An Overplanner Takes on WDW – Feb 2019 PTR now with bonus Aug trip (New TR linked 9/2))

We leave on Friday and I’m really starting to stress about cooler weather. Particularly our DAH evening. I really don’t want to waste an hour or more going back to our resort before dinner for jackets. But my own stuff is way too bulky to carry around all day, even in a bag.

In your case, especially with how short your trip is, I'd do a locker rental. For $10-15, depending in size, you have the peace of mind of knowing that you have the warmer stuff there with you. I definitely value my Disney time at more than $15 an hour!

It will be here before you know it!

I agree on the pins as a fun souvenir. I would just caution on wearing them around the parks because they can easily fall off. On the first trip we got pins my sister lost hers at the airport because she was wearing it and she was pretty bummed. Thankfully, Disney was awesome and replaced it free of charge when my Dad tried to buy another one.

Might be a fun idea to wait until the end of the trip to pick out a pin that represents one of their favorite memories from the trip (or a couple of pins) like their favorite ride or favorite character they met or just something that sparks joy when they see it! That's usually how I pick out my pins!

Our Trip Is In The 10 Day Forecast

We have officially hit single digits for our trip! Now it’s close enough to really focus on getting everything in order before we leave. In-laws are booked for airport rides here in Philly, the neighbor kid has been shown where the cat food and litterboxes are, and I’ve got everything packed that we won’t need in the next week. The girls are currently having a Grandparents Weekend. They each split up between my mom, my dad, and my in-law’s houses from Friday night until Sunday: they adore the one-on-one time and hubby and I get 48 kid free hours! So, suddenly, my office looks great, the packing is as done as it can be a week out, and I get to sleep in tomorrow. Actually, the extra bedroom still looks crazy, but that’s mostly because I can’t totally finish off any of the suitcases until I also pack the long pants, socks, undies, etc which won’t happen until the days before.

The weather continues to look pretty good for our dates. There are days with possible rain, but that’s to be expected. Our forecasted highs range from 71-81, which is what I consider to be pretty much perfect weather, especially coming from dreary NJ. I’m still packing pants, too, as you never know how forecasts may change over a 10 day trip, but I’m feeling more confident we’ll be rocking our shorts most days.

I haven’t made too many changes on the planning front. The Beauty and the Beast stage show has officially been announced as under refurbishment during our trip. I had a feeling this was coming, as I was totally unable to book FPs, but I’m still disappointed. The girls would have LOVED this, but the good news is that they don’t actually know that they’re missing out. It also clears up room on our first HS day, so it looks like both of those days are going to be more like half days that also allow us some rest time at the resort. Other little things have required revision (changes to parade or show times, the move of the Wreck it Ralph meet within Epcot), but nothing too major.

The girls watched Snow White and have subsequently decided that they do want to meet the Evil Queen and the “Hi ho guys.” Now, I had this booked on a couple of different nights and was trying to fit it into my schedule, with both ‘Ohana and Hollywood & Vine potentially on the chopping block. However, when the kids informed me emphatically and repeatedly that they didn’t want any meals with bad guys, I cancelled all three and decided to go with Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue instead. Of course, my canceled slots are long gone, so I’ve got TP reservation finder back at work to see if I can snag Artist Point. I did explain to the girls that we had already cancelled them in favor of the dinner show and they’ve been understanding. I picked up a 1900 Park Fare (they’ve also decided that they’d like to have a few words with the stepsisters) so, if I can get Artist Point, that’ll be the second restaurant that we use the two credits currently allocated to HDDR. It certainly won’t make or break the trip but I’m hoping I have a little bit of luck and manage to get this one back on the books.

We officially told the girls our travel date and made a paper chain to count down. They’re getting super excited already, so I can only imagine how high strung they’ll be next weekend right before we leave. On a scale of 1-10, they’ve been at about a 13 all week just from looking forward to Valentine’s Day and Grandparents Weekend. I’m pretty sure the Disney hype is going to drive them to yet-unseen heights.

We have officially hit single digits for our trip!
Woo Hoo!!! I think today was the first day I let myself get excitied about the trip!

n the kids informed me emphatically and repeatedly that they didn’t want any meals with bad guys, I cancelled all three and decided to go with Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue instead
Oh no!!!!

I picked up a 1900 Park Fare (they’ve also decided that they’d like to have a few words with the stepsisters) so
Well, I will say that either, I think you will be happy.

It certainly won’t make or break the trip but I’m hoping I have a little bit of luck and manage to get this one back on the books.
Fingers Crossed!

On a scale of 1-10, they’ve been at about a 13 all week just from looking forward to Valentine’s Day and Grandparents Weekend. I’m pretty sure the Disney hype is going to drive them to yet-unseen heights.
I can only image how excitied they must be!

I’m (Sort Of) On Vacation!

Only 4 days to go: woo hoo! Today was my last day of work before the trip, as I only work part-time Tues-Thurs. My goal for this week was to get as much as I could done in advance so that my co-workers wouldn’t have to touch too much of my stuff for the next two weeks. Except, Monday I had to back someone else up who was out and only got his stuff done all day. Then, Tuesday we closed at noon for snow, so I only managed a half day of productivity. I gave it my best effort today, but I still left way more undone than I would have hoped. To top it all off, I had to attend a webinar in my last hour today related to a brand new, not very well explained, super detailed procedure being implemented. The whole webinar was supposed to be answering listener questions from the last webinar (yes, the project is that annoying) and the sound was completely screwed up. I spent 40 minutes listening to, “Well, what I really want to stress is … (silence)… and, also, make sure you focus on … (silence)….” It would have been way more infuriating if I wasn’t about to walk out the door for nearly two weeks.

On the planning front, the Touring Plans reservation finder came through for me! I was able to pick Artist Point back up where I wanted it, so I gave the kids the great news. I told them that Disney had texted me and that, if they wanted to cancel Hoop Dee Doo Revue, we could go to dinner with the Dopey and Grumpy! They were… concerned as to why we had to cancel HDDR and couldn’t do both. I said they were at the same time, to which my daughter very reasonably said, “Well, we can do one the one night and another the other night, Mom.” After much back and forth, largely related to how we aren’t actually moving to Florida and thus can’t do everything possible over the course of one visit, no firm decisions have been made. I think we may watch some YouTube videos of both experiences to give the kids a better feel for their choices.

Also exciting are the new treats being served up in MK for the spring. Now, I’m not sure that I’ll even order them as many don’t sound particularly to my liking. However, for months, I’ve been seeing blog posts about limited time snacks and been mildly sad that I wouldn’t be at Disney when they were available. So, the excitement is more that the announcements are finally about things during my trip, not so much the things themselves.

Now, I just need to figure out how to keep myself and the girls occupied through the weekend. The packing is essentially done, we’re all completely hyped up, and it’s too cold out to just have them go run it off at a playground. Perhaps a trip to the roller rink is in our near future…

One More Sleep!

One more sleep: that’s what my girls woke up screaming at 6:30am. I would have been more frustrated if I hadn’t thought the same thing when my eyes popped open at 6:05. For those of you wondering, while I know 6am is a typical start time for lots of families with small children, our house runs on a 7am wake-up, so this was quite outside the norm. It appears that the girls have inherited my inability to sleep before exciting happenings, which does not bode well. My husband can still sleep, so the girls and I are going to have to try to stay quiet when we’re all out of bed at 5:30 tomorrow morning.

Despite the fact that we’ll be eligible for family boarding, I still hopped onto Southwest at exactly 24 hours before our flight and we ended up with high numbers in B group. On the off chance that they don’t family board for this flight, we’re not in the Cs somewhere. Much more exciting, everyone on our booking is listed as TSA precheck! As part of our trip planning, hubby opened a credit card that, among other things, reimbursed his cost of a global entry card. While this would allow him to take himself and the girls through the precheck line, there was the possibility that we’d have to split up at security. As many other people have reported, we were lucky enough that I was also given precheck, likely as a result of his known traveler number being on the reservation. Now we can all keep our shoes on, at least for the flight out!

As the result of much back and forth, it seems that we won’t be doing Storybook dining at Artist Point. After showing the kids highlight videos from there and HDDR, they wanted to know why we couldn’t just keep both. This sent me down the rabbit hole of explaining pretty much every TS we have and asking which one they would replace. Several Disney Food Blog videos later, they’ve decided that they like things as I have them laid out and are ok not meeting Dopey and Grumpy. Really, I’m still glad I got the reservation and gave them the choice. Better to get the little bit of disappointment about not meeting dwarfs out of the way now, rather than have them realize on the way back to the airport and totally bum them out at the end of the trip. I’m going to try to hit character training at EP and HS and cross my fingers, but if we do find one of them, then that would just be pixie dust.

If you’re reading this before 11:15am EST on 2/25, please cross your fingers and toes that our flight isn’t delayed. There’s no snow storm in town, but there’s some crazy wind storm with gusts possible up to 60 mph. Southwest has a weather warning in place for PHL tonight into tomorrow and, honestly, as someone who has no idea about the actual process involved, wind gusts that high certainly sound like the kind of thing that could mess with take off. I’m feeling much better about not making any firm plans on arrival day. If we’re running a bit late, I’m not going to be sweating an ADR or FP time.

Right now feels like the calm before the storm. All of the packing has been done for a while; the last minute, morning-of list is complete; and we even started loading the van with some of the bags that are fully packed. Now comes the actual vacation part. Eeeeee!!

I hope you had a great trip!!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!

On the planning front, the Touring Plans reservation finder came through for me! I was able to pick Artist Point back up where I wanted it, so I gave the kids the great news.
YEAH!!!! Glad you got it and were able to let the girls help pick! I hope you enjoyed Hoop Dee Doo Review.

There’s no snow storm in town, but there’s some crazy wind storm with gusts possible up to 60 mph. S
That is what happened!!!! We came home and all of our out door chairs were tipped over. They are super heavy and we were just like, what happened... It looked like someone came in the backyard and just randomly pushed them over. Ha!

Ridiculous Update:
A few days after coming back from Disney, Hubby's boss sent out an email about possible conferences for this year, including one that's at Swolphin in October. This email sent us both spiraling, thinking about being able to get the girls back down to Disney to do MNSSHP.

They LOVE Halloween. On the ME back to the airport, they were watching the little promotional video and telling us, "Did you hear that, Mom? You can trick or treat in Disney. We should do that." Hubby and I just laughed. We had blown all of our Disney budget for the next 5 years on this trip, no way we were going back down for Halloween. But, we had such a great trip! And, trick or treating in Disney is fundamentally more magical when you're 5 years old than waiting until the trip where they're 9-10 years old. We're going to love that trip, it'll be great too, but magic won't be "real" for them the way it is now.

And then, the stupid email got us both thinking. If he already had a room and a flight, then we'd just be talking about flights for 4, transport from MCO to WDW (Hubby would be able to rent a car, but the company wouldn't let him rent a minivan which is what our family of five would require to get from airport to Disney in only one vehicle), park tickets, party tickets, and food. I started pricing flights, looking at ticket costs on his convention site, etc and we decided that we'd be willing to spend a couple grand on those things to be able to have a Halloween trip to Disney.

Then, of course, we found out that his boss sent the email prematurely (he's new) and the funds hadn't actually been allocated for this travel. The rug was officially pulled out from under us. So, I started fiddling again. If we were willing to have x budget to go while Hubby was at a convention, was there a way to juggle those funds and do a super short, MNSSHP trip with that same budget?

Our very good family friends are going on a free dining promotion the last two weeks of August and staying at Beach Club. I was able to snag an awesome room rate at BC as well, we'd fly super cheap with Spirit taking only personal items (our friends can bring a checked bag for us on their Southwest flights), MNSSHP tickets are much less expensive in August, and we wouldn't do any other park days. Plus, our friends fully expect to have extra QS and snacks on their dining package so we'd be able to do food on the cheap, too. Even more exciting, we would take their 3 kids on our arrival night so they could have a date night, reverse it and we'd get a date night the next night, and then we'd all do MNSSHP our last full day before flying home the next. All for the same budget as a couple park days and MNSSHP during Hubby's would-be convention week.

Then, Hubby found out he's been accumulating Delta points for the decade plus that he's been traveling for work (apparently, all other airline points expire but Delta don't, so his 2-4 flights a year on Delta have been adding up) and he has enough points to get us all down to MCO for only the $28 transaction fee. With our airfare budget halved, we could swing one park day in addition to the MNSSHP!

So, now there's a blink-and-you'll miss it Disney trip on the books for us the last week of August. And then we won't be going back for 5 years, or until Hubby gets sent down for a convention, I guess.

The plan is:

Sunday, 8/25- flight lands at 2:30, ME to hotel, check in, grab friend's kids, QS dinner on crescent lake, probably roast s'mores at campfire and maybe movie under the stars. Friends' kids will have been going since a PPO at BoG, so I'll probably put them to bed early. My girls and Hubby will catch the movie, night swim, or walk around to the evening stuff on BW since they'll be running on day one adrenaline.

Monday, 8/26- Hollywood Studios morning to early afternoon with both families (RD TSL with SDD FPs since this will be my friend's +9 day and she'll be able to book for all 10 of us, do Indy and BatB which we missed in March, meet characters in Walt Dis presents assuming they've changed) until the kids get too hot and we all walk back to Stormalong bay. That night, Hubby and I have ToT and RnR FPs booked on all of the kids' bands plus our own and get a fun, adult ride night. The Star Wars fireworks were the only night show that we missed on our trip, and Hubby would like to see those, too. I know Hollywood studios isn't the park most people would pick if they were only doing one park day, but we'll be at MK already for the party and, between AK, HS, and EP, HS actually makes the most sense in terms of rides and shows the kids liked, plus being able to get back and forth to the hotel quickly to bail on the kids and take an adult night. We discussed EP, but the only FW ride they absolutely loved was TT, whereas they loved all of TSL plus Muppets 3d of all things.

Tuesday, 8/27- resort morning, Chef Mickey's 2pm brunch, then MNSSHP. My friends had HDDR booked for the 25th originally, but they decided they would rather have the date night when we'd be able to take the kids. Since this opened up 2 sets of dining credits, and our family configurations are the same (2a3c), they can use those same credits for all 10 of us to enjoy a big old buffet before the party. The kids aren't going to make it to midnight, but they'll have a fighting chance at a late night since they won't have already spent a week wearing themselves out touring. And, the adults are fine with dragging kids sleeping in strollers through the park so that we can still have fun after they tap out :-)

Wednesday, 8/28- resort time until we fly home. Looking at afternoon or evening flights so that we don't have to be up too early. We can even use our friend's room to shower and change before catching ME, rather than having to deal with public showers and children.

Oh wow, what an amazing unexpected treat!!! Your plan sounds perfect for a quick, fun getaway (and, yayyy, for an adult night in the parks!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter