An honest to God rumor that even Scoop may like!!!

An ending comment that is obviously opinion is certainly better than 16 pages of fact based on your personal interpruatation...

There's nothing wrong with my Disney history my dear Landbaron, and you know it. Walt never had one gleaming moment of thought toward making Epcot a theme park. It was going to be the city of tomorrow. A living & working community...And you know that, too.

I don't see your 'Eisner's mod's vs. Walt's Poly' at all. Are you still saying Walt's Poly is superior to Eisner's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Bawhahahahahaha. With the Mod's Eisner did exactly what Walt always strived to do at the orginal DL...In fact he maybe gave more. He gave families on a smaller budget a place to go, feel safe & feel completely and utterly immersed in the surroundings that they most likely feel most comfortable in. Hey, I love the nice Disney hotels but you know I'd feel very out of place at a Ritz Carlton...I'm very happy there are other options. Don't you think these people who aren't comfortable with the 'high life' deserve Disney too? Or do they only deserve "less Disney?"

The Disney Company under Walt had a hotel standard? Please tell me what it is...Or do I need to look at the Poly again? :rolleyes:

Further, you suggest I need to brush up on my Miller/
Walkr era history? Oh yes, the duo so inept that they had to bring Eisner in as the savior!!! I know you've somehow convinced yourself that these clowns were somehow better than Eisner, but what did they do that wasn't already scripted by Walt(in form or in history) and bounced off Roy? And they still screwed the pooch. Actually LB, I think you need to read more of the non-sanctioned Walt chronicals to see the light a little more clearly...

:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

But we’re not talking about the ‘entire’ experience. We are talking nuts and bolts only. We are dissecting the experience.
One can't dissect the experience if one doesn't start with the entire experience. Biology students wouldn't learn much about frogs if they only dissected the lower half!
The Disney resorts are designed to evoke a response. A subjective, emotional response. To only examine the mechanism without the response is looking at half the picture. Would you take your car to mechanic who, upon only looking at the engine pronounced it fixed? No, you would expect him to start it up and find out if it runs.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating...
A resort that has Disney theming, Disney CM's and creates a Disney experience for its guests is worthy of being at WDW, whether you can see the parking lot or not.

There's nothing wrong with my Disney history my dear Landbaron, and you know it. Walt never had one gleaming moment of thought toward making Epcot a theme park. It was going to be the city of tomorrow. A living & working community...And you know that, too.

One problem. Walt died. In the end, it doesn’t matter whether or not Walt had influence on Epcot (I’m not conceding that you’re right…I’m just moving on to the heart of my point in bringing Epcot into the discussion). The point is that Epcot is something that is on par with the Magic Kingdom. To which you say:

Now you go on to say that AK & MGM are "less". To who? Well, to you obviously but how can you state that as fact? Because it has less attractions? Fine. Then MK is just a joke too, because in comparison to DL (# of attractions) MK just falls way short...Yet you guys feel the MK is magical, don't you? Very strange twist don't cha think?

I don’t know the figures of attraction counts at the parks, but okay. I’ll assume you’re right. Disney World has 43 square miles of space upon which to put those attractions. Disneyland doesn’t have that. You can’t look at a current attraction/attraction count because things have become so morphed that it’s pointless to try and compare the two. If you want an accurate point of reference, count up the attractions that Disneyland had in 1955, and count up the attractions that the Magic Kingdom had in 1971. There’s a more accurate count. And just to reiterate:

I LOVE Animal Kingdom too!

I will fully admit that the Animal Kingdom is a Disney experience. I said that. Twice. But what it could have been. What it could have been we’ll never know because they decided it needed to built and opened in 1998. Instead of waiting, they decided to build the park piece by piece after opening. Or, in the case of the MGM Studios, racing to open before a cross-town rival, and having just two attractions when you open.

I don't see your 'Eisner's mod's vs. Walt's Poly' at all. Are you still saying Walt's Poly is superior to Eisner's Animal Kingdom Lodge? Bawhahahahahaha. With the Mod's Eisner did exactly what Walt always strived to do at the orginal DL...In fact he maybe gave more. He gave families on a smaller budget a place to go, feel safe & feel completely and utterly immersed in the surroundings that they most likely feel most comfortable in.

You’ve completely ignored a huge bulk of what I previously stated. If they hadn’t opened so many hotels, they wouldn’t have tons of rooms to fill – rooms that CAN’T be filled, and in order to compensate for those unfilled rooms, they wouldn’t have had to jack up the rates. And that’s fact. Not fact with personal interpretation, but fact. And if you need more proof of that, look at Pop Century. Oh wait, you can’t. Because it hasn’t opened yet because – I’ll say it again – Eisner bit off more than he could chew and built a new resort with rooms that can’t be filled; can’t be filled to the point that the opening had to be postponed how long?

Hey, I love the nice Disney hotels but you know I'd feel very out of place at a Ritz Carlton...I'm very happy there are other options. Don't you think these people who aren't comfortable with the 'high life' deserve Disney too? Or do they only deserve "less Disney?"

Ritz-Carlton: You need a blazer to walk in the lobby. Disney hotels: walk around in shorts and a T-Shirt. When did the Disney hotels come on par with the Ritz-Carlton? (in terms other than price) The only time that these hotels became upscale was when there were other hotel “classes” added that shoved the Polynesian into a catergory called “deluxe”.

Ritz-Carlton: You need a blazer to walk in the lobby. Disney hotels: walk around in shorts and a T-Shirt. When did the Disney hotels come on par with the Ritz-Carlton? (in terms other than price) The only time that these hotels became upscale was when there were other hotel “classes” added that shoved the Polynesian into a catergory called “deluxe”.
The LandBaron rises and cheers wildly!!! :bounce:

BRAVO!!! WELL SAID!!!

Mr. SS, I never said the Ritz was comparable to Disney deluxes, I made a personal analogy that while I like nice hotels I would feel very uncomfortable at the Ritz level, despite the fact that my wallet could handle the occasional Ritz price-tag, the analogy was that while Disney deluxes offer a great deal to their particular niche there are still many, many people who PREFER not only the lower price tag of a motel-like resort but appreciate the lack of certain amenities that could perhaps be discomforting to some (i.e bellmen, valets, fancy lobby's, etc.).

As for the DL vs. Mk issue, this is huge in respect that often MGM & AK are criticized for not living up to the standard of MK, yet the MK has (if I'm not mistaken) some 40% fewer attractions than DL. MGM, Epcot, AK & DCA can't be considered as we're discussing the original standard, right? If AK fails to meet the test of the MK, then how can the MK's failure to meet the test of DL be excluded?

Where did the "I love Animal Kingdom too" quote come from? Just curious.

On to your point about too many rooms. I didn't respond because I don't see how this relates to whether the mods are 'totally Disney' or not, which is my argument. I see the problem Disney has with too many rooms but it seems like just the times. I mean they were full a couple of years ago & it wouldn't seem prudent to not fill the need. Who could predict the myriad of events that caused Disney's attendance decline, not denying Disney's own significant role in the problem with its less than stirling management decisions...Maybe Mr. Kidds Or Mr. Horizon's Fan will want to respond to this further...
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

Dave,

An interesting point. And one that I can sure play with. HOWEVER, I could not play that game with Mr. Kidds or Scoop!! For them the Mods are the be all and end all. The definitive Disney experience. On a par, or dare we say, even better than some of the other resorts, INCLUDING the originals. Or at least it appeared that way to me.

And today that very well may be the case. I know that they have let the Contemporary atrophy beyond what I would call reasonable. Perhaps many feel the same way about the Poly. So in order to take that subjectivity out of the question, in order to eliminate personal taste, we had to dissect it a bit. I wanted to try and explain to them what a Disney experience was when the Vacation Kingdom was first conceived. And how that ‘experience’ has degenerated over the years. Again, you may disagree with what they thought was important, but that isn’t the point. So:
A resort that has Disney theming, Disney CM's and creates a Disney experience for its guests is worthy of being at WDW, whether you can see the parking lot or not.
This sentence alone convinces me that you need a bit of education about the ‘good-old-days’. This was one heck of an important aspect to the whole ‘theme’ concept. They built a berm around Disneyland for this express purpose. Now, YOU may not consider it important, but it is one of the founding principles of the Disney philosophy!!

I clearly remember a time when even glimpsing a backstage area was STRICTLY FORBIDDEN!!! Not so today. And so I try to relate how wonderful an experience that type of thinking was. To NEVER see a tradesman, even in the hotels, during the day. To NEVER see a construction site from even the road. To NEVER see the parking lot (OK, the tower of the Contemporary would be a bit of a stretch, but I think you get the point)!! To NEVER even see plywood hiding a construction area (they were very careful to theme even the construction site). I just want them to understand what it was like. They may choose to ignore it. Or hold to concepts, like Ei$ner, that efficiency SHOULD come before SHOW. Or that it just isn’t important, let the vacuums roar!!! I really don’t care. I just want them to KNOW that there was a difference!!

But what I get is that the Mods are “the same” as the Poly!! Or that the Floridian is the Standard!! Or worse, “does it really matter if you can see the parking lot if it costs a few bucks less?” That, perhaps, is the worst one of all. Cause it shows just how far the SHOW has fallen. Cost for magic. Or, pay more and get more magic. As if it were a commodity. Since when is this a Disney concept!?!?

The Disney resorts are designed to evoke a response. A subjective, emotional response. To only examine the mechanism without the response is looking at half the picture.
Dave, I couldn’t agree more. But let me ask you a question. What would you say to a room that is on an equal with the absolute worst motel you can imagine. Cheap beds. A bathroom you can hardly turn around in. No TV. Anyway, you get my point. Now dazzle up the rest of the hotel with Disney “Stuff”. Decorate or theme the heck out of it. Is that acceptable? I mean, does it ALL come down to theme?

That’s what I’m trying to get at. Theme is theme. And there’s no denying that Disney does theme GREAT!! So let’s stipulate to it. It’s a given. Where does that leave us? Ah! With some bare-bones minimum STANDARDS to which we can judge the differences.

And I’ll put it to you the same way as I put it to Mr. Kidds. The year is 1968. You are the Imagineer that is charged with writing the scope and/or specs for what will become the Poly. OK, young hot-shot!! Show us your stuff!! The page is blank and YOU get to fill it. What are you going to do? How big SHOULD a Disney room be and is it important to the Show or the experience? What size bed and is it important to the Show or the experience? How many dressers and is it important to the Show or the experience? How many drawers and is it important to the Show or the experience? Color TV (1968 remember) and is it important to the Show or the experience? Outside corridors and is it important to the Show or the experience? What about rental rates and is it important to the Show or the experience? SHOULD you see a parking lot and is it important to the Show or the experience? Do we do a turn down service and is it important to the Show or the experience? What about check in, how do we handle it and is it important to the Show or the experience? Should there be a restaurant and is it important to the Show or the experience? What about a food court and is it important to the Show or the experience? Should there be suites and is it important to the Show or the experience? What about the pools and is it important to the Show or the experience? Should there be a lobby and is it important to the Show or the experience? What about elevators and is it important to the Show or the experience? Transportation and is it important to the Show or the experience? How about a free daily paper and is it important to the Show or the experience? Disney soap and is it important to the Show or the experience? Room service and is it important to the Show or the experience?

In other words - Just what in the world DEFINES a Disney Resort Experience, other than theme!??

I think that these are questions Ei$ner DIDN’T ask, but should have. He seems to have worried about theme only. And in the end he even threw that out the window (All-Stars anyone?).

Scoop,

I knew you were at WDW so I took my time with this. I wanted it to be fresh and at the top of the thread when you returned!! I hope the delay hasn’t caused you any emotional stress!! ;)
...First, Baron, when I referred to the "objectivity" of myself and Disney business I refer to all those macro and micro threads as well as the service and goods oriented threads.
But I question how accurate that analysis really is. After all, you claim to be very UN-observant when visiting WDW and you totally disregard comparisons and/or evaluations, thus refusing to contrast different aspects of the SHOW even from the perspective of your living room well after the trip has been made. After all, as you are so fond of pointing out, that’s what I do. While I’m there I HAVE A BALL!! But upon reflection, a week or so after the trip, I start to evaluate, measure and appraise all things in that special World of Disney. And that cold, objective and, for the most part, logical analysis leads me to certain obvious conclusions. Conclusions which I reached several years ago, utilizing this process, regarding Ei$ner and his disregard for the “Walt” philosophy, that are finally proving absolutely correct!! When I started this “deliberate contemplation” I was a voice in the wilderness. Today, if I’m not careful, I run the risk of losing my driver’s seat in good old car #3!! But you, as stated in previous posts, don’t do that “analytical thing”. No contrast and compare on the Scoop vacation!! So how can you be objective when it comes to anything regarding WDW? Or did I read your posts wrong?

You see, my WDW "history" is recent enough that I'm not beholden (prejudiced by?) any previous regime experiences.
Oh, I don’t think so. Why is it that I can be “beholden (prejudiced by?)” my first experience and you can’t be? The answer, of course, is that you are!! You are “beholden (prejudiced by?)” the Ei$ner regime. What is commonly referred to around here as Disney®. And there’s nothing wrong with that. In fact the very next paragraph of yours states it explicitly!!
but in the end, EVERYONE always looks at the past in a more selective focus than the present. I mean its human nature.
You’re right. EVERYONE!! Including you! It’s just that your past is a little more recent than mine. But you still have it! Remember Mr. And Mrs. Scoop in the All-Stars!! If that’s not emotional, rosy-ness then nothing is!!

However, this does leave you lacking. No matter how you slice it, you don’t have the perspective, or the experience, to truly KNOW. The best you can do is “deliberately contemplate” what it must have been like in the beginning of WDW. But as stated earlier, you don’t even do that!! So, from what perspective are you coming from? Are you the one that tells me that Wings has “just as much” magic as the Beatles, only in a different way? Or that the excitement level of a Wings concert is “the same” as a Beatles concert? It sounds that way to me.

Humans have been given a gift which allows us to much more readily remember the good experiences than the bad. Sure, that gift ends up causing some of that rose-coloredness but it is a wonderful gift anyway. Very wonderful.
Yep! That’s why it takes real diligence and very “deliberate contemplation” to truly discriminate between fact and “the-good-old-days” syndrome. Which is why I try to stick to philosophical issues. And I try to leave personal prejudice and rosy experiences out of the equation. It’s hard and I don’t succeed every time, but Ei$ner is such an easy target that it really doesn’t take that much discipline!! ;)
And as for the second point, I'll just have to raise my hands in agreement when you say I'm looking at my WDW vacation experiences emotionally rather than logically.
To borrow a very fitting phrase from my good friend Mr. Kidds: ‘nuff said!!
On vacation, it's all about me and the Scoop clan. Selfish? Maybe if I was talking about charity work. But, not on vacation. And, again, you've admitted as much the same. When you take your July sojourns, you too are overcome by the Dust.
Absolutely!! But I really can’t understand how this precludes any reflective thought process a month down the road after you’ve dusted off the DUST! That analytical eye can certainly be turned on once the Visa is paid off and the snow is falling on your Tennessee Street! Can’t it? :rolleyes:

Of course that would mean you’d have to leave your personal and emotional experiences behind you and look at things a little more objectively. Something you’d rather not do, I’m sure, especially in this particular instance. You’d rather argue from an ‘experience’ perspective and respond emotionally. And I understand. There is very little I can counter with except, “Well, it works for you so, God Bless!!” But if we take the subjectivity away… Alas! A game you won’t play!! :(

And I’ll put it to you the same way as I put it to Mr. Kidds. The year is 1968. You are the Imagineer that is charged with writing the scope and/or specs for what will become the Poly. OK, young hot-shot!! Show us your stuff!! The page is blank and YOU get to fill it. What are you going to do? How big SHOULD a Disney room be and is it important to the Show or the experience? What size bed and is it important to the Show or the experience?... (edited to save some HDD space!) ... How about a free daily paper and is it important to the Show or the experience? Disney soap and is it important to the Show or the experience? Room service and is it important to the Show or the experience?
All of these things contribute to the Show and the experience. I still assert that all of these things need not be present for the Show and the experience to happen, and happen well, and be "Disney through and through".
There are balcony seats in most theatres that cost less than orchestra. Why is that? Because people can spend less money and see the same show. They're happy, the people in the orchestra seats are happy and the producers are happy. Why is that wrong?
Because of my mom's illness, we had to reschedule our trip at the last minute and split our stay last summer.
For the first three nights of my trip, I had a Boardwalk view. It was amazing.
For the last seven nights of my trip, I had a Mansion room at POR. It was amazing.
I had an equally Disney experience at both resorts. I was in the orchestra for three nights and in the balcony for the rest of the stay, but the Show never waivered. (And I'm being as objective as I can possibly be while totally immersed in Disney magic!)

God!! I like talking to you Mr. Fans!! It’s different! And that’s no slam on the others, I just like fresh ideas once in a while. Lord knows the opposition probably gets tired of me and welcomes SS (I like that better than Mr. Stacky) or Sir Raider! Anyway, of course, you’re wrong!! ;) And here’s why!!

All of these things contribute to the Show and the experience. I still assert that all of these things need not be present for the Show and the experience to happen, and happen well, and be "Disney through and through".
RIGHT!! I’m with you!! BUT!!! How many need to go before we can safely say that it is no longer Disney? One? Two? Ten? Are they equally important? Do they become trade off items? And why would any of them have to go in the first place? Just consider this while you read on.
There are balcony seats in most theatres that cost less than orchestra. Why is that? Because people can spend less money and see the same show. They're happy, the people in the orchestra seats are happy and the producers are happy. Why is that wrong?
Not at all! That is why I NEVER had a problem with Disney charging more money within the same resort. You had three distinct classes right off the bat. Lagoon view (orchestra seats), Pool view (mezzanine, I suppose) and garden view (balcony seats). Notice that there was NOT a parking lot view!! This theater was built WITHOUT a second balcony!! And you even had a certain number of box seats (suites). But they were ALL for the same show!! The same costumes, make-up, lighting, direction, script, acting, stars, music, musicians, choreographer, dancers, staging, sets, etc. THE SAME SHOW!!!

Where I think we part company is the definition of that show BECAUSE of the elements in paragraph one! The script is the same. The Music Man has the EXACT words and music for Broadway as it is for the local dinner theater. But the production is quite different! Could it be that the Poly is Broadway, primarily due to the stated items and the Mods are Dinner theater? Or at least off-Broadway? And that leaves the All-Stars as your local amateur production, with Pop Century as your local high school producton! Isn’t THAT more close to the mark?

Whew! A busy night. :crazy: In order I guess - you first Snacky.

You present quite the oxymoron ;). You take some things way too far, while not going far enough on others. Let’s discuss.....

First where you go too far.
Strip away ALL of the themeing, and look at the rides and shows. MGM and Animal Kingdom come up with substantially less than do the Magic Kingdom or Epcot.
This is the biggest problem with the LarryBaronSnackStack line of thought. You go way too far in dissecting something that can't be dissected. Or, if you find a way to dissect it you study the wrong anatomy. You simply can't do this. That is what HF is pointing out. A Disney theme park experience is not about just the rides. Anyone can do rides, even great ones. It is just as much the park that those rides are contained in that makes Disney 'Disney'. What makes YOU think that rides are the core defining element of a THEME park, especially a Disney THEME park? You talk like we are just supposed to accept that. The pot and the kettle have to come out of the cupboard as your assumption is just as subjective as anything else around here :eek:. Agreed, the rides themselves, the mechanisms are not subjective - they are cold steel. However, the decision that the rides represent the core standard for the theme parks is very subjective. It is the same problem with the resort discussion. At least the DKPeterCrookFan camp is not afraid to use words like 'I'. You leave the word out and assume something is a given (YOUR opinion) that is not a given at all.

Try this out. Sit back from the screen. Take a deep breath. OK, another. Close your eyes and say these words. THEME PARK. Say it again, THEME PARK. A few more times - THEME PARK, THEME PARK, THEME PARK. OK, now tell me, what makes a THEME park a THEME park? Yes, it is THEME!!! Rides fit into a theme park, but it is THEME that differentiates it from an amusement park. So this statement........
If you’re building a theme park, the heart of that park is rides.
..........is completely wrong. Walt invented the THEME park for the very distinct purpose of being different than an amusement park. Sure, he wanted to put new, better, innovative, quality rides and shows into that THEME park, but it is THEME that is central, not rides.

Now where you don't go far enough.
The ‘it’ we are referring to is art. The art of creating not only a theme park, but a vacation destination. Because Walt Disney was first, and foremost an artist. The love of his art is what I am referring to. And he crafted his art carefully.
OK, let’s agree that he loved art. He was an art appreciator. He did craft that art carefully. Fine. So you are saying that he created theme park art for the sake of art? He created artful theme parks so he would have something to look at? He created them for others to appreciate, like a picture on a wall? No. Take it a bit further. It doesn't even have to be conceptual thought. Walt said it himself - he created DL because he wanted to create a place that families could enjoy together. A place that was better than anything that existed at the time. That was his driving force in the theme park - not art itself. Sure, he made the parks artful, art was key in the implementation. However, they were about more than simply expressing his love for art.

As for you and Baron harping on cost/price, you are wrong. Go back just a few years and the 'mods' were just as full as any other hotel, without any additional discounts. Sure, now there are too many hotels rooms, partly due to overbuilding (a lot), and partly due to market conditions (a little). However, that sure wasn't the case 10 years ago. Furthermore, an excess of inventory today has nothing to do with the subject at hand – the resort experience. As far as price, we can go around on that again, but I don't believe the prices are as exorbitant as you would have people believe. Are you implying that the Poly should be $77? Let me know so I can determine just how deluded you really are ;) :crazy:.

As for answering your question without the word 'I', consider this. Do you honestly believe, because you don't type the letter, that every single thing you have written is nothing more than what you think, your opinion :confused: :rolleyes:. Don't fool yourself my friend ;). Saying white is white is fact, black is black is fact. However saying that rides are the core defining element of a Disney park is not fact. Saying that the Poly specs represent the core defining element of a Disney resort is not fact. These are ‘I think’ and ‘I believe’ opinions. Yes, you may point to something you believe provides the basis for said opinion, but that doesn’t make it so. Just because you don’t use the phrases ‘I think’ and ‘I believe’ doesn’t change what they are. So go back and read my answer. I state what I think – and that is all any of us are doing. That doesn’t represent subjective judgment like you are alluding to. As a matter of fact, I readily acknowledge when I make a subjective ‘I like’ statement.

OK, more than a page and I have only responded to one post. Get comfortable folks!! ;)

OK, on to Barn……………

Especially when a good double team action can really bury Mr. Kidds!!!
Bring it on pal/s. My ship has come in over the horizon. The Pirate :cool:, Captain ;), and HF :smooth: have shown up for the smack down tag team match ;).
EPCOT is not less of anything! Different!! Very, very different, but certainly not less!!
Do we need to join in with Snacky and issue subjective opinion alerts? Sure, it is as big as MK, sure it has as many rides………..well, no it doesn’t. It is innovative (but so is AK). But other than that………I won’t go subjective, but let’s just say Epcot is more to some and less to others – and we can say that objectively. After all, Epcot doesn’t have nearly the number of rides for kids as does the MK. One could say that, if the MK is the standard, parks should be measured up to the ratio of kids to adult rides and that ratio should be maintained. Nothing subjective about that – at least not any more subjective than your definition of standard. So, despite the fact that Epcot is objectively “less” in at least one way (and trust me – we could find more), I can accept Epcot as pure, unadulterated Disney. I can see it all, and evaluate accordingly, not clouded by what I have so made myself believe to be indisputable fact, things which are not necessarily facts at all.
A two day park, right from the opening bell!!
Combine this with your queen beds and 409 sq. ft. room and it becomes more and more apparent that the Pirate was not far off when he concluded that size is perhaps the most important factor in ‘Disney’ :rolleyes:.

Now for the LB self created oxymoron, which is not really an oxymoron at all and is subconsciously how the Baron really feels…………….
Can it still be a “Disney experience”? SURE!! Can we all have a different subjective outlook about the place? SURE!! But overall and very objectively it is – LESS!!
For arguments sake let’s agree that MGM is less. Objectively it is less in some ways, but it is also more in others. After all, we can go back further than the MK and DL to truly define the Walt Standard. He endeavored to create a place that the whole family could enjoy together. That is very much realized in DL and the MK. It really is not, to anywhere near the same degree, in Epcot. That Standard is more apparent in MGM. However, the key in this quote is that you readily admit that something can be ‘less’ and still be a ‘Disney experience’ (and it is no coincidence that Baron didn’t use the trademark thingie ;)).
Ditto for the resorts!!
OH MY GOD!!! Why is it that you can’t remain OBJECTIVE!!! “IMHO”!!!
Note to Baron – read comments to Snacky above ;).

As for AK better than Epcot…. Well, objectively (or at least as objective as you are) the theme is better, more all encompassing, more ‘time and place’. It is an innovative take on a combination theme park/zoo (what was that someone said about overwhelmingly groundbreaking?) While it may be smaller and have less rides/shows/attractions, it has a better mix of rides/shows/attractions for the whole family to enjoy together – the whole reason Walt got into the theme park business in the first place. I could go on, but where AK is less, it makes up for it by being more in other ways. After all, a few people have said it is ok for something to be ‘less’ in some ways so long ‘more’ is given in others. AK certainly has grandeur. If you don’t agree with that at least agree that grandeur is in the eye of the beholder. AK doesn’t have scale, but I have said before – bigger is not always better.
In case you haven’t noticed, he’s a little bit dead!
So the clock stops and the World freezes and everything that is created that is not a rethemed version of what existed at time of death is off limits?
But we’re not talking about the ‘entire’ experience.
Well, that is sure where we started, and where we should be, but you are subjectively choosing which pieces of the dissected frog we can do a post mortem on :rolleyes:.

OK – what’s next?

SNACKY SUBJECTIVE ALERT, SNACKY SUBJECTIVE ALERT, SNACKY SUBJECTIVE ALERT.
The point is that Epcot is something that is on par with the Magic Kingdom.
In some ways yes, in other ways no. On the whole……., oh wait, we can’t look at it on the whole – we need to look at the objective nuts and bolts ;).
If they hadn’t opened so many hotels, they wouldn’t have tons of rooms to fill – rooms that CAN’T be filled, and in order to compensate for those unfilled rooms, they wouldn’t have had to jack up the rates. And that’s fact.
Fact :confused: Even if it were fact today, it wasn’t ten years ago. Furthermore, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the experience. Wait, YOUR experience is ruined because YOU decree, I mean think, that the resorts are ‘exorbitantly priced’ :rolleyes:.

Pirate…………
Maybe Mr. Kidds Or Mr. Horizon's Fan will want to respond to this further.
Hard to say more than you did. However, I did touch on it a bit ;).

Baron………………if this is how you are going to play, I am out :rolleyes:.
For them the Mods are the be all and end all. The definitive Disney experience.
But what I get is that the Mods are “the same” as the Poly!! Or that the Floridian is the Standard!!

I never said any of these things :rolleyes:. There is no be all, end all. There is a defining element, but not a definitive experience. YOU want to make it that way. Nothing is the ‘same’, everything is different. ‘Less’, ‘more’, ’same’, ‘different’, :crazy: they are all Disney. I throw out some hypotheticals to point out how someone could come to a mistaken conclusion (ie. GF) and you come back with this cra……garbage :rolleyes:.
Again, you may disagree with what they thought was important
No, perhaps disagree with the single set of those few things YOU chose as what they thought was important, while ignoring all the rest.
This sentence alone convinces me that you need a bit of education about the ‘good-old-days’.
Whatever would we do if we didn’t have the good-old-Baron to educate us? :crazy:

Wait……………now I see it!! Eureka!!! 12, not 10 dresser drawers and HDTV – that is what Disney should be today :rolleyes:.
However, this does leave you lacking. No matter how you slice it, you don’t have the perspective, or the experience, to truly KNOW. The best you can do is “deliberately contemplate” what it must have been like in the beginning of WDW.
And out cometh the true nature of the beast. The Disney superiority complex. The ‘I know and you don’t’ line of discussion and debate. Sheesh – I’d much rather stick to ‘I like/I don’t like’ stuff. At least it provides for interesting banter. You leave us without any real option for discussion :(.
Are you the one that tells me that Wings has “just as much” magic as the Beatles, only in a different way? Or that the excitement level of a Wings concert is “the same” as a Beatles concert?
Well, if you dissect it enough and look at how the cords are struck, and how the vocal cords reverberate, sure – it has just as much magic. Wait, can we not do that with music like we do with parks and resorts :confused: Furthermore, the added excitement of the Beatles concert had a whole lot less to do with the music itself than it did with the hysteria the music created. That hysteria can never be recreated, but quality music can still be produced.

At once, Baron is the man of fact and philosophy. Well, philosophy, by definition, is learning exclusive of technical precepts and practical arts, the analysis of the grounds of and concepts expressing fundamental beliefs, the theory underlying or regarding a sphere of activity or thought. Pretty subjective, huh? Fact has very little place in philosophy. Philosophy is very much interpretation and belief. Given that the sphere of activity you analyze ended 30+ years ago, you can keep your good old days. The world is a dynamic place my friend.

Nuf…………Nah, you can keep the line :wave:.

Originally posted by HorizonsFan
Because of my mom's illness, we had to reschedule our trip at the last minute and split our stay last summer.
For the first three nights of my trip, I had a Boardwalk view. It was amazing.
For the last seven nights of my trip, I had a Mansion room at POR. It was amazing.
I had an equally Disney experience at both resorts. I was in the orchestra for three nights and in the balcony for the rest of the stay, but the Show never waivered. (And I'm being as objective as I can possibly be while totally immersed in Disney magic!)

I'll pull a Baron..................

GREAT POST!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Nuff said!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter