An observation and question re: 'reality' shows

I watched one episode of Survivor in the second season. Couldn't get into it.

I watched a couple of episodes of that show where people do things like eat roaches. Couldn't get into it.

I've never seen any of the rest of the ones on that 45 page list you posted LOL.

I think it probably is the train wreck syndrome.

But then again, I don't really watch much TV at all; the occasional PBS program and movie rentals. Heck, I don't even have cable LOL. And my TV is only 13". I tend to do alot of other things that I prefer over TV. I wouldn't even own a TV if it wasn't for the fact that I like to rent movies.

So I can't really answer your question Dan LOL.

We''l occasionally tune in the Osbournes, but the rest hold no interest in this house. I'm waiting for the networks to get off their butts and actually create shows again. Long wait, I know! Could be why I watch so little TV, and what I do watch is current events, A&E, Discovery, History Channel and baseball.

The Amazing Race......IMPO the coolest show ever. I love it because I really want to travel the world one day......as much as I can see.:D I love the fact it shows you the "real" towns and country, citys and streets...not the picture perfect shots like on most travel shows.......it is totaly about seeing who can go around the world FIRST.......not lose, I think you would really like, Will you watch it IF I ever get chosen to be on it???:D ;)

That is quite a list there Dan! LOL! :)

I am another person guilty of watching "reality" TV and I don't care what people think about me because of it. :) I watch different shows for different reasons.

Survivor - I admit I was very skeptical of the original idea when I heard about it but my curiousity got the best of me and by the end of the first episode I was hooked. I like seeing how the relationships develop, the challenges, etc. Plus this past season my family started playing Fantasy Survivor through Yahoo and we would put points on who we thought was going to voted out each week. It became a fun "game" to play with my family every week. This was nice because I hardly ever get to see them since they live so far away. :)

Amazing Race - This is favorite reality show. The contestants are not so much competing against each other as they are with themselves. It is interesting to see the relationships change and I love the locations. The show can actually be a little educational as well as entertaining.

Joe Millionaire - This is my really guilty pleasure TV. I just had to watch because I knew it would be a big topic and I wanted to be able to join in on the conversation! ;) Curiousity was the culprit once again!

American Idol - I was bored last summer and happened to stumble across this show and I liked it. I love music and I find it entertaining to see talented people sing. It is also interesting to see how the rest of the nation feels.

The only other reality shows that I have ever watched is about 2 seasons of the Real World. I watched the first season back when I was still in high school. I also watched the New Orleans season a couple of years ago but this is one show that I can take it or leave it.

I have no clue what the attraction is.
I don't watch any of these shows. I have seen enough bits and pieces here and there to know I don't care for them. In fact, with so many of them on and little else these days, I hardly turn my TV on at all anymore.

Reality shows are a monetary boom for the televison industry. They make goo gobs of money and they don't have to pay big name stars to be in them!

I think the Friends, Seinfeld, ER type shows will have to take a step back for the reality boom, but something tells me they will have their season,then they'll be gone.

Funny you didn't mention the judge shows, they've been around forEVER.

I don't think it's a shame or a guilty pleasure to watch these shows. I watch them for the same reason some people watch sporting events, for ENTERTAINMENT purposes only! I don't post threads asking why do people watch the Superbowl, but they do and they have that right, don't they? Frankly, I'd throw MY TV out of a window before watching any ball being thrown or bounced.

It's personal preference and entertainment.

The first one I got into was Survivor. I frankly thought my sister was out of her mind when she told me she was watching it! She had a tape of the first few episodes so she played it for us at my parents' house one weekend. I was hooked from then on. And I SWORE I'd never watch something that "stupid" .... :rolleyes:

I am a student of human nature. I truly like to see what people will do under certain situations. It is truly amazing sometimes to watch.

As for scripted, I think some are but all are edited and produced. That's inevitable. People do NOT act the way they do normally with a camera in their faces, so "reality" is somewhat limited.

LOL, to Kelsie for her comparison to the thread on the boards. The amount of VIEWS these "train wrecks" get is phenomenal. I don't partake in them but I sure don't ask those who do WHY they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter