An Amazing Alternative to Purchasing more DVC Points

As DVC moves towards becoming more like other timeshares, it's useful to examine the other timeshares.

I own a "poor-man's Marriott"- it's actually a non-branded timeshare that can trade into Marriotts with some extra flexibility. (But Marriotts have an internal preference period in II, so owning a Marriott gets you a lot more options.)

I purchased my nonDVC timeshare for $1 on ebay back around 2007. It's a 2BR with annual dues under $1000 that trades as 2 1BRs, so my effective maintenance fees for each trade are less than $500. (Now that DVC is back in II, I have even seen a couple of SSR 1BRs pop up as trades...I don't mind the $190 extra fee in that situation. )

On the down side, resale value is only $1 and it might take some time to sell...but I'm hoping to keep it for a few more decades of traveling at this point.
That would be my issue…the fact that when you want to sell, you’re forced to keep paying the dues, which are not insubstantial, until you can find someone you can basically give it to so they will assume the obligation.

My worry is that ownership in such a timeshare can be a money trap from which there is no escape. In my opinion, and believe me I’m no expert, it’s not a viable product without a viable exit strategy.

My worry is that ownership in such a timeshare can be a money trap from which there is no escape.
This is more than a little overdramatic.

But I do agree:

1) It is important to consider your exit plan. Measure twice (or three times) before making any timeshare commitment.

2) DVC and many Marriott weeks have easier disposal options than most non-branded timeshares.

But a more involved disposal option does not suddenly become impossible and hopeless because it's not as easy. The dues (for me) are quite insubstantial. There is a value that goes along with the obligation - I very much enjoyed staying in a Marriott oceanfront villa in Kauai for about $100 per night. You do need to do your homework - it's a mistake to jump into any financial commitment without it...but uninformed panic about the imagined risks is also pretty silly.

And I just want to check on one thing, when you do the Getaway weeks you aren‘t stuck having to attend a timeshare presentation are you?
If the resort asks you to attend a presentation, just say no thank you. It is not required that you attend but some may ask. I've been on getaways where they invited us and I've been on ones where they didn't.

This is more than a little overdramatic.

But I do agree:

1) It is important to consider your exit plan. Measure twice (or three times) before making any timeshare commitment.

2) DVC and many Marriott weeks have easier disposal options than most non-branded timeshares.

But a more involved disposal option does not suddenly become impossible and hopeless because it's not as easy. The dues (for me) are quite insubstantial. There is a value that goes along with the obligation - I very much enjoyed staying in a Marriott oceanfront villa in Kauai for about $100 per night. You do need to do your homework - it's a mistake to jump into any financial commitment without it...but uninformed panic about the imagined risks is also pretty silly.
I’m sorry for sounding so silly by expressing misgivings that are far from imagined regarding a product that is difficult to even give away when one wants to dispose of it. It only gives more credence to all those negative timeshare stereotypes, especially when imparted with such a condescending tone.

The actual amount of the dues is irrelevant. The fact that they represent on open ended, ongoing annual financial commitment which, in your own words, is “not as easy” to dispose of is a deal breaker. For me, a timeshare without a clear, easy and efficient exit strategy, with zero chance of actually getting back the money you put in, let alone see any appreciation, would be a timeshare to stay away from.

Last edited:

As an example, we bought Wyndham which gives us two weeks in a one bedroom annually. We can bank points and stay in a variety of villas up to 3 BR. We paid $1400 with all fees and closing. Our annual fees are about $1200. I suspect we will buy another contract when we find another deal.

We love our DVC, have AP's and plan to spend minimum six weeks every fall at WDW. When our family arrives we'll move over to DVC for a couple weeks. WBC is right around the corner from RIV and we bought for value and location. We can expand our stay without going broke and enjoy retirement!

I really appreciate your posting these videos. Thanks again.

I guess I'm a little worried about an exit strategy, too, since these contracts don't come with end dates like DVC. I wouldn't want to be saddled paying MFs when I'm in my 70s and 80s, and can't travel as often. There seems to be a glut of Marriott contracts in the resale market. I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to unload, even at an absurdly low price.

I really appreciate your posting these videos. Thanks again.

I guess I'm a little worried about an exit strategy, too, since these contracts don't come with end dates like DVC. I wouldn't want to be saddled paying MFs when I'm in my 70s and 80s, and can't travel as often. There seems to be a glut of Marriott contracts in the resale market. I'm just wondering how difficult it would be to unload, even at an absurdly low price.

Marriott does have a resale department to list your week(s) and also has a deed back option if it comes to that.

I’m sorry for sounding so silly by expressing misgivings that are far from imagined regarding a product that is difficult to even give away when one wants to dispose of it. It only gives more credence to all those negative timeshare stereotypes, especially when imparted with such a condescending tone.

The actual amount of the dues is irrelevant. The fact that they represent on open ended, ongoing annual financial commitment which, in your own words, is “not as easy” to dispose of is a deal breaker. For me, a timeshare without a clear, easy and efficient exit strategy, with zero chance of actually getting back the money you put in, let alone see any appreciation, would be a timeshare to stay away from.
The world of the internet is one dramatic place...

Asking someone reasonable, basic questions is creating a shortage of teachers!

Having misgivings about timeshare products that you admit you are not well versed in, because you worry about having an exit strategy means that you are jumping to an uninformed state of panic!

People love to project their insecurities onto others for one reason or another. You have received some truly ridiculous responses in this thread, my friend!

Having misgivings about timeshare products that you admit you are not well versed in, because you worry about having an exit strategy means that you are jumping to an uninformed state of panic!

People love to project their insecurities onto others for one reason or another. You have received some truly ridiculous responses in this thread, my friend!
Strange thread indeed. I haven't looked into and other timeshare systems in depth, but I do know there's a whole industry of companies that get paid to try and extract people out of TS contracts they can't get rid of. That alone tells me it's a flawed product. If I'm jumping to an uninformed conclusion, so be it. Not that it can't work great for some people, who never have an issue and love it.

Finally, a reasonable reaction...thank you! The fact that this thread's overblown title starts with "An Amazing Alternative...", followed by a request to watch 90 minutes worth of very dry videos because relatively simple questions cannot be answered otherwise, just seems inappropriate here. I feel like I'm witnessing a typical timeshare sales tactic adapted for the Disboards. Also, I question the authenticity of the immediate responses from posters who were "BLOWN AWAY" by the information being presented.

Maybe the OP is just trying a novel strategy to get rid of their own non DVC timeshare!

Last edited:
That would be my issue…the fact that when you want to sell, you’re forced to keep paying the dues, which are not insubstantial, until you can find someone you can basically give it to so they will assume the obligation.

My worry is that ownership in such a timeshare can be a money trap from which there is no escape. In my opinion, and believe me I’m no expert, it’s not a viable product without a viable exit strategy.
That is exactly why I wouldn’t touch a Marriott timeshare. You hear all the horror stories of dues after you are dead……

That said, what was GOLD to me in this thread was the Getaways. I ran several scenarios last night. In one I compared a higher end very popular Marriott timeshare 2 bed unit on HHI to the rack rate on Marriott site. Rack rate was $2600 compared to the Getaway cost of around $750. I then ran some very sought after condos in Breckinridge over Thanksgiving and got 1 beds around $450 for the week. That is unheard of. I ran the week I will be staying at BLT in Aug against Cypress Harbor where we have stayed in the past. CH was $800 for the week. My DVC points were 196. There seems to be limited European options but I will for sure utilize the Getaway program for non Disney stays in the future.

That is exactly why I wouldn’t touch a Marriott timeshare. You hear all the horror stories of dues after you are dead……

That said, what was GOLD to me in this thread was the Getaways. I ran several scenarios last night. In one I compared a higher end very popular Marriott timeshare 2 bed unit on HHI to the rack rate on Marriott site. Rack rate was $2600 compared to the Getaway cost of around $750. I then ran some very sought after condos in Breckinridge over Thanksgiving and got 1 beds around $450 for the week. That is unheard of. I ran the week I will be staying at BLT in Aug against Cypress Harbor where we have stayed in the past. CH was $800 for the week. My DVC points were 196. There seems to be limited European options but I will for sure utilize the Getaway program for non Disney stays in the future.
Yes, it feels like the purpose of this particular thread is to sell the Getaways. But don't these also require the same elements we're all trying to avoid...never ending annual dues, zero resale value, no way out? It doesn't matter to me how cheap the Getaways are if they also come with all the hidden timeshare negatives we don't want.

Yes, it feels like the purpose of this particular thread is to sell the Getaways. But don't these also require the same elements we're all trying to avoid...never ending annual dues, zero resale value, no way out? It doesn't matter to me how cheap the Getaways are if they also come with all the hidden timeshare negatives we don't want.
Maybe I am misunderstanding but we have access to the Getaways as PART of our DVC - it’s under Interval International and they paid for the Gold Level membership for all DVC members. So, we have access to it without any additional dues or commitments. Its already a loaded benefit for us. I think that was her initial intent. To explain something we have access to that not many of us knew how to utilize.

I think where it all got muddled is the further explanations of how to buy Marriott and Wyndham. If you stop just at the how to use our II Getaway benefit than that is all the info I needed.

From my understanding all they are are cash stays of timeshares - no contract, no annual obligation.

Maybe I am misunderstanding but we have access to the Getaways as PART of our DVC - it’s under Interval International and they paid for the Gold Level membership for all DVC members. So, we have access to it without any additional dues or commitments. Its already a loaded benefit for us. I think that was her initial intent. To explain something we have access to that not many of us knew how to utilize.

I think where it all got muddled is the further explanations of how to buy Marriott and Wyndham. If you stop just at the how to use our II Getaway benefit than that is all the info I needed.
Ah. That makes more sense.

Thank you for posting these informative videos. I always like to hear about other options. And thank you especially for the Getaways piece that all current DVC owners already have access to and I didn't even know about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter