Amerisuites Vacation Club at Calypso Cay

kkleiner

Mouseketeer
We have stayed at the Calypso Cay resort twice in the past 2 years.

Each time we stayed in a 2 bedroom villa - once on an exchange and the
other on a 4 night 'vacation package'.

This resort is a timeshare resort that shares the property with 2 other
hotels - Amerisuites and Country Inn & Suites by Carlson.

There are 3 pools - 2 of them are cold standard pools but the 3rd one
is in a tropical 'area' and is zero depth entry, with a small pool slide.
The problem is that there is no lifeguard. Since almost everybody uses
the big pool, it is VERY crowded and not controlled. On more than one
occasion on both trips we witnessed teenage children jumping OFF of the slide into the water, kids going UP the slide (my son almost wiped a kid out when he was going down the slide) and kids going down 2-3 at once. Very dangerous for anybody in the pool. When we told the 'Amersuites' front desk, they told us to tell the chaperone - i.e. don't bother us, it's not our problem.

They have free mini golf which is nice, and gas grills in the pool area where
you can cook your own food, etc. There is also a tiki bar for poolside
food/drinks.

The Amerisuites hotel has a free breakfast, but only for those staying in
the hotel.

Onto the rooms : The 2 bedroom villas are nice (clean, spacious) but are
not soundproofed well at all. You can hear the people walking above you
quite easily (you might think they are elephants). The shades in the bedroom provide almost no relief from the lightpoles outside the buildings.
The bathrooms are huge, along with the closets. In the Runaway Bay part of the resort the master bath has a large tub, but the other Villa area has
a jaccuzzi tub in the master bath.

Each unit has a 'Windows Terminal Server' computer in it for internet access, but on both trips it was not working. Wireless access is available around the pool area.

We had to do a timeshare presentation for our recent trip, but it was
very easy after we said 'we don't want to buy anything, regardless of cost'.

We were told that there will soon be a 'villa owner only' pool area built with
a lazy river, but it is seriously delayed.

You can get on the Osceola Parkway in about 30 seconds from the resort, making trips to Disney very easy. There is also a super Walmart about 2 minutes from the complex.

The complex is not gated, meaning security isn't that great. BUT - The
Runaway Bay area is, as those villas share a space with long term apartment rentals.

All in all, I will not stay there again - it's too chaotic with the other
hotels and not well supervised.

Here are some pictures from both trips:
http://web.mac.com/ken_kleiner/iWeb/Site 2/Runaway Bay.html
http://homepage.mac.com/ken_kleiner/Disney2004/PhotoAlbum40.html

Thanks for that review KKleiner! We're booked to stay at Runaway Bay for 2 nights Memorial Day Weekend and then the next two nights at BCV as we are DVC members.

We're also doing a timeshare special. In fact we ended up with a great price (2 bedroom condo for a total of $59 for the two nights plus one park ticket!). We had originally requested a one bedroom but those were sold out so they're giving us the two bedroom for the same price.

My husband and I did a timeshare stay at the Marriott Grande Vista several years ago and it was quite nice. We're quite familiar with the timeshare drill and this was just too good a price to pass up!

Thanks for the tips on the pool activity. Our kids are 6 and 7 so we'll be watching them like vultures around the pool. Sounds like though not perfect, it should be fairly enjoyable for us.

We stayed at the Amerisuites portion of this property. I used Hyatt Reward Points to stay 3 nights at the Amerisuites. I have stayed at Amerisuites all over the country, and have loved each time. They are usually well kept, very clean and a great value for the business traveller.

Unfortunately that was not my impression of this hotel. The hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment. Our room's carpet looked as if it was installed 20 years ago. The furnishings were all showing lots of wear. I just didnt feel the room was ever cleaned. The beds were hard as bricks.

The breakfast was not on par with other Amerisuites...we only returned because the breakfast was free. There is no wired/wireless internet service in the Amerisuites building...only in the Country Inn and Suites and pool area.

At 2:30am one morning, my wife and I were awakened by our neighbor's amorous behavior....which really lasted a very long time. I had planned to congratulate the gentleman had I seen him in the hallway.

Even if free, I wouldnt stay at this hotel again. The only things this hotel had going for it is proximity to WDW and Wal-Mart

javaonline said:
Unfortunately that was not my impression of this hotel. The hotel is in desperate need of a refurbishment. Our room's carpet looked as if it was installed 20 years ago. The furnishings were all showing lots of wear. I just didnt feel the room was ever cleaned. The beds were hard as bricks.

The breakfast was not on par with other Amerisuites...we only returned because the breakfast was free. There is no wired/wireless internet service in the Amerisuites building...only in the Country Inn and Suites and pool area.

Even if free, I wouldnt stay at this hotel again. The only things this hotel had going for it is proximity to WDW and Wal-Mart

We were at Amerisuites for 5 nights over Sept/Oct and the place was deserted! We "won" it from Priceline for $36/night, and we felt it was worth that much, but not more. The room set-up was decent, and the kids enjoyed the breakfast. At least breakfast wasn't crowded! We were there over a weekend, and never saw more than 12 cars in the parking lot. The pool was also empty most of the time. We did find the water absolutely horrible! We've always been able to drink Orlando water and WDW water with no problem, but this was so bad, we even purchased bottled water for brushing our teeth! Did you have this problem? It even smelled horrible (like a very strong sulphur smell).

The bed was pretty bad. The side of the box springs was ripped, and you could lift it up and see right through it.

The place was so empty that it was almost spooky, and we wondered if we'd missed some major news report about something awful happenning there or something. :confused3

mareed said:
We were at Amerisuites for 5 nights over Sept/Oct and the place was deserted! We "won" it from Priceline for $36/night, and we felt it was worth that much, but not more. The room set-up was decent, and the kids enjoyed the breakfast. At least breakfast wasn't crowded! We were there over a weekend, and never saw more than 12 cars in the parking lot. The pool was also empty most of the time. We did find the water absolutely horrible! We've always been able to drink Orlando water and WDW water with no problem, but this was so bad, we even purchased bottled water for brushing our teeth! Did you have this problem? It even smelled horrible (like a very strong sulphur smell).

The bed was pretty bad. The side of the box springs was ripped, and you could lift it up and see right through it.

The place was so empty that it was almost spooky, and we wondered if we'd missed some major news report about something awful happenning there or something. :confused3

When we first checked in it was pretty empty....but Saturday/Sunday nights were full.

The water was awful. So bad that I think they used it to make their milk and juice from concentrate in their breakfast bar. I didnt taste any water in Orlando as bad as Amerisuites during our 8 days.

Looks like it might be one of the good timeshare presentations to go to. Doesn't look bad for the price. Thank you for the pictures---- it definetly looks like it has a tropical feel to it.

I just won it on expedia for $40 a night for next month. I hope it's not as bad as some of the reviews!

Gotta give props to Amerisuites Lake Buena Vista. They sent out a survey, and acted on it promptly and appropriately....here is their response...

On behalf of AmeriSuites at Calypso Cay Resort, please accept my sincere apology for the difficult and unpleasant experience you encountered during your visit to our hotel. You are a valued customer to us and we do appreciate your business.

It is very distressing to receive complaints concerning our hotel; however we appreciate having these concerns brought to our attention. As a result of your comments, we are better able to improve the service we provide. I would like to let you know that we are planning on renovation of our hotel in close future.

As an effort to restore your confidence in AmeriSuites and demonstrate our commitment to guest satisfaction, we are sending you certificate for one free night stay at our AmeriSuites. This certificate is valid for 12 months from date of issue.

Again, please accept our apology on behalf of our hotel and the entire brand. We sincerely hope your next stay at AmeriSuites is an enjoyable one.

Looks like a refurb is on the way soon!

The water problem is a Kissimmee one. My cousin who lives in Kissimmee told us not to drink the water because it would taste bad to us. When we took a shower the next morning (at Country Inn and Suites Calypso Cay) we too noticed a strong sulfur smell.

I agree with the statement that it should be gated to provide for security. I had to go to my car at night by myself and I was VERY uneasy. I just was very aware of my surroundings and was ready for a fight if I needed it. Unfortunately (at least at the Country inn and suites) the parking lot isn't very well lit if you get to the hotel later (after check in time...so like, after a day at the parks if you drive) and have to park away from the hotel toward the back of the lot. And there is some construction site or something that was adjacent to our hotel but it looked like an abandoned lot, there wasn't anything going on there....and it really added to the "run down" look of the area. I believe all the hotels in that complex need an upgrade or refurbishment. The Country Inn and Suites allows pets which I didn't know beforehand (not sure about the AmeriSuites). No offense to those pet lovers out there but our hotel had a funky smell the whole time we were there...not sure if it is the cleaning solution they used or a air "freshener" but it was pretty strong. The last day of our stay there our floor had a "liquid dog poop" smell.

I might stay there again for a VERY good price but I'm not certain. We actually thought the Amerisuites lobby looked better at least than the CI&S lobby and thought about transferring over but I guess they are all pretty much the same. The thing is that all the hotels in the area seem a bit run down, I really didn't see any super nice hotels and I think they are all hit or miss.

Oh but Walmart is even LESS than 2 minutes away, it actually is directly across Poinciana Blvd from Calypso Cay. So, instead of pulling out onto 535 you would pull out onto Poinciana Blvd and the Walmart entrance is right there. Close enough to walk to in fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter