An example of why children struggle with math...

LOL. I got a fruit cake recipe from my cousin who lives in Canada in an e-mail, and everything was in ounces. 40 years after their metric conversion, grocery stores there still list prices per pound for meat and produce.

when we were in canada this summer we noticed it varied store to store and remarked on it to one of the local residents. they complained that they wished it would just be consistent-one or the other or prominently displayed/advertised in both b/c they had multiple kids varying in ages and their local school district had waffled over the years on what system they taught in a given year.

Yeah....you're not getting it.
No I get it.

Tide is interchangeable using the term Pod to refer to the package and the item in the package. Tide is interchangeable using the term Pac to refer to the package and the item in the package.

I am saying that Tide is setting a bad example. The world runs on word problems and it is hard enough for kids to learn and understand if real world word problem solutions are presented so poorly.

Just like Nestle setting a bad example by presenting it in the format of an equation when it would be much better to just say:
72 oz the same as six 12 oz bags
vs
72 oz = 6 / 12 oz

The Nestle example is obviously incorrect. Should be "72 oz = 2.041 kg"

I was thinking Nestle was converting oz to pounds (6-1/2 lbs.) But, I knew the number was still incorrect. Then I noticed the / was in the wrong place for 6-1/2.

That's when I looked at the pic closer and realized the OP had snapped an incorrectly sized (cropped?) photo. He should have taken a wider shot showing the full sentence. Nestle is trying to show us that one LARGE bag (drawn out on the left,) is equal to 6 smaller bags (on the right.) Yet the photo only shows 2 whole bags and about a third each of two more bags. The photo is missing the full amount of 6 small bags on the right FOR CONTEXT.

The only thing I'd change is add a space after the / so one can read it better. OR I'd change the 6 to the word six.

Last edited:
I I must admit that where I now live (Switzerland), it took a bit not to flinch when seeing prices in kg (I lived in the US between Canada and here).
Switzerland is insanely expensive. The prices doubled or tripled once we crossed the border from Italy into Switzerland on a recent trip, taking into account the change in currency and exchange rate.

I am saying that Tide is setting a bad example. The world runs on word problems and it is hard enough for kids to learn and understand if real world word problem solutions are presented so poorly.
Sorry, with all due respect, it's not worth explaining in full detail especially given this statement

when we were in canada this summer we noticed it varied store to store and remarked on it to one of the local residents. they complained that they wished it would just be consistent-one or the other or prominently displayed/advertised in both b/c they had multiple kids varying in ages and their local school district had waffled over the years on what system they taught in a given year.
Interesting. I though metric was the only system taught in Canadian School since the late 1970s.

Sorry, with all due respect, it's not worth explaining in full detail especially given this statement
?

Tide in a bout of marketing stupidity is using PODS and PACS to refer to the same object and different objects at the same time.

If Tide sold apples they would package up 38 apples per bushel combining 4 bushels for a total of 152 bushels.

But how do they fit 152 Political Action Committees in the bag?

Don't be silly. With larger quantities they use plastic containers instead of bags.

Snack size bag.
04ab3510-780b-4bb7-a3ad-9040f98a1024_1.15cf74399b3c480a52c62b7058f56d63.jpeg

Family meal tub.
91H%2BFcaRb9L._SY355_.jpg

I like to eat them straight up. The Oreos weren't too tasty.

tide-podes-525x403.jpg

I always assumed the kids bad are math have parents to bad at math to help them.

Not always - math is my thing, but so not my DS's! I think a lot of whether you like it or not just depends on how you think - visually, verbally, etc.

But I definitely agree with you that sometimes it has to do with the parents. A lot of my teacher friends find that if the parents struggled with math, they automatically expect their kids to struggle with it, so they worry less about bad grades than they would in another subject.

Switzerland is insanely expensive. The prices doubled or tripled once we crossed the border from Italy into Switzerland on a recent trip, taking into account the change in currency and exchange rate.

Some things. Some things are pretty similar to where I lived in Canada/US - definitely the things tourists need/use tend to be more expensive. But, also, I'm now paid based on living here, so it isn't too bad.

Which is multiplication which uses x or * as the operator, not /.
None of these symbols or letters has just a single name or usage. Only ÷ means solely 'divided by'.
:confused3

6 - 12oz. pkgs. = 72oz.
Why is that wrong??
Hrre you are expecting "six minus twelve ounce packages equalling 72 ounces" - which is simply impossible.
And the photo cuts it off, but it seems to show one large bag on the left, and what I am guessing are 6 smaller bags on the right.
Yes. Visuals for persons who choose to misinterpret.

?

Tide in a bout of marketing stupidity is using PODS and PACS to refer to the same object and different objects at the same time.

If Tide sold apples they would package up 38 apples per bushel combining 4 bushels for a total of 152 bushels.
I doubt that kids are going to overthink it this thoroughly. It's not math, it isn't equations, it's just words and symbols.

Don't be silly. With larger quantities they use plastic containers instead of bags.

Snack size bag.
04ab3510-780b-4bb7-a3ad-9040f98a1024_1.15cf74399b3c480a52c62b7058f56d63.jpeg

Family meal tub.
91H%2BFcaRb9L._SY355_.jpg

I like to eat them straight up. The Oreos weren't too tasty.

tide-podes-525x403.jpg

I forgot. This is the Dis. All business, no play. No silly frivolity, or foolish comedy allowed.

Of course it also begs the question. How do they fit 152 political action committees in the "plastic containers?"

Hrre you are expecting "six minus twelve ounce packages equalling 72 ounces" - which is simply impossible.

Guess I'm so used to seeing large quantities broken down in smaller #'s if they also come in those sizes, that I take it at face value - has always made perfect sense to me. Can't understand anyone being confused by it, but----------

I doubt that kids are going to overthink it this thoroughly. It's not math, it isn't equations, it's just words and symbols.

You're correct!
How many children are going to be reading these type pkgs. for starters, so doubt it will confuse their math learning.

Here you are expecting "six minus twelve ounce packages equalling 72 ounces" - which is simply impossible.

Yes, it is really awkward to write "6 examples of the 12 ounce package" the way we actually say it: "6 (pause) 12 ounce packages". I've seen:

6 - 12 oz. packages
6, 12 oz. packages
6 / 12 oz. packages
(6) 12 oz. packages

I like the last one best, but none of them are perfect, and all could mean something else in the "math language".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter