB???

Can't help you on resorts. Just wanted to say a big thank you to your DH for his service :)

Are the royal rooms at PO Riverside really "girly"?

Or, if I book a standard room, can I request to be in AB???

You can request a room in AB if you book standard, but since all the preferred buildings are in AB, you will likely be relegated to the outskirts of the property (since you have a car, that may not be a problem for parks, but it could be a problem for using the amenities at the resort (especially given the heat/humidity of September). You may want to book a preferred room, which guarantees AB and a closer location.

The Royal rooms don't seem too "girly." Yes there are princessy touches, but its mostly just a fancier looking room than a typical POR room plus the fiberoptic headboards. I wouldn't worry too much about that for boys, although they probably won't really appreciate it any more than a regular room so it may not be worth the money. Once again, the Royal Rooms are among the most far-flung at POR so the distance issue comes into play. I would probably spend the money on a preferred room rather than on a Royal Room.

If you are used to CR tower, CBR and POR are both going to feel very spread out to you. CBR, particularly. While you can luck out at both with a standard room (POR seems to have more decent standard locations) given the time of year I would recommend booking preferred.

I may be a little biased, but we absolutely love POR!! It's our home away from home. We have stayed at CBR before also. Once we stayed at POR, we have never been back. Also, a huge thanks to your DH for his service!!!

I am tentatively planning a quick trip to WDW in September (9/10-9/15) before my DH heads to Afghanistan. We would be a party of seven (7), DH, me, DD17, DS14, DS11 and nephew and great-nephew (4-turning 5 on the trip). ...

If you don't get connecting rooms, are you and the husband willing to split up for the trip? None of the kids are old enough to stay in the room alone. At least one would need to be 18.

If you don't get connecting rooms, are you and the husband willing to split up for the trip? None of the kids are old enough to stay in the room alone. At least one would need to be 18.

My nephew is actually 26. He and his son would be rooming with my two boys.

Of the 2 we have only stayed at Carribean Beach. We did not like it and would love to try Port Orleans. CB was just to big and spread out for us. Thank your Dh for his service for us. I wish I had the chance to do a trip with Ds before he goes on his ship tour in August.

Both are big resorts but CBR is much more gigantic. It is huge and has 7 bus stops. POR has 4. You will not want to be walking in that September humid heat. POR for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter