American Restuarants - Portion Sizes

baldiepete

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

I have PS booked for Rainforest Cafe at AK and Tony's Town Square Restaurant at MK (both for lunch) for my trip next month. Looking at the various boards I've come across references to huge portion sizes at Rainforest Cafe and it has been mentioned that people have shared main courses. Anyone had any experience of this or could make any comment on the portion sizes at those restauarants ?? It would be unusual to share a meal in this country but American portions will be a lot larger than ours.

Thanks,

BaldiePete

we went to the Down Town Disney one and managed to eat a starter and main course (we both had the huge mixed grill). We couldn't manage a pudding though! The tequilas more than make up for doing without that:D

I didn't think that the portions were too big and were (to me) smaller than you get in other restaurants. Just go hungry!;)

I agree "go hungry" and each try different meals, there always doggy bags available :)

....... although we aren't used to it, it's quite common practice for people to share a meal between two in Disney restaurants if it is a particularly large portion e.g. my son (when aged 7) wanted the same thing as me, but neither of us wanted a large plateful and we asked the server if we could have one between two, knowing that the Americans often do this, and we were served just the right quantity.
Another thing I find that would be unusual here, is that people have the main course in one restaurant and dessert in another! (...... the Sci-fi diner in MGM is oten visited just for dessert, so that people can just experience the restaurant without eating the main courses, which are not that good...... although I'm sure not everyone agrees!

Hiya Pete,
I've never been to those particular restaurants but as ageneral rule the American portion sizes are huge compared to the eateries here e.g The Outback on the 192, we went there for supper one evening and we were all particularly famished(having done a park and gone back to hotel for a swim first)and ordered 2 starters between DH, myself and 2 DD's then when it came to our main course, we had ordered 2 kids meals and 2 chicken & steak platters and were truly flabbergasted at the huge servings, needless to say we never got as far as dessert and had our left overs to go(which was most of the main).

Other places we went to were The Brown Derby, Macdonalds, (Well you have to, don't you???LOL) Ponderosa, and a few of the Chinese places on 192 and I-drive.

Honestly Pete, even if you have a larger than average Scottish appetite (as we all have) you'll be hard pushed to do 3 courses in one sitting.

BTW, the idea of doing different restaurants for starter, main and dessert is a brilliant idea!!!
Hope this helps,
Luv Audrey
xxxxxxxxxx;)

Thanks everyone.

What I didn't say was that I'm 6 foot 3 inches tall and weigh 16.5 stones so I 've had plenty of practice at packing away lots of food :) That doesn't mean I want to stuff myself at lunchtime though. I'm usually more of an evening meal man but that doesn't always fit in with feeding DD.

I'll probably wimp out and go for sharing with DW - that way I'll be fit to get round the parks in the afternoon without a lie down :D

BaldiePete

The portions at Tony's are easily manageable, although the food isn't great, IMHO.

RFC does seem to serve up large meals. I've had salads there which, after I've had my fill, hardly look as though a dent has been made in them, and I had a pizza in December and managed about half of it. Having said that, I would describe the portions as generous rather than ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter