Annual Passport upgrade question

Aurora1959

Mouseketeer
Sorry - but I couldn't find anything in the FAQ about this.

I was wondering what were the rules again if you buy a hopper ticket, and then later want to upgrade it to an AP?

We haven't done that in years, because we were always renewing our AP's. But we let our AP's go in 2006 because we knew we wouldn't be back for a while. I am planning a four day trip, and wanted to know when we needed to decide on upgrading to an AP, if we do at all. It used to be the first day you used your ticket, you had until you left the park to pay for an upgrade. But what if you don't decide then, and it's on your 3rd or 4th day that you decide, 'Hey let's do this more often'. Will they still let you upgrade?

And of the wackiest part of this question - which is I think is a no. Can you upgrade a ticket that you used say a few weeks ago? If so, would they backdate it? I would think it would be a simple matter of managing the database, but i really doubt they let you have visitors remorse. My aunt was curious about this one because now she wants an AP.

You can upgrade anytime BEFORE your ticket expires. DL park hopper tix expire 13 days after first use. If it's past that point, NO, they will not let you "upgrade" it.

At any point, when you upgrade, you are simply charged the difference between the original purchase price and the AP you want. The AP "activation" date will be the FIRST day you used the park hopper ticket.

Thanks for the quick reply and the facts. When we bought our first AP's in like 99 or 00 they told us we could decide on the first day, but if we waited until the next day, we would have to pay for them all. maybe it was just a cm trying to use a pressure technique to get us to actually buy APs.

My aunt was just hoping she could upgrade from the tickets she used a month ago. I doubted it, but thought I would ask anyways.

We upgraded on the third day of our 5 day hoppers back in September. No problem at all, except we missed 2.5 days of food discounts! And of course the AP is dated from the first day you used your park hoppers (so ours was dated back to our first day, even though we got them on the 3rd).

And just to clarify something that might have made me scratch my head...you have to upgrade while the tickets are still good. So if you leave after 4 days using 5 day hoppers, you could go back inside of the 14 days from 1st use and upgrade (but you'd have to be there). But if you leave after the 5th day of using that hopper, that ticket is done, and you can't go back another day inside the 14 and upgrade...

Looking back, I wish we had just upgraded our first day. Food discounts aside, we would have been much less sweaty and tired-looking for our pictures! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter