And yet another school massacre

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a risk that is outweighed by its benefit—most children do better together in a school. A school shooting is a risk with no benefit.
Agree. Just pointing out that if you want to stay safe live in an area where you don’t have to drive every where

Yup. Let's discuss the inanimate object that a human being must do something with for it to be a problem rather than the person who committed such an act.
Felt totally safe sending my kids to school. Armed officers with guns at school. Great deterrent for any would be shooter is getting shot in return.

Just about everyone I know is armed - friends, neighbors, family. I am armed - have a concealed carry permit. Good people with guns stop bad people with guns.

Good grief.

Sickening. Just sickening. We have to do something, I no longer know what.

3 years ago I was as anti-gun as a person could be. Still don’t own one, and never will. Risks outweigh the benefits for someone in my walk of life.

However, after the past two years, I sure am glad for the second amendment.

So now I need to rethink my priors, and come up with a different solution then just eliminating all guns.

As for the suspended student receiving work online while suspended, federal law requires that schools must still provide educational services for the student during the suspension. This includes providing homework and allowing the child to make up any missed tests or assignments. If the student is expelled, the school no longer has to provide educational resources unless the child has an IEP for a special need. This has been the law for at least 40 years as I learned about it in my educational law class while in college. My school actually lost an expulsion hearing because a teacher did not provide assignments for the suspended student.
Interesting. My kids are only 10+ years out of high school. If you were suspended you got a 0 in everything, every day. There was no making it up.

If you pulled your kid to go to Disney World or whatever, a teacher was permitted to give you a 0 in everything, every day. Some principals demanded it, and some reported you for truancy on top of it.

Just about everyone I know is armed - friends, neighbors, family. I am armed - have a concealed carry permit. Good people with guns stop bad people with guns.
Thats not necessarily true now is it?
You have no idea how anyone would react in this type of situation or if they'd think fast enough to use one. and there have been cases where they have been able to and still lost their lives.

Three weeks ago, as a leader in my church, I went to a training on how to handle an active shooter. Because yup, instead of focusing on worshiping my God, I have to keep in the back of my mind what to do if a shooter comes in.

The students were in grades 2-4. That’s 7-10 years old.

Edited to correct grades

Actually it is very common and has been normal at inner city schools for many years. Gang violence and drugs have caused armed police not only to be inside schools, but to even be stationed/patrol on streets leading to school. Shootings occur daily in these neighborhoods and kids are always in danger. It is heartbreaking for any human to have to live like that. But it is common.

As for the families of the the children and teacher slain today, I can't comprehend what they are going through at this hour.

It is all just so depressing.
I grew up (and still live in) the Bedford Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn, New York. I teach in the East New York/ Brownsville area. We do not have armed guards in our schools. Mass shootings are not/have not occurred in urban schools.

Well we don't have mass stabbings, or smotherings, or baseball bat killings, or even intentional car crash killings so yeah - this particular inanimate object is the problem. Countries with stricter laws do not have these issues.

I do not look at this as one political party problem - it is an American problem.
Indeed. Knives just don't run off on their own stabbing everything in sight, pillows don't flop down on people's heads on their own, and baseball bats don't swing at people's heads all by themselves. We need to look at what the issue is, how firearms do all this all on their own.

Or perhaps do you think maybe the US has a higher mental illness issue than where ever you are? As I said, lets keep talking about the gun and not the person with the gun in their hand. 80 million others did not shoot someone today in the US. Firearms are completely inanimate. People are all individuals with individual thoughts (well, mostly. A lot of parroting going on here.)

June 21, 2021 Jonny Hurley heard gunfire in Olde Town Arvada, CO. He ran toward the shots with his gun and watched as a gunman shot and killed a police officer. Hurley shot and killed the suspect, as the suspect stood and waited for more officers to respond so he could kill them as well.

An officer saw Hurley with his gun and killed him. He had no idea that Hurley was the good guy.

There have been multiple accounts of former soldiers, sharp shooters, and other armed civilians who were present during a mass shooting but did not draw their weapons. When asked why, all responded with "the police will not know I'm the good guy." (or similar)

Interesting. My kids are only 10+ years out of high school. If you were suspended you got a 0 in everything, every day. There was no making it up.

If you pulled your kid to go to Disney World or whatever, a teacher was permitted to give you a 0 in everything, every day. Some principals demanded it, and some reported you for truancy on top of it.
Students who are suspended or in the process of being expelled have a right to due process. The due process in school is the same as in the real world in the US - innocent until proven guilty. A suspended student or a student in the expulsion process are still students and have the right to an education.

Three weeks ago, as a leader in my church, I went to a training on how to handle an active shooter. Because yup, instead of focusing on worshiping my God, I have to keep in the back of my mind what to do if a shooter comes in.
We had a crazy guy bust into a service at our church a few years ago and started spewing hate (luckily, he had no weapon), but now we have an off duty Sheriff Deputy at the door of the church on Sunday mornings. It's so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter