Annual Reading Challenge 2019

35/75 The Butterfly’s Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe

A friend recommended this, and I enjoyed it very much. It is the story of a family coming together to mourn the loss of a member. It’s also the story of the Monarch butterflies who make the journey to Mexico every fall. That’s a migration that’s nearly unbelievable, but it’s true.

Thank you for mentioning this book. It was unique, interesting and well written. The Butterfly's Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe is my 63rd out of 104 goal.

20. Barefoot : A Novel by Elin Hilderbrand. Let my say I loved the end. At times in the middle, I didn’t love or even like the book. One character in particular. But I am very very glad I read this.

24/50 - Of Blood and Bone: Chronicles of The One Book 2 by Nora Roberts. Genre - Fantasy
They look like an everyday family living an ordinary life. But beyond the edges of this peaceful farm, unimaginable forces of light and dark have been unleashed.

Fallon Swift, approaching her thirteenth birthday, barely knows the world that existed before - the city where her parents lived, now in ruins and reclaimed by nature since the Doom sickened and killed billions. Traveling anywhere is a danger, as vicious gangs of Raiders and fanatics called Purity Warriors search for their next victim. Those like Fallon, in possession of gifts, are hunted - and the time is coming when her true nature, her identity as The One, can no longer be hidden.

In a mysterious shelter in the forest, her training is about to begin under the guidance of Mallick, whose skills have been honed over centuries. She will learn the old ways of healing; study and spar; encounter faeries and elves and shifters; and find powers within herself she never imagined. And when the time is right, she will take up the sword, and fight. For until she grows into the woman she was born to be, the world outside will never be whole again.

I am looking forward to Book 3 coming out later this year.

28/50 - The Lucky One Nicolas Sparks I can't remember what brought this book to mind but I thought I'd reread it when it did. Enjoyable as always.

36/50 An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
“Newlyweds, Celestial and Roy, are the embodiment of both the American Dream and the New South. He is a young executive and she is artist on the brink of an exciting career. They are settling into the routine of their life together, when they are ripped apart by circumstances neither could have imagined. Roy is arrested and sentenced to twelve years for a crime Celestial knows he didn’t commit. Though fiercely independent, Celestial finds herself bereft and unmoored, taking comfort in Andre, her childhood friend, and best man at their wedding. As Roy’s time in prison passes, she is unable to hold on to the love that has been her center. After five years, Roy’s conviction is suddenly overturned, and he returns to Atlanta ready to resume their life together.”

This book was an interesting look at a life vastly different than my own experience. While I enjoyed it, I didn’t love it.

37/50 The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman
A mash-up of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, as only Neil Gaiman & Chris Riddell could do. Loved it!

When the English Fall by David Williams
Explores how an Amish community fares when civilization falls apart across the world. This was an unusually calm & reflective apocalyptic book. It didn’t contain the action filled frantic pace I expected, and I really enjoyed that. It was interesting to see how the characters struggled with living their faith when the outside world began to want what they had. One of my favorite reads from the past few years.

I read this one after seeing this review. It was a type of book that is outside what I usually favor and its slow pace took some getting used to. But is was a very interesting study in how strong faith faces intense problems.

When the English Fall by David Williams.

64 of 104

#35/50

The Lost Roses by Martha Hall Kelly

Well, I wanted to like this one as it had good reviews, but it just didn't do it for me.

Bitter and Sweet in Dog Town by Sandy Rideout. Another fluff read - a young woman works for a not-for-profit foundation in a small town whose claim to fame is it its dog friendliness. She has a rescued dog as an emotional support animal because of her intense shyness. She is aspiring to be promoted but a young man who she went to school with has returned to town and is now the favorite for the job. They compete for the job, sort out a misunderstanding and walk hand and hand off into the sunset.

65 of 104

39/75 The Amish Heart of Ice Mountain by Kelly Long

I decided to read more by the author to learn how some of the characters lives turn out.

40/75 An Amish Courtship on Ice Mountain by Kelly Long

Could not sleep, so I stayed up and read the next in the series. I’m finished. I liked the first of the three that I read the best.

25/50 - Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas. Genre - Young Adult Fantasy
Aelin has risked everything to save her people-but at a tremendous cost. Locked within an iron coffin by the Queen of the Fae, Aelin must draw upon her fiery will as she endures months of torture. Aware that yielding to Maeve will doom those she loves keeps her from breaking, though her resolve begins to unravel with each passing day...

With Aelin captured, Aedion and Lysandra remain the last line of defense to protect Terrasen from utter destruction. Yet they soon realize that the many allies they've gathered to battle Erawan's hordes might not be enough to save them. Scattered across the continent and racing against time, Chaol, Manon, and Dorian are forced to forge their own paths to meet their fates. Hanging in the balance is any hope of salvation-and a better world.

And across the sea, his companions unwavering beside him, Rowan hunts to find his captured wife and queen-before she is lost to him forever.

As the threads of fate weave together at last, all must fight, if they are to have a chance at a future. Some bonds will grow even deeper, while others will be severed forever in the explosive final chapter of the Throne of Glass series.

I enjoyed this series immensely.

21. Dietland by Sarai Walker. As a formerly morbidly obese person, I was drawn to the title. Hard hitting look at society’s view of women. Different than I expected but good non the less.

41/75 The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

I wanted to see what the story was about. It took about 3 weeks to finish, and I read others because this took work to wrap my head around the story. I do not think I will tackle the Lord of the Rings.

Artifacts of Death (A Murder Mystery In Utah's Canyon Country) by Rich Curtin. The book had an interesting backstory and two side plots as well as a current murder and a diligent young police officer. It also had information on the finding and authenticating of Indian artifacts as well as their legal and illegal trafficking.

66 of 104

29/50 - Close Combat The Corps Book VI

This book has tons of details from Guadalcanal and the intense battle for the island. Possibly my favorite book of the series and includes the last we hear from a few of my favorite characters from earlier books.

#36/50
The Heavens by Sandra Newman
From their first meeting, Ben knows Kate is unworldly and fanciful, so at first he isn’t that concerned when she tells him about the recurring dream she’s had since childhood. In the dream, she’s transported to the past, where she lives a second life as Emilia, the mistress of a nobleman in Elizabethan England.

But for Kate, the dream becomes increasingly real and compelling until it threatens to overwhelm her life. And soon she’s waking from it to find the world changed—pictures on her wall she doesn’t recognize, new buildings in the neighborhood that have sprung up overnight. As she tries to make sense of what’s happening, Ben worries the woman he’s fallen in love with is losing her grip on reality.

Real or unreal dreams/time travel...what's not to love? This one for sure. I tried to like it but didn't enjoy the writing. Very disjointed to me & couldn't relate to any of the characters. Wouldn't recommend.

29/50 - Close Combat The Corps Book VI

This book has tons of details from Guadalcanal and the intense battle for the island. Possibly my favorite book of the series and includes the last we hear from a few of my favorite characters from earlier books.

I love these books, I've read them all several times. First time I've seen someone else talk about them. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter