DSCF5372.jpg

sports arena-do you know it??
DSCF5375.jpg

power plant-this place was BIG
DSCF5324.jpg

"I see the Washington Monument!"
DSCF5328.jpg

Breakfast is served

Okay I think you are the perfect person to answer some questions for me. We would be taking the train from Pittsburgh to Disney. I have heard that Kissemee is the best station?

We were looking at the price difference and really can't decide whether we will need roomettes. It is me and my 2 children(7 and 9). My friend has 3 children so there are 4 of them. Do you know if they would let me and my 2 kids in one roomette? After the beds fold down is there anywhere to sit for a third person?

And as for meal prices. How much approximately is the food? And for your included meals do you get 1 breakfast, one lunch and one dinner?

I was also wondering. How many places are there in the train to walk around to? Are you pretty much restricted to your seat?

Thanks so much
Lori

That arena (if that picture was taken in NJ) is the new soccer stadium. It kinda looks like the nest from the Beijing olympics.

Lisa, thanks for the report. I'll be taking a sleeper this time around. Last time I went coach. Thanks for the pictures! I didn't mind taking Amtrak to FL as I really HATE to fly.

I'm pretty sure that they will not let you stay in a roomette with two children (maybe if one was an infant) and there really is no place for the third person except to sit on a bed (or the potty lid)-and the beds are really too narrow even for two small people to share. They do have family rooms, although they are more expensive.

You may not be able to hang out in coach if the train is booked, but you can sit in the club/observation car.

If you book a roomette can you still sit in regular seats too?

No, but the Roomette by day has two facing seats; The seats fold flat at night to make the lower bunk. You can always sit in the lounge car, of course.

there really is no place for the third person except to sit on a bed (or the potty lid)

Roomettes in Superliner passenger cars, such as used on Auto-Train, do not have restroom facilities within the compartment. There is a (tiny) restroom on the upper level near the stairs, and larger restrooms (and shower) downstairs. Roomettes in Viewliner sleepers, such as found on the other Florida trains, do have an unshielded toilet in the room.

When considering how many people you want in a room, you have to realize just how small that roomette is (best description I ever heard was 'a room the size of a twin bed'). For four persons the Family Bedroom is clearly the way to go. With yourself and two small children you could probably live with a deluxe bedroom.

Lori-lots of good questions!
The answer on the 3 of you in a roomette would be no.As previous poster mentioned there is no room.Once beds are folded down you only have the beds (and the crapper cover!) to sit on.Even if you wanted to try the reservation will not let you.For your group you would need 4 roomettes EACH WAY.Book early!As I posted we paid a TOTAL $2402.00 for 3 adults and 1 child with 2 roomettes each way.

For the food,yes 3 meals can be eaten a day BUT you may not hit the timing that way.For us,we had lunch and dinner on the way down and breakfast and lunch and I think we made dinner too.All depends on your times for boarding.Obviously if you board at about 3:30 you have missed breakfast and lunch for that day.The menu can be seen on their site.I just looked and breakfast and lunch range from $6-$9, dinner $12-$22.

Kiss. is a great(and less crowded stop) on the train route IF you are not renting a car.The Hertz rental desk is at the Orlando train station so plan according to your needs.I got a great rate from them and had no problems.Was in and out in about 10 minutes!

As for walking around, there are lounge cars and such but we rarely leave our room car other than to head to the dining car.
:wizard:

Thank you for all the wondeful answers. I guess a roomette will be out of the question for us. I can't picture leaving a 9 and 7 year old alone in a bedroom while I am elsewhere. Unfortunately the train rout I was looking at only offered roomettes and bedrooms which also said they are for 2 adults. No family rooms were listed as available. My friend will be a party of 4 so she would need two roomettes if she decided to get them but that cost will be well over the cost for Disney!
We will not be renting a car. Most likely just needing a taxi to get us to Disney

Thanks again
Lori

Total cost for transport for 4 by amtrak(with roomettes)=$2402.00
Total cost of 12 days at Disney hotel(Carr Beach),10 day passes to parks X's 4 people=$2566.33

Craziness!But what can I do if we don't fly:confused3
The trip was PRICELESS and worth every penny.

Thank you for all the wondeful answers. I guess a roomette will be out of the question for us. I can't picture leaving a 9 and 7 year old alone in a bedroom while I am elsewhere. Unfortunately the train rout I was looking at only offered roomettes and bedrooms which also said they are for 2 adults. No family rooms were listed as available. My friend will be a party of 4 so she would need two roomettes if she decided to get them but that cost will be well over the cost for Disney

A bedroom will accommodate one adult and two small children. Family bedrooms are only found on Superliner equipped trains (including Auto-Train); To book four persons into a Viewliner sleeper on the other Florida trains, you would need either two Roomettes (each accommodating two people) or a bedroom suite (very, very, very expensive, but also the roomiest accommodations on the train).

Lori-if your fear of being somewhere else on the train is stopping you-worry not! I had my girls ages 5 and 17 in the other room! Let me explain-the rooms are about 28 inches apart!!! You would book the two rooms across from each other.That's what we do_Only the width of the aisle is between you.We left the rooms doors open to see each other 90% of the time.We talked and passed items and all worked fine.Once the little one was asleep we closed the door.You would hear if anyone opened it(not to panic you here because that would only be a crazy worst case).There are also curtains you can pull across your doorways if you don't wish to close the doors.You could then hear them easily.I would say have the smallest one with you and the older one across from you.He would be asleep and tell him if he woke up he could just call for you and you would come to him.

what am I missing?

Did someone say almost 2500 dollars for 3 adults and 1 child???

I just priced out the auto train from VA to FL for 6 of us (2 adults and 4 kids) AND our oversized SUV and it would cost 950 dollars round trip!!!!!! Granted that's not including a room but still.............

so like I said, what am I missing?

what am I missing?

Did someone say almost 2500 dollars for 3 adults and 1 child???

I just priced out the auto train from VA to FL for 6 of us (2 adults and 4 kids) AND our oversized SUV and it would cost 950 dollars round trip!!!!!! Granted that's not including a room but still.............

so like I said, what am I missing?

You said it at the end-you are missing the room!!The cost of two roomettes down and two roomettes back is $1600 alone.Also, I am traveling from farther north than VA so that adds to our tickets too.

We love the train. We have done it twice, from albany NY to orlando, with a towncar pick up. Never got a room , we just sleep in the coach seats. And i maybe going west on the train all the way to montana in april, for that i may get a room.

for mama-I would recommend the 2 roomettes BUT be warned it is pricey.I listed the price here in the thread so be prepared.

Great Trip Report :thumbsup2 I have often considered traveling by train. I just visited amtrak website. For my upcoming trip in July, it would cost me $1053(526.50 each way). Last year my roundtrip airline tickets were $696 so I guess I am sticking with flying for now. I would really consider the train if the price was comparable.

I am so glad you enjoyed your trip! It looks like it was a wonderful adventure.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter