Another question about the GKTW experience

Beast fan

DIS Veteran
Hello,

This is my first post on the disABILITIES! board of the DIS (I've just been a lurker on THIS board until now.). I've actually only visited this section of the DIS about 10 times, so the question I have may have already been answered.

As background, my son, David, was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) in November, 2004. His "wish" will be done through "Rainbow Connection" (locally based in Michigan). One of the options for his wish is a trip to any of the parks in Orlando, staying at GKTW. I have looked at their website and like/love what I see. We are DVC members, so we would probably use this trip to see the "other parks" in the area.

My wife's concern is this ...... that it will be too depressing staying at GKTW. She feels that, because most of the children there have an illness/disABILITY, David will end up feeling sorry for himself and/or depressed and that the trip would be depressing. Is that the case? Is it depressing at GKTW? Your extreme honesty is requested, should you desire to respond.

Thanks everyone.

Regards,
Dave

We have not been on a WISH trip personally, but I can say that I have read almost every post about MAW or GKTW on all the DIS Boards for the past few years and I have read a lot of articles about GKTW over the years.

From what I have read, it is a very joyful place. One of the positives people have mentioned is that because everyone else there has a child with a life threatening condition, that becomes something that no one needs to think about (I don't know if this makes sense, but I hope it does). Some of the families are there because they are facing a difficult time ahead; some are there to celebrate having gotten thru the difficult time. But, everyone is there to have a good time with their family.

Personally, I work in the REHAB field. I've had a lot of people tell me that they would find my place of work depressing because we see people who have had devistating accidents or health problems. To me, though, it's not depressing; we work to help people put their lives back together. We can't do anything about the past and what has happened, but we can change the future. Maybe we can't make it the way it was before, but we can make the best future for that person, given the set of circumstances that they have now. So, I'm not depressed for what we can't do; I am happy for what we can. From everything I have read about GKTW, it's that sort of place and the people in general have that sort of philiospohy.
All the GKTW staff are there because they want to be there. I also know that they love to have people come back after WISH trips if they are able.
Hopefully, you will get a lot of responses from people who have been on WISH trips. But, I wanted to give an "outsider's" view too.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a good trip.

Depressing? I suppose it could be if you let it. It never ocurred to me to be depressed. What we saw when we were there were people just like us - letting go and relaxing and smiling - having a REAL VACATION!

We were all in similar dire straits - rough waters ahead kind of lives - but when you get to GKTW you are suddenly removed from reality for just a little while and kept as busy as you like and treated like Kings and Queens and Princes and Princesses.

Since it is so family oriented it's also wonderful for the siblings of the wish kid too.

We are also DVC, but I do hope you take a day to go to MK. A day at MK as a wish kid is an experience that will never be equaled. Before you go, take advantage of the info the volunteers at GKTW have to offer about MK. As much as we think we know it all - we don't. Universal is also incredible. Wish Kids are very very special people, and you will hate to have it end.

ENJOY and RELAX!!! :grouphug:

Not depressing at all. What my daughter seen were other children like her, helped her to realize that she was not the only one fighting for her health. Me, everyone looked normal and everyone looked like they were having a grand time. The children loved it and it was great seeing them playing around GKTW. Everyone at GKTW was awesome and not once did I feel the least bit depressed. My daughter was probably the happiest she'd been in a long time too.

Hi. I am new to this message board. I wanted to share my experience about GKTW. The place is awesome!!!! My son had the best time there. I can say that GKTW is truly wonderful and I am very thankful for the opportunity my family had to visit there.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciated your honesty. It's just that DW is just as concerned about DS's mental health as much as his physical health. Maybe we've overthought the situation a bit (okay, more than a bit). I think I have DW convinced on the Orlando trip to GKTW.

Sincerely,
Dave

I had concerns about this as well when my ds went on his wish trip. He was diagnosed when he was 22 months with AML and he's 5 now (we went in Dec.). He has no idea that his "sick blood" was life threatening, and although we told his siblings when he was diagnosed that it was life threatening, they either don't remember or don't think that it is anymore so my concern was that someone would say something to him (he's been in remission for almost two years) or he would wonder if he was sick again because he was around so many people that were, but it wasn't like that at all. There were so many families with siblings, it was really just a vacation, geared exclusively toward children! Not SICK children, just children! The volunteers were great and most of our conversations centered around "where are you from?" We met one man that used to live where we live and told us a great deal of the history of the area, very interesting. It was not depressing at all, our kids would have been happy to have spent our entire vacation just at the village!

Thank you, mrsbornkuntry :worship: !!!!!!

That's what DW's concern was! We are now looking forward to the trip (hopefully in June or July 2005).

I'll share your post with DW.

Regards,
Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter