Another dining plan yay or nay post

JasonV

Earning My Ears
After reading all the opinions from this board and others suggesting that the dining plan is rarely worth it, I was convinced that we would just live with paying OOP. Then I started to do some math and am thinking that the plan could actually save some money depending on our choices.

travelling with DW (2 adults) for 4 nights staying at AKL.

We’re already thinking of going to Ohana and Boma for two dinners which with the latest price increases got me thinking. We will most likely have drinks with lunch and dinner meals.

If we were to put together days at MK and AK with the following meals, seems like we will come out ahead.

AK - Satu’li Canteen + Boma
MK - BOG + Ohana

Looking for other opinions for maximizing the other days.

HS day we are thinking of doing the boardwalk at night so considering a dinner there. Ale and compass?

Also will probably do MK on our first day so may need a dinner nearby. The Wave?

Open to any and all suggestions.

I think the dining plan can be worth it, if you do the kind of planning you’re already looking at. Take a look at the menus, including the alcoholic beverages, price out what you would spend, and compare it to the price of the plan.

^^ I agree (along with considering price of character meals you are planning for). It's the same discussion whenever this gets asked.

After reading all the opinions from this board and others suggesting that the dining plan is rarely worth it, I was convinced that we would just live with paying OOP. Then I started to do some math and am thinking that the plan could actually save some money depending on our choices.

We’re already thinking of going to Ohana and Boma for two dinners which with the latest price increases got me thinking. We will most likely have drinks with lunch and dinner meals.

If we were to put together days at MK and AK with the following meals, seems like we will come out ahead.

MK - BOG + Ohana

HS day we are thinking of doing the boardwalk at night so considering a dinner there. Ale and compass?

Also will probably do MK on our first day so may need a dinner nearby. The Wave?

Hs day you could do 50s Prime Time. Food is great and experience is a lot of fun. On your MK day consider Trails End at Forr Wilderness or Whispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge. Both are acceaaible by boat from MK.

It really is a math exercise. Set up a spreadsheet and do the math.

W alcohol options, pricier restaurants it absolutely can be worth it.

Which dining plan are you thinking about doing? Do you drink alcohol?

The last time I went I came out about $20 ahead for the 4 night trip.

Just plan out your meals and then see if it works. It would work on the two days you have listed. If you continue on like that, then you can break even or come out ahead. If you want flexibility for your other two days or light eating, then it may not be for you.

Here's my take on it for what it's worth.... if you follow your dining plans to a tee, you'll do fine or break even if you go to buffets, have an alcoholic drink with meals, and order higher priced items at sit down restaurants.

But life doesn't always follow a plan. What happens if someone isn't hungry or falls ill? What if you decide to forego a meal because you've found something exciting to do at the moment? There goes the cost savings.

So from my perspective, dedicate a credit card (with rewards) to dining and then you won't feel compelled to follow your preconceived plan.

Good luck with your planning and enjoy your trip!

MK - BOG + Ohana

I think if your meals follow that pattern you will at least break even. If you dine on the Boardwalk price out a few meals there to see if your entrees are going to add up , and then look at cocktails. If you plan one each your meal will be covered.

Do you snack or will you use the two snacks to make a breakfast? You can easily spend upwards of $10 per day per person on snacks if you do eat between meals, or want three meals per day.

BOG wines can be $17 per glass.

In DHS we tend to have our CS meal at the Backlot Express. THey have some nice seasona cocktails if you are inclined, and my DGD loved the seasonal beverage they had. Some kind of hot chocolate frozen thing.
I suggest Tratorria Al Forno on the Boardwalk. It is one of our favorites.

I think this is not bad. With a cocktail and a glass of wine tax and gratuity we would most likely spend this or very close to this.
Here's my take on it for what it's worth.... if you follow your dining plans to a tee, you'll do fine or break even if you go to buffets, have an alcoholic drink with meals, and order higher priced items at sit down restaurants.

But life doesn't always follow a plan. What happens if someone isn't hungry or falls ill? What if you decide to forego a meal because you've found something exciting to do at the moment? There goes the cost savings.

So from my perspective, dedicate a credit card (with rewards) to dining and then you won't feel compelled to follow your preconceived plan.

Good luck with your planning and enjoy your trip!

That has happened to us where one of my kids get sick and me and hubby take turns staying in the room with sick kid. We have “lost out” on dining credits due to this. I just like the flexibility of not doing the plan.

That has happened to us where one of my kids get sick and me and hubby take turns staying in the room with sick kid. We have “lost out” on dining credits due to this. I just like the flexibility of not doing the plan.
The first time someone got sick during a stay with a dining plan (me) no one thought to order room service (why again, me, LOL) .
The second time, I passed around the room menu which on the plan is generally 2 TS and it was fine since the sicky didn't want to eat anyway; no wasted TS credits that trip but it did change our plans for the next day's meal a bit.

It depends on the person if you really “save” money or not. It can really be worth it if you eat a lot of food or drink alcohol. I don’t do either one of those things, so no matter how much I save on the dining plan, I’m still spending / eating more than I would without a dining plan.

For me, the biggest value to the dining plan is that it’s all paid for and it encourages me to try stuff I normally wouldn’t consider. I’ve done it with and without, it just depends.

There really isn’t a right or wrong answer here, just remember to use all of your credits.

Have been there and really liked it!

As for the dining plan, it's definitely a case-by-case thing - we've done it some trips and not others. It's nice not to have to think about cost meal-to-meal, but last time we went, we did spend a little less without it. The new (since that trip) addition of alcoholic beverages might tip the bottom line in your favor, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter