And so the Netflix Emptying begins! BIG news re. DisneyPlus! SHAZAAM!

I think that depends on costs, especially internet costs. In order to stream you need internet and if you're exclusively streaming you need a good enough speed to do so. Nothing like watching something and it's lagging lol.

Internet alone with U-Verse in my area with a brand new customer is $90+taxes and fees for 1000 Mbps, $70+taxes and fees for 300 Mbps.

At that rate it wouldn't take too many services to bump the cost up especially when trying to replace things shown on tv (and the services that have 2 different platforms with one with ads and one without ads) and the multiple types of streaming services out there.
In today's society I think most with cable also have internet too so if you cut cable and add a few streaming you generally are saving some money. So I am not sure that argument really works out. I do see your point.

They better actually have a sizeable catalog of animated movies, and not just the Netflix equivalent if they want me to pay for this. I don't expect to get EVERY Disney movie ever, but I think every one of them should at least be on rotation, with several old tv series offered as well.
That's one thing I'm really wondering.

In today's society I think most with cable also have internet too so if you cut cable and add a few streaming you generally are saving some money. So I am not sure that argument really works out. I do see your point.
Well of course they have internet..that wasn't what I was saying.

Bundling is what helps keep the costs down in general. Heck my mom a few years ago was looking at getting rid of her home phone (that she hasn't had for years) and because of the bundle price her monthly amount would have gone up.

Well of course they have internet..that wasn't what I was saying.

Bundling is what helps keep the costs down in general. Heck my mom a few years ago was looking at getting rid of her home phone (that she hasn't had for years) and because of the bundle price her monthly amount would have gone up.
Yeah we still have a home phone because of the bundling too. We never use it but it's there.

This is not Disney tech. They bought and are building off of the same technology that powers MLB At Bat, which HBO also uses[1] for their streaming.

[1] although not for much longer.

I guess that *maybe* makes me feel better?

We live in Kansas City so we are googled up and with that I pay for Netflix,Amazon Prime and Hulu. If a Disney movie has come out in 4K or even just bluray I own it. If their service adds old tv shows they will get me if its just movies no way. I would love to show my 18 year old the old Wonderful World Of Disney show. The scene in the opening credits of the Dumbo ride so affected me on our 1st trip that was the 1st ride I rode with my little girl (have to call her that in public if I call her baby girl I get in trouble)

We live in Kansas City so we are googled up and with that I pay for Netflix,Amazon Prime and Hulu. If a Disney movie has come out in 4K or even just bluray I own it. If their service adds old tv shows they will get me if its just movies no way. I would love to show my 18 year old the old Wonderful World Of Disney show. The scene in the opening credits of the Dumbo ride so affected me on our 1st trip that was the 1st ride I rode with my little girl (have to call her that in public if I call her baby girl I get in trouble)
I also live in KC but the day they were going to come out and hook up Google Fiber that had made its way to my city we cancelled it because U-Verse came out with their own version of the 1000mbps internet and we already had them. In that way I appreciate how Google Fiber encouraged the other companies to get more competitive.

*On a side note several years later and I'm still dealing with damage to our sod from when they dug up to install the tunnels. I had heard the internet was real nice but the cable side wasn't as impressive. From what I understand they they've halted new customers in our area costs are just so high with installing all the infratructure and of course having to pay for repairs to damaged properties. It's actually a running joke though when lines get cut around here that it was probably Google Fiber (no one knows for sure they are just joking though).

We have netflix and prime but not hulu. My husband also got CBS All-Access for the Star Trek show lol. It's hard to quantify the prime aspect because even at the increased membership price you're paying for so much more than just their movie/tv show catalog. Netflix is starting to increase at a more frequent manner in price but it's to be expected. Just have to hope they meet some sort of threshold for their price.

What will get consumers to pay for this service is new exclusive content that is not found on either TV or the movie theater. All that was announced is the Marvel/Star Wars spin offs, but I can 100% guarantee you that there will be exclusive "Disney" content that just hasn't been announced yet.

There is a very good chance of a Wonderful World of Disney reboot.

I think there will be two fans of the new Disney+ service.
Those looking for a streaming version of all the old/classic movies and shows and those looking for "new" content -- such as all the "shows" they announce.

I'm just not sure how much old stuff Disney is going to put on there. Putting every classic movie on there sorta wrecks the "vault" concept and would cut into their DVD Bluray sales. Will they spend the time/money to make all the old shows/movies into a digital format or just spend the money on "new" content (which seems to be the trend) to get you hooked onto the service.

I think there will be two fans of the new Disney+ service.
Those looking for a streaming version of all the old/classic movies and shows and those looking for "new" content -- such as all the "shows" they announce.

I'm just not sure how much old stuff Disney is going to put on there. Putting every classic movie on there sorta wrecks the "vault" concept and would cut into their DVD Bluray sales. Will they spend the time/money to make all the old shows/movies into a digital format or just spend the money on "new" content (which seems to be the trend) to get you hooked onto the service.
I think the vault concept is gone with this. This streaming service automatically cuts into their DVD/Blu-Ray sales. I’m sure streaming in general has already done so. More and more people are just buying digital copies rather than physical copies.

1. I believe that deal ends after this year or so.
2. Fall 2019, and we don’t know all but know some of what will be on there. The Mandalorian from Star Wars for example.
3. I’m thinking it will be similar to existing streaming. It will be on the same type of schedule they were with Netflix or other services. Disney still wants to get money from the box office.
The Disney Netflix deal ended January 1st 2019. Obviously, all new content will now go to Disney+ such as the entire 2019 theatrical releases. As for the 2018 slate of theatrical releases, they will continue to be on Netflix. Each individual piece of content has 1 1/2 year self life on Netflix. They will go to Disney+ once that obligation is up. For example, Mary Poppins Returns has a 7 month window before going to Netflix and will on be that platform for additional 1 1/2 years. So, it will be close two years before Mary Poppins Returns goes to Disney+

Last edited:
The Disney Netflix deal ended January 1st 2019. Obviously, all new content will now go to Disney+ such as the entire 2019 theatrical releases. As for the 2018 slate of theatrical releases, they will continue to be on Netflix. Each individual piece of content has 1 1/2 self life on Netflix. They will go to Disney+ once that obligation is up. For example, Mary Poppins Returns has a 7 month window before going to Netflix and will on be that platform for additional 1 1/2. So, it will be close two years before Mary Poppins Returns goes to Disney+
I do wonder how long before existing Netflix content moves to Disney+.

I do wonder how long before existing Netflix content moves to Disney+.
Disney is in the process of trying to buy back rights to their content. For example, the original 6 Star Wars movies will not be on Disney+ because Att time Warner has a contract with Disney to air the movies on their channels till 2024. So they wouldn't appear on Disney+ for almost 4 years unless they're able to buy the rights back.

Disney is in the process of trying to buy back rights to their content. For example, the original 6 Star Wars movies will not be on Disney+ because Att time Warner has a contract with Disney to air the movies on their channels till 2024. So they wouldn't appear on Disney+ for almost 4 years unless they're able to buy the rights back.
Yeah Star Wars is a bit different. I’m more or less talking about things like Black Panther which is on Netflix.

I bet though .. as much as we would love a "full Disney library" that Disney will either:
1) Trickle things like the classic movies into it ("coming next month - Peter Pan. Coming in June - Song of the South (J/k)")

2) Rotate the old and new content in and out of service - thus encouraging customers to "buy" the digital copies for the permanent streaming option. Even though Disney obviously doesn't have to pay any licensing fees on their own content -- I could see them still doing this to keep the content fresh.

It keeps customers on the hook too as constant new (but old) content is released.

I mean right now I have quite a collection of Disney movies on MoviesAnywhere thanks to all the multi-packs I've bought over the past 10 years or so - both classic and new movies. I like having the digital copies of Beauty and the Beast, MOnsters Inc., Sword and the Stone. to watch whenever I want on my smart TV or device without a physical disc.

But if new movies will "live" on Disney+ forever -- I have no incentive to ever "buy" a physical or digital copy again if all I have to do is subscribe and have access to the whole library with the click of a button. I mean I am sure it will be easier/cheaper in the future to just stream movies right to your car -- no need for DVDs. (the main reason I get them .. for those long car trips with the kids)

But maybe that is just the future -- I mean who buys physical or MP3 music anymore? Just pay for a streaming service.

I bet though .. as much as we would love a "full Disney library" that Disney will either:
1) Trickle things like the classic movies into it ("coming next month - Peter Pan. Coming in June - Song of the South (J/k)")

2) Rotate the old and new content in and out of service - thus encouraging customers to "buy" the digital copies for the permanent streaming option. Even though Disney obviously doesn't have to pay any licensing fees on their own content -- I could see them still doing this to keep the content fresh.

It keeps customers on the hook too as constant new (but old) content is released.

I mean right now I have quite a collection of Disney movies on MoviesAnywhere thanks to all the multi-packs I've bought over the past 10 years or so - both classic and new movies. I like having the digital copies of Beauty and the Beast, MOnsters Inc., Sword and the Stone. to watch whenever I want on my smart TV or device without a physical disc.

But if new movies will "live" on Disney+ forever -- I have no incentive to ever "buy" a physical or digital copy again if all I have to do is subscribe and have access to the whole library with the click of a button. I mean I am sure it will be easier/cheaper in the future to just stream movies right to your car -- no need for DVDs. (the main reason I get them .. for those long car trips with the kids)

But maybe that is just the future -- I mean who buys physical or MP3 music anymore? Just pay for a streaming service.

The market has changed considerably, there are a lot of people that used to buy media but now just wait for Netflix. But if they rotate stuff just for the sake of rotating stuff, it’ll be a big ding against the service for me. I’m an odd case there though because I found it frustrating enough on Netflix to just build my own media server so nothing ever expires off it.

Also I’m the one that still buys music.

Great, now I have to have not only Cable, but 77 paid subscription things. Oh well... I guess I'm going to have to just find ways to save money. I can always live in a treehouse or one of those Home Depot sheds.

They even have a streaming service for dogs now. Call dog tv for 4.99 a month. No I’m not making this up. There’s lots of streaming services I can get just right through Comcast.
Hallmark movies now
Dove channel
Refinery 29
Blueprint
Brown sugar
Cheddar
Hopster
Oello
Outside tv
The great courses
Ride tv
D jazz
The reading corner
X I v e
Playkids
Daily burn
Magellan
Quark
Lion mountain tv
Pro guitar lessons
Sds
Touchfit.

There’s only 2 worth getting imo Netflix and prime. Than coming up Disney plus. I wouldn’t have prime if it wasn’t for the shipping. There was a long time I never watched prime until Comcast put it on with a app.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter