Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

#60/80: Ms. Bixby's Last Day by John David Anderson (5/5) (YA realistic fiction)
Three 6th grade boys are on a mission to provide their beloved teacher with the goodbye that she missed as she was hospitalized for cancer treatment. KLEENEX NEEDED!

#12/12 - The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

I really enjoyed this book. It was difficult to get anything done because I kept wanting to read.

Lo Blacklock is a journalist covering the launch of a luxury cruise ship (large yacht). She thinks she's witnessed a woman being thrown overboard but everyone is accounted for...

#13 - Murder at the Brightwell by Ashley Weaver

This is the first in a series of murder mysteries taking place in 1930s. It was ok and I'll probably read the next book before determining if I continue on with the series.

Week 36 - I read four books this week which brings me to 144/208. The books I read this week were:

Calming the Storm by Melanie D. Snitker - basic Christian romance with happy ending.

Play Dead (An Allie Babcock Mystery) by Leslie O'Kane. Murder mystery about a rich lady whose death is initially deemed a suicide. When troubles arise in re-homing her dog. The dog eventually leads to the determination her death was murder. Then the dog helps bring the murder to justice. It was a bit far fetched and I did not like the main heroine so not inclined to read anything else in the series.

Will's Red Coat by Tom Ryan - non-fiction story of a man who has had a successful book about his relationship with his dog. He adopts an old dog with multiple heath and attitude problems. This book is about how he and the dog finally bond and how the dog lives out his final days. I liked the story but the author's style grated on me. I found him to be superior - the book was as much about how he felt, how he reacted, his wonderful attitude and approach to problems and how he was improved than it was about the dog.

The Bones Will Speak (A Gwen Marcey Novel) by Carrie Stuart Parks. Murder mystery featuring a forensic artist. I really enjoyed this one and have put the series on my list of books to read in the future.

I am horrible at updating.

#1/30: A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

#2/30: It by Stephen King

This is absolutely amazing as an audiobook. I had trouble sitting down and reading it because of how back and forth and repetitive it can be. Hearing it read is a whole other experience. Props to the narrator Steven Weber.

#3/30: Jurassic Park by Micheal Crichton

#4/30: The Embrace: A True Vampire Story by Aphrodite Jones

#5/30: The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchinson

#6/30: The Broken Ones by Sarah A. Denzil

#7/30: The Walls Around Us by Nova Ren Suma

#8/30: The End of Everything by Megan Abbot

It looks as though I'm re-reading a lot of old books that I enjoy. :laughing:

Next up: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory. I'm actually already halfway through. :teeth:

15 of 20: Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson

Discover Captain Phasma’s mysterious history in this “Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi” novel.

One of the most cunning and merciless officers of the First Order, Captain Phasma commands the favor of her superiors, the respect of her peers, and the terror of her enemies. But for all her renown, Phasma remains as virtually unknown as the impassive expression on her gleaming chrome helmet. Now, an adversary is bent on unearthing her mysterious origins—and exposing a secret she guards as zealously and ruthlessly as she serves her masters.

Another Star Wars novel. I know you are all shocked. If you aren't familiar with Star Wars, Captain Phasma is a character in The Force Awakens, played by Gwendolyn Christie. She's the chrome plated stormtrooper with the cape..
upload_2017-9-13_8-58-30.jpeg

This novel asked the question "what if a Star Wars planet was from Mad Max?" We get a good look at Phasma's character and motivations, which was lacking in The Force Awakens. It's a story-in-a-story, where the framing story centers around a rebel spy named Vi, who was researching Phasma's origins. Vi gets captured by stormtrooper captain Cardinal, who is a rival of Phasma's. Cardinal is trying to find dirt on Phasma in order to usurp her position in the First Order.

Very riveting plot, which great detail and description about Phasm's origin and planet. Many of the characters were sympathetic, which I feel can be a problem with Star Wars stories. Not everybody is pure good or pure evil. Dawson tells a great story. 4.5 out of 5 starts.

#32/60

Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

Fifth in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Love these books. They are a good read in between the suspense/thriller books I usually read.

19/25 - Renegade's Magic: Book Three of the Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb

I enjoyed books one and two but skimmed through most of this third one. I really like reading Robin Hobb's trilogies, this one was my least favorite. I'm all caught up reading all that she has out. Hope she gets another one done soon.

#27/50: Our Husband by Stephanie Bond
My book club read this a couple of years ago. We thought it was a hoot!

#14 Good Vibes Jay Cronley
Had to read this library as it cannot be removed. Tried to read a long time ago but I did not finish. I had some time now so I figured why not.
It is basis for Let It Ride movie and close to as funny as the movie. Same author wrote books (Funny Farm and Quick Change) which also both were turned into movies. Also wrote book called Screwballs which some people claim was basis for movie Major League.
If any of you have any books by him they sell for decent amount of money as for some reason all the books are out of print and not available in electronic format yet many have fans due to the movies.

(If anyone is interested, I would gladly send a kindle gift version of any of my works “Written for You”, “Three Twigs for the Campfire”, “Cemetery Girl” or “Reigning”. You can see them all reviewed at Goodreads. If you are interested in reading any just message me.)

I didn't sign up this year but wanted to say I just finished "No Exit" by Taylor Adams and it was really good. I was hooked and could not get anything done because I wanted to see what happened next!!! I have not felt like that for a long time while reading.

MJ

Week 37 - I read six books this week which makes it 150/208. The books I read were an odd mix.

Falling in Love (Secrets of Savannah Book 5) by Belle Calhoune. Christian romance. Six friends inherit a B & B and there is one book in the series for each young woman to find her true love. Happy endings guaranteed.

A Wedding for the Widower by Liz Isaacson. Christian romance and a quick read with the happy ending.

The Bean Tree by Barbara Kingsolver. This is an older book - first published in 1988 but I really enjoyed it. It is not a romance or Christian but a good solid story about finding your place in the world and building a "family" support system from the people life puts you into contact with, whether they are really family or not.

Mighty to Save by Caryl McAdoo - historical Christian romance set around the civil war. The heroine is an author so the book alternates between her story and the story she is writing which was some what confusing. And it did not have the formula "happy ending".

Hillybilly Elegy: A memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance. Non-fiction. From the book jacket, ". . . a passionate and personal analysis of a culture in crisis - that of poor, white America". This book made me think and reflect. The author clearly did his research and includes both his personal experiences and outlook along with what scholarly research studies have found. He felt free to point out where the studies got it right or wrong and how their conclusions fit or did not fit with his experience. While there were parts that I disagreed with, I never doubted his commitment to telling the truth of his background as he experienced and interpreted it.

Coming Home by T.I. Lowe. Christian romance with the happy ending. While the Hillbilly Elegy challenged me into reading late into the night, this is the sort of literature that soothes me into sleep.

#61/80: The Book That Matters Most by Ann Hood (2/5) (contemporary fiction)
I found the main character annoying and was able to guess most of the big secrets.

#62/80: The Alice Network by Kate Quinn (5/5) (historical fiction/ WWI and post WWII)
Based on actual female spy network in France during WWI.

#63/80: The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry (5/5) (contemporary fiction)
Reminded me of A Man Called Ove. Really cared about the characters.

#64/80: What Washes Up (Forgotten Coast #3) (4/5) (Floridian police suspense)
Like the main character, but all her books are cliff hangers for the next book in the series.

Week 38 - I read four books this week which makes it 154/208. The books I read this week were:

A Companion for the Cowboy by Liz Isaacson - Christian romance with the happy ending. It was a sister book to one I read last week.

Perennials: A Novel by Bryce Gibson. Young Adult murder mystery. It had a decent plot but I did not care for the writing style.

Arms of Promise by Crystal Walton. This is probably not strictly within the Christian romance style because it had no mention of God, church or prayer but in every other way it was in that style - a good clean story with a happy ending.

The Nazi Officer's Wife: How a Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust by Edith Hahn Beer with Susan Dworkin. Non-fiction. Edith was a young, secular Jew in Vienna when Hitler came to power. This is the story of of what happened to her and how she came to be masquerading as an Aryan. She was not a heroic spy or underground activist. She was just an ordinary person who took risks and hid her true self (at great cost) in order to just get by. She did what she had to do while doing her best to do whatever acts of small kindness she could and to not betray or injury others. It was a very, very good read.

Last edited:
The Nazi Officer's Wife: How a Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust by Edith Hahn Beer with Susan Dworkin. Non-fiction. Edith was a young, secular Jew in Vienna when Hitler came to power. This is the story of of what happened to her and how she came to be masquerading as an Aryan. She was not a heroic spy or underground activist. She was just an ordinary person who took risks and hid her true self (at great cost) in order to just get by. She did what she had to do while doing her best to do whatever acts of small kindness she could and to not betray or injury others. It was a very, very good read.

Just checked this out on my e-reader; thanks!

16 of 20: Leia, Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray
A young adult novel, written by New York Times Best-selling author Claudia Gray, about sixteen-year-old Princess Leia, set before A New Hope.

This is my Claudia third Star Wars book, and her best so far. It tells the story of Leia at age 16, coming to terms with the fact that she is heir to the throne of Alderaan. It is during this time that she discovers that her parents, who have been ignoring her of late, are secretly working against the Empire. I found the book incredibly engrossing. There was one particular chapter where, even though I knew how the story ended, was completely full of tension. This has been my favorite book so far this year, and my favorite of the new canon Star Wars novels. 5 out of 5 stars.

If you are at all into Star Wars, and plan on watching the new movie that comes out in December, I would recommend reading this book. There is a character, Amilyn Holdo, who will appear in next movie.

#9/30: The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

Gregory is one of my favorite authors, I've missed reading her books.

Next up: The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George.

Catching up a little...

46. Cross the Line by James Patterson
Alex Cross #24. A good installment of the popular series.

47. The Boys Who Challenged Hitler: Knud Pedersen and the Churchill Club by Philip Hoose
From Goodreads: At the outset of World War II, Denmark did not resist German occupation. Deeply ashamed of his nation's leaders, fifteen-year-old Knud Pedersen resolved with his brother and a handful of schoolmates to take action against the Nazis if the adults would not. Naming their secret club after the fiery British leader, the young patriots in the Churchill Club committed countless acts of sabotage, infuriating the Germans, who eventually had the boys tracked down and arrested. But their efforts were not in vain: the boys' exploits and eventual imprisonment helped spark a full-blown Danish resistance. Interweaving his own narrative with the recollections of Knud himself, here is Phillip Hoose's inspiring story of these young war heroes.

True story with excerpts from Knud and pictures. One of my favorite books of the year.

48. Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society by Amy Hill Hearth
From Goodreads: A brilliant debut novel from a New York Times bestselling author about a transplanted wife from Boston who arrives in Florida in the 1960s, starts a literary salon, and shakes up the status quo.

Cute and funny.

49. One Good Thing by Kevin Alan Milne
From Goodreads: For as long as Halley Steen has known her husband Nathan, he has carried a handful of stones in his pocket. Each day he uses those stones to remind him to follow the Golden Rule, moving a stone from one pocket to the other with each act of kindness. So it's not unusual that Nathan stops to help a stranger on the side of the highway while on his way to his son's football game one Friday evening. But that one act will change all of their lives forever, when a car hydroplanes off the road, killing Nathan instantly.

Very good.

50. A Cold and Lonely Place by Sarah J Henry
From Goodreads: Freelance writer Troy Chance is snapping photos of the Saranac Lake Winter Carnival ice palace when the ice-cutting machine falls silent. Encased in the ice is the shadowy outline of a body--a man she knows. One of her roommates falls under suspicion, and the media descends. Troy's assigned to write an in-depth feature on the dead man, who, it turns out, was the privileged son of a wealthy Connecticut family who had been playing at a blue collar life in this Adirondack village. And the deeper Troy digs into his life and mysterious death, the murkier things become. After the victim's sister comes to town and a string of disturbing incidents unfold, it's clear someone doesn't want the investigation to continue. Troy doesn't know who to trust, and what she ultimately finds out threatens to shatter the serenity of these mountain towns. She must decide which family secrets should be exposed, what truths should remain hidden, and how far her own loyalty can reach.

This is the second of a series. I haven't read the first yet but this stands alone well. Good characters and intrigue.

51. The Man Who Forgot His Wife by John O'Farrell
From Goodreads: Lots of husbands forget things: they forget that their wife had an important meeting that morning; they forget to pick up the dry cleaning; some of them even forget their wedding anniversary. But Vaughan has forgotten he even has a wife. Her name,her face, their history together, everything she has ever told him, everything he has said to her - it has all gone, mysteriously wiped in one catastrophic moment of memory loss. And now he has rediscovered her - only to find out that they are getting divorced.

Good story about starting over.

52. Close Your Eyes by Iris Johansen
From Goodreads: The FBI doesn’t usually consult with music therapists to solve their cases. But Kendra Michaels' astonishing powers of observation and analysis have made her a favorite of law enforcement agencies all across the country. Blind for the first twenty years of her life, she cares little for investigative work but can’t deny her unique skill, or the results she’s been able to facilitate. Kendra learned at an early age to become hyper-aware of her surroundings, perfecting the art of picking up the most subtle audio, olfactory, and tactile cues in the world around her. Like a secret weapon, she is in high demand.

First installment of the Kendra Michaels series. I gave it 4 stars when I recorded it but I cant really remember much about it now, only a month later, so I guess it wasn't all that great!

53. The Irresistible Blueberry Bakeshop and Cafe by Mary Simses
From Goodreads: A high-powered Manhattan attorney finds love, purpose, and the promise of a simpler life in her grandmother's hometown.

Ellen Branford is going to fulfill her grandmother's dying wish--to find the hometown boy she once loved, and give him her last letter. Ellen leaves Manhattan and her Kennedy-esque fiance for Beacon, Maine. What should be a one-day trip is quickly complicated when she almost drowns in the chilly bay and is saved by a local carpenter. The rescue turns Ellen into something of a local celebrity, which may or may not help her unravel the past her grandmother labored to keep hidden. As she learns about her grandmother and herself, it becomes clear that a 24-hour visit to Beacon may never be enough.

This was sweet.

54. Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio
From Goodreads: Seattle, 1933. Single mother Vera Ray kisses her three-year-old son, Daniel, goodnight and departs to work the night-shift at a local hotel. She emerges to discover that a May-Day snow has blanketed the city, and that her son has vanished. Outside, she finds his beloved teddy bear lying face-down on an icy street, the snow covering up any trace of his tracks, or the perpetrator's.

Seattle, 2010. Seattle Herald reporter Claire Aldridge, assigned to cover the May 1 "blackberry winter" storm and its twin, learns of the unsolved abduction and vows to unearth the truth. In the process, she finds that she and Vera may be linked in unexpected ways...

I loved Jio's "The Bungalow" and couldn't wait to read this. It is very different but very enjoyable. It is presented in two points of view, past and present which makes the story richer.

55. The Touch by F Paul Wilson
From Goodreads: After a dozen years of practicing medicine as a family physician, Dr. Alan Bulmer discovers one day that he can cure any illness with the mere touch of his hand. At first his scientific nature refuses to accept what is happening to him, but there is no rational explanation to be found. So Alan gives himself over to this mysterious power, reveling in the ability to cure the incurable, to give hope to the hopeless—for one hour each day.

Part 3 of the Adversary Cycle, it still stands alone as a story. Lots of suspense and twists.

56. Suspect by Robert Crais
From Goodreads: LAPD cop Scott James is not doing so well. Eight months ago, a shocking nighttime assault by unidentified men killed his partner Stephanie, nearly killed him, and left him enraged, ashamed, and ready to explode. He is unfit for duty...until he meets his new partner.

Maggie is not doing so well, either. A German shepherd who survived three tours in Iraq and Afghanistan sniffing explosives before losing her handler to an IED, her PTSD is as bad as Scott's.

They are each other's last chance. Shunned and shunted to the side, they set out to investigate the one case that no one wants them to touch: the identity of the men who murdered Stephanie. What they begin to find is nothing like what Scott has been told, and the journey will take them both through the darkest moments of their own personal hells. Whether they will make it out again, no one can say.

First installment of the Scott James and Maggie series. It has a dog....nuff said! No really, good first start to this series.

57. Learning to Swim by Sarah J Henry
From Goodreads: “If I’d blinked, I would have missed it. But I didn’t, and I saw something fall from the rear deck of the opposite ferry: a small, wide-eyed human face, in one tiny frozen moment, as it plummeted toward the water.”
When she sees what looks like a child tumbling from a ferry into frigid Lake Champlain, Troy Chance dives in without thinking. When she gets the child to shore she discovers that his name is Paul, he speaks only French—and no one seems to be looking for him.

The first installment of the Troy Chance series mentioned above. I like the second installment better but this was a good introduction to the characters and did present an interesting story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter