Amtrak train info w/pics!All Aboard-Choo-choo!UPDATED

Posted this on it's own thread with no replies yet so I figured I would ask here as well.
Wondering if anyone has experience with the long distance coach seats compared to the roomettes? We are planning on going to Disney next year with 4 adults. I happened to see a video of the coach seats on the long distance train and they do look pretty roomy. I was wondering how the roomettes were with 2 adults in each. Are the seats as comfortable as the coach seats or do you feel more boxed in?
One plus is the privacy but I was also interested in the comfort level.

The coach seats are probably a little more comfortable but I would never give up the privacy or the beds in the roomettes. I've done both-Ohio to Florida- and I will only get a roomette or a bedroom. It is a long ride, especially if you are listenening to the woman talking constantly and loudly on her cell phone for hours or being kept awake by the man across the aisle who snores all night long!

Posted this on it's own thread with no replies yet so I figured I would ask here as well.
Wondering if anyone has experience with the long distance coach seats compared to the roomettes? We are planning on going to Disney next year with 4 adults. I happened to see a video of the coach seats on the long distance train and they do look pretty roomy. I was wondering how the roomettes were with 2 adults in each. Are the seats as comfortable as the coach seats or do you feel more boxed in?

I have done coach overnight and a bedroom overnight. I would not likely do coach overnight again. On the way down, it was quiet enough but we got to FLorida feeling grimy and unrested. Being in a bedroom on the next trip, we were able to shower and get more rest and hit the parks running in the afternoon.

On the way back in coach, we were on a soldout autotrain with all the snowbirds. There was a group of birds on one side of us who chatted very loudly on and off ALL night, and a group of birds on the other side loudly telling the other group to stop talking and getting very agitated all night and calling in the car attendant to referee. Throw in a couple of very loud snorers and it was not a fun or relaxing night.

Definitely go roommette if the budget allows!

Does anyone happen to know the general car layout of the train from NY to Florida - 91 Silver Star and 97 Silver Meteor? I was wondering what order the cars are in. I believe you'll have the engine first but then what order are they in? Coach, dining then sleeper?

The order varies, it is either engine, baggage car, sleepers, lounge, dinning, coach, or engine, baggage car, coach, lounge, dinning, sleepers.

I saw a mention on an Amtrak message board that the sleepers are in the front during the spring, summer and fall, and in the back in the winter, but I can't confirm that that is always the case.

Has anyone taken coach seats from NYC to Orlando? I would much rather take a roomette, but with a kind of short notice trip with a friend it would be much cheaper just taking the coach seats the whole way. Are there any differences in the coach seats on this train from regular coach seats such as are they a little bigger or recline more being a longer trip? I saw a video showing coach seats and they looked like they had a lot more leg room then the coach seats from Albany, NY to NYC but it didn't say what train. Anyone have anymore info or what your experience taking coach for such a long trip? Thanks!

We've taken the train many of times from DC to Kissimmee....we usually do coach, there's plenty of room around the pair of seats, recline fairly decent with a pull up leg rest....the high backed seats around you make it seem secluded other than the pair across the aisle... We like coach...

On the other hand', we have done sleepers, roomettes only... We never ore book but ask once on board if any are available, and sometimes get a reduced rate if any are left.... I'm not a big fan of roomettes, they are small, real small and the upper bunk is a chore to get up to...it can be a tad claustrophobic in there... same for the car, roomettes down both sides make the walking center aisle very small... 2 people can not pass unless one ducks into an empty roomettes...

Being that claustrophobic, I just prefer all the area and room in the coach car, ear plugs, eye shades cures most problems... We bring a picnic, with drinks.... We don't wander or visit the club car together, one if us stays at our seats while the other May go for food or drink... Don't want to leave our cartons and personal stuff alone...

See my post here:
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50511535&postcount=805

YouTube link to tours of a roommette and also a link showing photos of coach.

Thank you GetGlowing. Your video was perfect. I believe my son and his girlfriend will have plenty of room.

No lounge in Newark, sorry you're stuck waiting with the coach passengers and the commuters. Newark Penn Station isn't that bad. Now Broad Street Station, that's a different story.

Do you mind if I ask why you're not going into Manhattan? When we took the train to DC it was the same price NYP or NWK. From here NJTransit train is the same price to either Newark Penn or NY Penn too.

Thank you for your help.
We live in Staten Island so the drive is much more easy and quicker to Newark than midtown, espeically during the week.

Is taxi the best way to get to WDW from the Kissimmee Train station, and If so are there taxi's around the station or courtesy phones to call them? First time traveling on Amtrak. Also it seems like going into Kissimmee is shorter distance to WDW is this correct?

Is taxi the best way to get to WDW from the Kissimmee Train station, and If so are there taxi's around the station or courtesy phones to call them? First time traveling on Amtrak. Also it seems like going into Kissimmee is shorter distance to WDW is this correct?

We always get off at the Orlando station for WDW and it seems most Disney folks do. I must say that the station in Orlando is not owned by Amtrak and in serious need of some TLC. There are always shuttles at the Orlando station waiting (white vans) to pick people up. We have never had issues catching one. A few years ago, Amtrak was getting a lot of complaints about taxi's over-charging to get from the station to Disney, so the taxi's, have to sit further away now. When the train pulls up there are always shuttle's backed up with drivers waiting. At least that has been our experience.

We always get off at the Orlando station for WDW and it seems most Disney folks do. I must say that the station in Orlando is not owned by Amtrak and in serious need of some TLC. There are always shuttles at the Orlando station waiting (white vans) to pick people up. We have never had issues catching one. A few years ago, Amtrak was getting a lot of complaints about taxi's over-charging to get from the station to Disney, so the taxi's, have to sit further away now. When the train pulls up there are always shuttle's backed up with drivers waiting. At least that has been our experience.

The shuttles that are waiting do you need to make reservations for, or do you pay at the time to get on or at the time when you get off?

Kissimmee is closer so the cab fares are cheaper. There were taxis waiting there when we got off the train. I can't remember exactly how much we paid but it was cheaper than when we took a taxi from Orlando.

We use Kissimmee. It's small, quiet, much less chaotic than Orlando. Yes, there will be taxis waiting.

A friend usually picks us up at the station, but last time I was there I talked with one of the cab drivers. When I told her I was a TA, we talked at length about the cabs there, fares, etc. At that time, her cost was around $50. Be sure to ask so there are no surprises. She told me that at Kissimmee you have to look out for unlicensed cabs. Make sure they have meters, and ask to see a license if it's not visible in the cab. You could pay a flat rate or metered fare.

I'm not saying that to frighten you, but most people who go to Disney don't use cabs on a regular basis and don't know what to look out for.

It looks like you can reserve a Mears taxi to meet you there, too.
http://www.mearstransportation.com/taxi-services/ or they have an app you can download. The nice thing about a train is you can call from the train to make your reservation when you are an hour or so out. Use the Amtrak app to keep an eye on your estimated arrival time, because it can change.

It is closer but the orlando station has hertz car rental right in the station. I always get a rental car even when staying on property because i dont like to be stuck in just disney and i am not a fan of buses so we just drive. But if you are looking to rent a car then orlando station is the place to go.

Why would you take the train? I just looked and for the 3 of us to take the train from Albany to Orlando is over $1000 and that's with a military discount. I would fly for that price and cheaper or just drive. It just seems too expensive for me.

Why would you take the train? I just looked and for the 3 of us to take the train from Albany to Orlando is over $1000 and that's with a military discount. I would fly for that price and cheaper or just drive. It just seems too expensive for me.

Some people do not care to fly.

I originally took the train because at the time I was afraid of flying. And after taking the train, I love it. I'm excited about taking it now and feel like it's part of a trip, or a trip within itself. I find it to be a lot of fun. If I'm able to afford it, I'll take it. This coming trip with just a friend, we may fly down but take the train back just to save a little.

I originally took the train because at the time I was afraid of flying. And after taking the train, I love it. I'm excited about taking it now and feel like it's part of a trip, or a trip within itself. I find it to be a lot of fun. If I'm able to afford it, I'll take it. This coming trip with just a friend, we may fly down but take the train back just to save a little.

I agree. We always take a roomette, and I enjoy the time with my family and like the "down" time. I got the Amtrak cc and haven't paid for a trip since. Everything goes on the card which gives me points for the train.

I agree. We always take a roomette, and I enjoy the time with my family and like the "down" time. I got the Amtrak cc and haven't paid for a trip since. Everything goes on the card which gives me points for the train.

My mom has the card as well and we got a bedroom one way with the points, it was very nice. Next year we are trying the roomette's when we go down with my brother and his girlfriend. They wanted to try the train after we enjoyed it. Thinking about getting the cc soon as well. It's such a nice way to travel and the cc is such a great idea.

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help me here. My DD and I are thinking about a spur of the moment trip to WDW. If we take the train from Penn station how much luggage are you allowed o check in? Also will there be room in a roomette for a roll on bag. It's about 20inches.

I have a few more questions:) How early do they recommend you get to the train station in NY and are there redcaps near the amtrak lounge to take your bags. Should the bags be locked?

Once we're in Florida where do you suggest we get off~~in Orlando or Kissimmee?

Our off site timeshare is 1 mile form the entrance to Disney on Rt 192.

Are there shared shuttles that will be waiting or is there taxi service. Do we have to make advance reservations?
What would be the cost for a taxi from either station Vs. a shuttle.

So sorry for all the questions. We usually drive with my DH but he can't get the time off so this will be a girls only trip.

Thank You for your help

Liz:)

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter