Annual reading challenge 2017-come join us

Finished book #18/70 - We Have Always Lived In The Castle by Shirley Jackson

I liked this story and the 2 main characters. It surprised me how darkly funny it was, especially the end. I read The Lottery in school and that story has stayed with me, so I wish I had read this sooner.

Merricat Blackwood lives on the family estate with her sister Constance and her Uncle Julian. Not long ago there were seven Blackwoods—until a fatal dose of arsenic found its way into the sugar bowl one terrible night. Acquitted of the murders, Constance has returned home, where Merricat protects her from the curiosity and hostility of the villagers. Their days pass in happy isolation until cousin Charles appears. Only Merricat can see the danger, and she must act swiftly to keep Constance from his grasp.

This sounds really good!

#5 The Girl on the Train by Paul Hawkins
I was excited to read this as it is similar to current book that I am writing. I really like the POV changes and the way they were done. It helped me feel more confident about my work and maybe even a little better about my drinking. Liked Rachel as a character, the other two POV girls, but it seems like you really were not supposed to like them much.
My goofy Goodreads review is here
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1238618809

(If anyone is interested, I would gladly send kindle gift versions of any of my works, Written for You , Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, or Reigning. You can see them reviewed on goodreads. Just PM here or there or like post.)

Cogswel_Cogs, Mar 4, 2017 Edit Report

Week 12 - I read two books this week which has me at 45 of 104. This week I read

Love's Unfading Light (An Eagle Harbor Novel) by Naomi Rawlings - Christian romantic fiction set in the late 1800's in Michigan. It had the usual happy ending with some interesting details about the hardship of life in rural Michigan during that time period.

American Pain by John Temple - nonfiction. I read this based on a review from a poster to this thread. It was an eye opening account of the oxycodone epidemic.

#5 The Girl on the Train by Paul Hawkins
I was excited to read this as it is similar to current book that I am writing. I really like the POV changes and the way they were done. It helped me feel more confident about my work and maybe even a little better about my drinking. Liked Rachel as a character, the other two POV girls, but it seems like you really were not supposed to like them much.
My goofy Goodreads review is here
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1238618809

(If anyone is interested, I would gladly send kindle gift versions of any of my works, Written for You , Cemetery Girl, Three Twigs for the Campfire, or Reigning. You can see them reviewed on goodreads. Just PM here or there or like post.)

Cogswel_Cogs, Mar 4, 2017 Edit Report

Have you read The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware?

Well, a lot of other people think it's worth checking out too! I just went to my library's website to reserve it (because of your recommendation) and there's 20 people ahead of me! But one thing I love here is getting recommendations of books to read.
I think so. Woman with some issues goes on a preview cruise. She hears someone go overboard in the nextt cabin. Everyone insists there was no one in that cabin.

Well, a lot of other people think it's worth checking out too! I just went to my library's website to reserve it (because of your recommendation) and there's 20 people ahead of me! But one thing I love here is getting recommendations of books to read.

That's what I love about this as well! I thought it was a fairly quick read, so hopefully you will get your copy soon.

OK, if you're a "Project Runway" fan, I just finished "Made for Me", 14/65. Fast read and a great one!

26/100 At Bluebonnet Lake by Amanda Cabot 3/4 7:50pm
Sweet romance
27/100 Anything but Love by Abigail Strom 4/6 9:48am
End of a trilogy about a jilted bride and the man who has always loved her.
28/100 Loving Lindsay by Patricia Keelung 4/7 11:02pm
29/100 Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 4/10 4:38pm
Short story about a man on a journey.
30/100 When Breathe Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi 4/10 4:54pm
This was a quick beautiful read about life and what is important.
31/100 The One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan 4/10 10:50pm
The idea of most productivity by planning only the one thing to help everything else to fall into place.
32/100 The Heat is On by Poppy J. Anderson 4/11 12:00pm
33/100 Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin 4/18 9:19am
Interesting story of a southern abolitionist with some Christianity mixed in...good but so long.
34/100 Dockside by Susan Wiggs 3/22 10:40pm
3rd book in a series. This one about a love that started as teens but pregnancies got in the way and now they have to figure out if they still love each other after life and divorce.
35/100 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 3/23 4:15pm

Catching up on some posting...

12. Bones on Ice by Kathy Reichs
From Goodreads: It is called the “death zone”: the point on Everest, nearly five miles high, above which a climber cannot be rescued. More than 250 souls have lost their lives there. Most of the bodies remain, abandoned, frozen in place. When an earthquake leads to a miraculous recovery, Dr. Temperance Brennan is hired to identify the frozen mummified human corpse. The victim is the daughter of a wealthy Charlotte couple who never got the chance to say goodbye. But far from offering solace and closure, Tempe’s findings only provoke more questions. What happened on Mount Everest? Was the young woman’s death an accident? Why aren’t the other climbers talking? And how far will those hiding the truth go to make sure the past stays buried?

I havent read too many of this series. This one was a quick novella and very enjoyable.

13. The One Man by Andrew Gross
From Goodreads: 1944. Physics professor Alfred Mendl is separated from his family and sent to the men’s camp, where all of his belongings are tossed on a roaring fire. His books, his papers, his life’s work. The Nazis have no idea what they have just destroyed. And without that physical record, Alfred is one of only two people in the world with his particular knowledge. Knowledge that could start a war, or end it.

Nathan Blum works behind a desk at an intelligence office in Washington, DC, but he longs to contribute to the war effort in a more meaningful way, and he has a particular skill set the U.S. suddenly needs. Nathan is fluent in German and Polish, he is Semitic looking, and he proved his scrappiness at a young age when he escaped from the Polish ghetto. Now, the government wants him to take on the most dangerous assignment of his life: Nathan must sneak into Auschwitz, on a mission to find and escape with one man.

Very good!

14. Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline
From Goodreads: Dr. Eric Parrish is the Chief of the Psychiatric Unit at Havemeyer General Hospital outside of Philadelphia. Recently separated from his wife, Caitlin, he is doing his best as a single dad to his seven-year-old daughter Hannah. His work seems to be going better than his home life, however. His unit at the hospital has just been named number two in the country and Eric has a devoted staff of doctors and nurses who are as caring as Eric is. But when he takes on a new patient, Eric's entire world begins to crumble. Seventeen-year-old Max has a terminally ill grandmother and is having trouble handling it. That, plus his OCD and violent thoughts about a girl he likes makes Max a high risk patient. Max can't turn off the rituals he needs to perform every fifteen minutes that keep him calm. With the pressure mounting, Max just might reach the breaking point. When the girl is found murdered, Max is nowhere to be found. Worried about Max, Eric goes looking for him and puts himself in danger of being seen as a "person of interest". Next, one of his own staff turns on him in a trumped up charge of sexual harassment. Is this chaos all random? Or is someone systematically trying to destroy Eric's life?

OK. I usually like her books more.

15. Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo
From Goodreads: An extraordinarily beautiful Amish woman, a dangerous femme fatale, is the central figure in a story that reveals a dark side of Painters Mill and its seemingly perfect Amish world

A rainy night, an Amish father returning home with his three children, a speeding car hurtling toward them out of nowhere.

What at first seems like a tragic, but routine car accident suddenly takes on a more sinister cast as evidence emerges that nothing about the crash is accidental.

Fifth installment of her series. It had a good twist.

16. Cross Kill by James Patterson
One of the book shots series. A quick Alex Cross thriller. It had possibilities but didnt live up to them.

17. In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson
This was very interesting following the Ambassador to Germany and his family during Hitler's early years. the writing at sometimes is sort of mundane but it sort of makes haitlers actions even more chilling.

18. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
Very good. This book deals with string theory and the possibility of parallel worlds. What would happen if you made a different choice at some point in your life?

19. Web of Evil by JA Jance
This is the 2nd of her Ali Reynolds series. I do enjoy the series and characters but most of the book you are screaming..."DON"T DO THAT!"

Catching up on some posting...

15. Her Last Breath by Linda Castillo

Is this a recent one? I think I have read all her books except maybe a very recent one. Will have to check my list to see if I have already read this one.

18. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Currently reading this one.

13. The One Man by Andrew Gross
From Goodreads: 1944. Physics professor Alfred Mendl is separated from his family and sent to the men’s camp, where all of his belongings are tossed on a roaring fire. His books, his papers, his life’s work. The Nazis have no idea what they have just destroyed. And without that physical record, Alfred is one of only two people in the world with his particular knowledge. Knowledge that could start a war, or end it.

Nathan Blum works behind a desk at an intelligence office in Washington, DC, but he longs to contribute to the war effort in a more meaningful way, and he has a particular skill set the U.S. suddenly needs. Nathan is fluent in German and Polish, he is Semitic looking, and he proved his scrappiness at a young age when he escaped from the Polish ghetto. Now, the government wants him to take on the most dangerous assignment of his life: Nathan must sneak into Auschwitz, on a mission to find and escape with one man.

Very good!

Just put in a hold for this - thanks for the recommendation!

#23/80: A Criminal Defense by William L. Myers, Jr. (4/5) (law thriller) (Amazon Prime March choice)
Lots of twists, able to see some of them.

#24/80: The Drop (Bosch #17) by Michael Connelly (4/5)

#25/80: The Black Box (Bosch #18) by Michael Connelly (4/5)

I enjoy the books about this LA detective. Hoping to get caught up on all of them before season 3 on Amazon Prime!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter