An Alphabetical, (Flower and) Garden Variety TR- V is for: Vida la Tucson! TR COMPLETE! (3/14)

Joining in! I'll be 75 when we visit in November after Thanksgiving. I walk 5 - 6 miles every day and take 2 cycling classes/week to stay in shape, but I'm not crazy about big crowds. Hopefully the parks won't be too crowded because of the 50th.

YAY!! So glad you're here, HUBIE!!

WHOA !! You do FAR more than I'd say probably MOST of us do here. :worship::worship::worship::worship:

I don't love the crowds either, but am happy to have them if it means things are normal again. The shutdowns and restrictions caused so much destruction and heartache- I'm afraid we have a very real mental health crisis on our hands now with our youth that I fear may be irreversible. I wish we could have the best of both worlds for sure, and I hope that Disney keeps the crowds to at least a manageable level for the 50th!! I tried to avoid my park reservations for MK on the actual 50th opting for bigger EPCOT and AK. I do have one for the 2nd for MK, but mostly only to pick up a pin if one's still available.

Or maybe they don't want us to have that capability because simple coding takes up less storage?
I have no idea. Either way... not thrilled with the result.
Got your PM and will take a look when I have a few minutes.

I have no idea. Either way... not thrilled with the result.
Got your PM and will take a look when I have a few minutes.
Thanks!! :D No rush; obviously I'm here for the long-haul and my signature isn't goi.... um, er...

Just a head's up I tried the link for this trip report from your other trip report and kept getting an error message. Now it could just be my computer but I tried about five times and kept getting the same error message. And now I hope my reports all work in my signature. I like to click on them at times to read when I am bored, especially the trips with my grandkids.

My SIL seems to be fine now. I am really angry with the treatment he got at this hospital AGAIN. I told my daughter next time he has an issue I am taking him to the hospital her sister works at. They are in the same system but have a much better reputation. They said this time it was insomnia and stress, then said maybe his blood sugars are to high, but they didn't think it was a stroke. When he was first admitted they wanted to give him TPA after the CT scan and couldn't because he's on blood thinners. They did the stroke protocol and he definitely showed some weakness and facial difference. My husband has had 2 strokes so I know what signs to look for. Thankfully he had an appointment already scheduled with his new neurologist for today so hopefully he will have some answers.

Just a head's up I tried the link for this trip report from your other trip report and kept getting an error message. Now it could just be my computer but I tried about five times and kept getting the same error message. And now I hope my reports all work in my signature. I like to click on them at times to read when I am bored, especially the trips with my grandkids.

I think it's fixed now!! Thanks for the heads up!! :)

I totally understand wanting to have access again! I would love to add all of my TRs from when my profile was All7OfUs I wrote several under that name and would love to go back and read them.

My SIL seems to be fine now. I am really angry with the treatment he got at this hospital AGAIN. I told my daughter next time he has an issue I am taking him to the hospital her sister works at. They are in the same system but have a much better reputation. They said this time it was insomnia and stress, then said maybe his blood sugars are to high, but they didn't think it was a stroke. When he was first admitted they wanted to give him TPA after the CT scan and couldn't because he's on blood thinners. They did the stroke protocol and he definitely showed some weakness and facial difference. My husband has had 2 strokes so I know what signs to look for. Thankfully he had an appointment already scheduled with his new neurologist for today so hopefully he will have some answers.

That's really too bad! Poor service, especially when dealing with one's health is the worst! Hope he gets the answers soon as "time is tissue"!

B is for: Believe Me, It Wasn't Fun!!

The day dawned bright and beautiful and on any other given, normal day, I’d have been chipper, full of excitement and travel-centered futterwacken. But today was, instead, filled with anxiety and a lot more than the usual amount of pre-trip panic. This was a trip of which it was far more important that I remembered everything and had my ducks in a row. And yet, even with the extra care and thought, I still managed in my usual fashion to screw a few things up. I will save you the suspense and let you know that my underwear somehow managed to make it safely in the belly of the plane. But let’s not rush this tale.

I was up fairly early because, while I was taking the Red-Eye connecting through Seattle, I had a few things I needed to do before I was taken to PDX. As you know, I’m moving to Bowling Green, KY in the first part of September. And while it’s still too soon to find a job, it’s not too early to get my Kentucky Nursing License. One of that steps that I had to do was be fingerprinted and get them sent in. I chose to do this process in-person, which meant it had to be done in Portland. I don’t get up there often because.... it’s Portland, so I timed this errand with Departure Day so as to minimize my exposure to this once-beautiful city. My appointment was at 12:30 and precisely then, I slowly, veeeeeeeeeeeerry, very slowly made my way into the office to be printed. I might add this was my very first driving at the 2-week mark when I was allowed to. EVERYTHING I did was slow and deliberate; EVERYTHING took me about twice as long as it normally would. The actual printing didn’t take long, except that I made my first doofus move and forgot that I was supposed to bring cash to pay. That added 30 minutes to my errand because I had to walk to the closest spot in the parking lot where I parked, drive to the bank and back again, walk all the way to the office on the 5th floor, and all the way back to the car again. Shoot me now. I had a very finite amount of energy in me and I was sapping it all with stupid stuff and not the actual travel.

That done, I drove the 15 minutes to my daughter’s house so that her boyfriend could drive me to the airport. You’d think I made it there with my crap intact, but nope. I shall not disappoint you, Dear Reader. I promptly left my sweatshirt/pillow in his car which necessitated a phone call to Kari to have her throw one in for me. He was really kind to drive me and we waved good-bye around 3:00. It was super early for my 6:20 PM flight, but that’s okay!! Remember it took me FOREVER to get anywhere. Luckily, the line at security was non-existent and the airport was a ghost-town. Definitely less ghost-towny than in January, but still very few people there. I was giddy! Because me and my walker had practically the entire place to ourselves. Security with a walker is surreal. A pre-check with the airline, then a thorough re-check with the Truly Sadistic Administration, and the most “exhilarating” pat down I’ve had in a while. Duly deemed safe <insert gigantic eyeroll here> to fly, I was free to "race" to my next destination.

So, what’s a girl to do with several hours ahead of her? Eat and drink of course. You didn’t think that was serious question, did you? I siddled on up to the only place open and ordered up a yummy mimosa flight and a breakfast sandwich which was, for airport food, not all that bad.

Best part? My comfy chair with a view! I spent over an hour in there with my feet up and couldn’t have been any happier.

Here's to you, Upcoming Recovery Trip!!

The fact that a glass of wine was ordered may or may not have had something to do with that. I ordered this one in particular protest over my lost Italy trip and my time in Puglia. I’m not even a little bit bitter.

Alright, fine, just a smidge.

Obviously, I made it to the gate with over an hour to spare so did some reading and surfing. I plugged my phone in too because not all aircraft have the chargers; I learned that the hard way on my return trip in January. Eventually, we boarded, and I was able to just get settled in before we landed. It’s only like a 40-minute flight, so up and down with just enough time for a cookie and… what’s this?! I admit, I have never seen water in a carton. It doesn’t take much to amuse me. It also sufficed to get that suffocating mask off for a short bit too.

With a ton of help from my fellow passengers, I retrieved my camera bag from the overhead bin and my purse from under the seat and headed to baggage after waiting too long for my walker. Seriously, 5 minutes was bordering on too long. I was in excruciating pain by then and was starting to seriously question this entire trip altogether. I am a nurse and honestly I was doubting my wisdom in this entire affair.

Luckily, the gate wasn’t too terribly far, and yet the next gate over would have been too far. Heh. I remember I had to go down an elevator, through some long halls, all the way to some other terminal, and I literally know for a fact I could not have done with it without that walker. I used it to put my stuff on (it had that seat on it) and I slowly, with baby steps, made my way there. Thank Goodness I had 3 hours to get there. It took me 30 minutes. When I got to my gate area, I was toast. I took the opportunity to text Kari to let her know I’d made it and she replied with an “I’ll see you there (at the gate).” I think I forgot to mention we were both taking the same Red Eye from there to MCO and Marcia, not wanting a night flight, flew the next morning on the PDX-MCO non-stop. With that I took up some real estate on the floor because I simply had to get horizontal. Ish. Since I couldn’t, I did the best I could with my purse as a horrible substitute pillow. And didn’t sleep one second.

When Kari made it there, we headed to our gate and chatted a short bit before we boarded. She also gave me the sweatshirt she’d tucked in for me. My gratitude was as immense as Snow White's was for her wake-up kiss. #leavethestoryalone We were seated pretty far apart, in fact, I was that classless friend relegated to the peon section, while Miss Hoity-toity laughed at me as I passed her in First Class. Oh wait, no she didn’t, I got to board first since I was Miss Hobbly-Wobbly!!! Eat my dust, Lady! With the walker checked at the gate, I found my seat and settled in for the 5 ½-hour flight and all I can say is Benedryl is a life-saver. Literally, and in this case, figuratively. I did in fact, sleep a fair portion of the trip. When I woke up, I went to plug in my phone to the portable charger you saw earlier and well… I couldn’t. Know why? Cuz it was still plugged in Seattle or in some new owner’s hot little hands on its way to Philly or New York or Mumbai. D’oh!!!! If you're counting, this is Doofus Move #3 and I wasn't even there yet.

Because the Jetstream God’s smiled on us, we arrived about 30 minutes early. And that, My Friends, got us to MCO bright and early around 6:00 AM.

Next up: Can I Go to Bed Now?

Last edited:
Props to you for making the trip at all only a few weeks after surgery!

I was waiting for your forgetfulness to rear it’s head, :rotfl:

The mimosa flight, wine, and breakfast sandwich looks really good for an airport. Our normal very busy airport was dead in April and so busy in June, wow what a difference in 2 months!

Yay to Kari for bringing a sweatshirt and blanket for you!
I think it is so funny how airlines close that mesh curtain thing between us low life’s and First Class, really what does that do. :confused3

Boo to forgetting your charger in the airport. Well at least you have not forgotten anything that is absolutely essential like PAIN MEDS!!

Wow, what do you do when you arrive that early and the room isn’t ready? I would be so ready to take a nap!! Waiting to hear if you were able to get in a room early!

Oh wow! Great job on what you did accomplish! I know what it is like traveling shortly after surgery (mine was knee surgery and thankfully only going to visit family -not sure I could have done WDW!) And traveling with the walker (or more appropriately the Rollator...yes learned that from PT and docs) has advantages and disadvantages. But once you get the routine down, it is fairly nice. I make sure my friendly airline personnel know I am waiting on that when exiting, and just be ready to go when they tell me it is there. But boy having a place to put things and roll anything you are carrying on, is fabulous!

Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures!

Lynn

I might add this was my very first driving at the 2-week mark when I was allowed to. EVERYTHING I did was slow and deliberate; EVERYTHING took me about twice as long as it normally would. The actual printing didn’t take long, except that I made my first doofus move and forgot that I was supposed to bring cash to pay. That added 30 minutes to my errand because I had to walk to the closest spot in the parking lot where I parked, drive to the bank and back again, walk all the way to the office on the 5th floor, and all the way back to the car again. Shoot me now. I had a very finite amount of energy in me and I was sapping it all with stupid stuff and not the actual travel.
I cannot believe you did all this two weeks post surgery!
So, what’s a girl to do with several hours ahead of her? Eat and drink of course. You didn’t think that was serious question, did you? I siddled on up to the only place open and ordered up a yummy mimosa flight and a breakfast sandwich which was, for airport food, not all that bad.
That looks delicious!
Here's to you, Upcoming Recovery Trip!!
Cheers! 587316
With a ton of help from my fellow passengers, I retrieved my camera bag from the overhead bin and my purse from under the seat and headed to baggage after waiting too long for my walker. Seriously, 5 minutes was bordering on too long. I was in excruciating pain by then and was starting to seriously question this entire trip altogether. I am a nurse and honestly was doubting my wisdom in this whole affair.
Poor you! What an ordeal!
I used it to put my stuff on (it had that seat on it) and I slowly with baby steps made my way there. Thank Goodness I had 3 hours to get there. It took me 30 minutes. When I got to my gate area, I was toast. I took the opportunity to text Kari to let her know I’d made it and she replied with an “I’ll see you there (at the gate).” I think I forgot to mention we were both taking the same Red Eye from there to MCO and Marcia, not wanting a night flight, flew the next morning on the PDX-MCO non-stop. With that I took up some real estate on the floor because I simply had to get horizontal. Ish. Since I couldn’t, I did the best I could with my purse as a horrible substitute pillow. And didn’t sleep one second.
Honestly I have no idea how you managed it all!
With the walker checked at the gate, I found my seat and settled in for the 5 ½-hour flight and all I can say is Benedryl is a life-saver. Literally, and in this case, figuratively. I did in fact, sleep a fair portion of the trip. When I woke up, I went to plug in my phone to the portable charger you saw earlier and well… I couldn’t. Know why? Cuz it was still plugged in Seattle or in some new owner’s hot little hands on its way to Philly or New York or Mumbai. D’oh!!!! If you're counting, this is Doofus Move #3 and I wasn't even there yet.
Oh no!
🥂

Props to you for making the trip at all only a few weeks after surgery!

It was suffer here, or suffer there. I chose palm trees and Disney snacks.
I was waiting for your forgetfulness to rear it’s head, :rotfl:

Always provides for some entertainment. LOL!
The mimosa flight, wine, and breakfast sandwich looks really good for an airport. Our normal very busy airport was dead in April and so busy in June, wow what a difference in 2 months!

The difference was insane! People are absolutely travel-starved.
Yay to Kari for bringing a sweatshirt and blanket for you!

She's a peach!!
I think it is so funny how airlines close that mesh curtain thing between us low life’s and First Class, really what does that do. :confused3

I'm not sure what the rationale is behind that other than to create a bit of exclusivity. I've flown first class once, and honestly, I never even noticed or looked back! Strange to me too.
Boo to forgetting your charger in the airport. Well at least you have not forgotten anything that is absolutely essential like PAIN MEDS!!

Welll..... about that.

Wow, what do you do when you arrive that early and the room isn’t ready? I would be so ready to take a nap!! Waiting to hear if you were able to get in a room early!
I have surprises in store!!! ;) Good things happened!

Oh wow! Great job on what you did accomplish!

Thanks! Having the BSN will certainly make a difference in the job hunt!

I know what it is like traveling shortly after surgery (mine was knee surgery and thankfully only going to visit family -not sure I could have done WDW!)

It's not for everyone and I was glad I could get away. My mom has gone through several knee replacement surgeries and its no joke. But Disney was very accommodating in every way and if one needs to get away, it's a great place!

And traveling with the walker (or more appropriately the Rollator...yes learned that from PT and docs) has advantages and disadvantages.
I did not KNOW that! WE have one just like it at work too, so I'll toss that one out. LOL!! I love it because so many of our patients get light-headed on their first walk and we can quickly sit them down on the seat and treat them. It's saved us from MANY patient falls.

But once you get the routine down, it is fairly nice. I make sure my friendly airline personnel know I am waiting on that when exiting, and just be ready to go when they tell me it is there. But boy having a place to put things and roll anything you are carrying on, is fabulous!

It absolutely was. There was ZERO way I could carry my stuff, especially the heavy camera bag. Plus when waiting around I could use it to sit on.

Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures!

A whole alphabet of fun (and not so fun) times coming up!!

I cannot believe you did all this two weeks post surgery!

I knew that if I could just GET there, I would be in great shape. But the first day and a bit of the next was well, simply hellish. I knew going in the travel part would be hard, nearly impossible in fact, but I just took it all slow and it ended up being okay.
That looks delicious!
For airport food, not bad!! I've had far, far worse!
Poor you! What an ordeal!

Of my own making...
Honestly I have no idea how you managed it all!
Looking back, I don't either. I was just very determined to GET somewhere else and not waste the 2 weeks of time off I had. PTO for the win!!

I'm here, even if I'm on page 3! (And we shall see how much more I actually chime in, as I go back to lurker mode). And yes, you can add me to the list of people who are incredibly impressed that you managed this trip at all!

I'm here, even if I'm on page 3! (And we shall see how much more I actually chime in, as I go back to lurker mode). And yes, you can add me to the list of people who are incredibly impressed that you managed this trip at all!
Hey There!

There is no "late" time to join in! We're just getting started with loads to come. :) I hope you DO chime in often! The pain continues, no surprise there, but we'll see how it impacts every aspect of this trip.

Hi, Liesa!!

I’m single with 5 great “kids” from 19-30, which makes me old as dirt. Oddly, I feel pretty good despite that and, while physically it hurts to get out of bed most mornings, I am on-top-of-my-game professionally and mentally.

And you look fabulous!

I rented a scooter!!! SAVED. MY. LIFE!

Mine too!

Most importantly, I wanted to see what my Covid overtime paid for. Suffice to say, I can’t wait to enjoy my Winter Digs! Marcia and I spent 3 nights at the Casino del Sol Resort only because it is near the RV park and is easy access to the airport as well. Loads of stories from this portion, so I hope you’ll stick around for that.

So do you drive this around?

I will save you the suspense and let you know that my underwear somehow managed to make it safely in the belly of the plane.

Phew…I was worried for a sec!

I had a very finite amount of energy in me and I was sapping it all with stupid stuff and not the actual travel.

I don't know how you did it 2 weeks post-op. I barely managed at 4 weeks :sad2:

was starting to seriously question this entire trip altogether. I am a nurse and honestly was doubting my wisdom in this whole affair.

Exactly. See comment above.

I went to plug in my phone to the portable charger you saw earlier and well… I couldn’t. Know why? Cuz it was still plugged in Seattle

Oh, no!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter