Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

I vote that we stop trying to convince those who are disappointed with SWGE to go and experience it. The more people who don't want to go because they've been robbed or don't think it's as magical as other things Imagineering has built have my full approval to stay away so I can enjoy SWGE with less crowds :rotfl:

Lord, that too. I swear, for a second I thought Jakku was Tatooine, and I was about to scream.

Luke says himself: "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that's farthest from." Shoot, it never even made much sense to me that Jabba's palace was on Tatooine. What's the galaxy's most notorious gangster (who clearly hails from a swamplike area) doing on an actual desert planet at the far end of the galaxy?

Lucas had basically stopped caring by the time Jedi came around, which is why there's such little character development, literal entire plots that go unresolved from the first two movies (especially Empire) and a lot of it feeling like a retread – the second Death Star included.

Last edited:
I'm a SW fan from 1977 and I can completely understand why they didn't want to use any locales from the movies. For one thing, it would be pretty much impossible to recreate places like Dagobah or Hoth. And Mos Eisley wasn't anything to look at, it was just a bunch of sun-bleached buildings. For another, those stories are done, over, completed. By creating a different space you're not limiting the guests to preformed interpretations. They can come up with their own narratives.

Plus this way Disney can adapt the land to other SW narratives as time goes on. Maybe eventually replace the First Order with something else. It can be tweaked and changed, something you can't do if the environment is from a specific time and place from the movies.

Land looks very cool and very detailed. Details will be more appreciated by people into Star Wars though. I like Star Wars but I’m not a die hard fan who’s wished to see these things in full form. I’m deff gonna check it out and enjoy it but it’ll say it again and again, this isn’t Disney to me. Star Wars, Marvel, none is what I think of when I hear the word Disney. Nor will they be the things that bring me back

That warm feeling you get thinking about Disney World. That magic kingdom feeling

Then again,. That’s just my opinion. Either way it’s in the perfect park for it to be in though.

Land looks very cool and very detailed. Details will be more appreciated by people into Star Wars though. I like Star Wars but I’m not a die hard fan who’s wished to see these things in full form. I’m deff gonna check it out and enjoy it but it’ll say it again and again, this isn’t Disney to me. Star Wars, Marvel, none is what I think of when I hear the word Disney. Nor will they be the things that bring me back

That warm feeling you get thinking about Disney World. That magic kingdom feeling

Then again,. That’s just my opinion. Either way it’s in the perfect park for it to be in though.
What about Pixar?

I feel completely the same. My boyfriend is way more excited than I am. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to go, but I'm more excited for the opening of Ratatouille and the Gondolas! :rotfl:

Star Wars and Marvel will never be "Disney" to me, but that's okay.

(why can't they build me the Coco Afterlife?)

I vote that we stop trying to convince those who are disappointed with SWGE to go and experience it. The more people who don't want to go because they've been robbed or don't think it's as magical as other things Imagineering has built have my full approval to stay away so I can enjoy SWGE with less crowds :rotfl:

I'll be there opening day, and many days to follow. And I am beyond thrilled that I have this land to explore for years to come. That doesn't mean I have to think Disney lived up the potential of what it could have been.

This is the last I'll say on this because I don't want it to seem like I'm being negative or trying to hate on Disney and rile people up. I just really don't understand the echoing of the "you can live your own adventure" or "if they created it like the movies, that's those characters adventure, not yours." Is ANYONE outside of these boards really thinking that way? Why can't I have my own adventure in the same location Luke or Han did? Of course I can. And again, I just don't think more than 5% of people going in there are actually running around living out their own movie in their heads. And if they are, they are likely children and I don't think they'd feel bound in their creativity because they are somewhere they've seen before, or be confused as to why THEY would be piloting the Falcon. Because it's a ride and you're at Disney.

To me, it's just taking it too far and too literal. I'd say I'm in the minority in that I actually really love Toy Story Land. It's one of my favorite things Disney has ever done. But they did the same thing with it being "Andy's Back Yard" so you can't have Pizza Planet or Al's Toybarn. Really? The vast majority of guests at Disney are not even going to think about something like that. They just want to see something cool from a movie they love. And I think that MOST people, would be happier to have gotten something closer to Diagon Alley. I don't think people would have been upset because we've already seen _____ place and they wanted to see something new.

We know exactly what Disney is capable of and that they were going to spare no expenses on this project. They knew the land would be a success no matter what they did or would have done. Any Star Wars Land is better than no Star Wars Land. And I think because they knew that, they took the easy way out. That's all. I don't hate it, I'm not mad or bitter. I just think it's modern day Disney doing what they do best, and the same line of thinking that's giving us all these live action remakes and that refuses to build new rides without IP being involved. Mission Breakout is maybe my favorite ride ever. But I don't want them to limit themselves to that. And that's what I think they've done. The land is massive. They could have built 2 or 3 areas and found a way to naturally transition between them. But that would have been more difficult to pull off.

I'm not saying Disney isn't justified in how they decided to do it. It makes sense for all the reasons many people have pointed out and many more. It just bothers me when it seems like we can't even be critical of something and have to pretend they did it this way because it is better, and they know better than us what we want. If you ask a random Star Wars fan who doesn't know anything about Disney to pick between the two concepts, very few would say "yes, please build a place we've never seen before that kind of looks like Tatooine. And make sure the blue milk doesn't use dairy." They didn't do it because it was better. They did it because it was easier. And that's fine.

I just really don't understand the echoing of the "you can live your own adventure" or "if they created it like the movies, that's those characters adventure, not yours." Is ANYONE outside of these boards really thinking that way?

Apologies for reducing your post to this one statement but my impression of every review outside these boards is yes, they're all buying in on this, and the irony is that the only place I've heard any concern about GE not being faithful enough to the existing movies is here. And I've been inhaling impressions of this place wherever I can find them.

That's not to say that your concern isn't valid but there's no indication that it's been a common problem with people who have visited.

Apologies for reducing your post to this one statement but my impression of every review outside these boards is yes, they're all buying in on this, and the irony is that the only place I've heard any concern about GE not being faithful enough to the existing movies is here. And I've been inhaling impressions of this place wherever I can find them.

That's not to say that your concern isn't valid but there's no indication that it's been a common problem with people who have visited.

I'd argue that's because it IS a well done and successful land, and most people aren't going to overanalyze things like we do here. There is nothing really negative to be said about the land. (Though I would complain about the capacity of Oga's and Savi's. It could have benefited from multiple rooms like Olivander's.) It looks like a fun experience. As I said, this was going to be successful no matter what. Anything they did on this grand a scale would blow the average person away. I've known what it was going to be for years, so my expectations are lined up with the reality I know I'll be met with. And I think they probably built the best version of what we were promised that they could. I just think they aimed for a 9/10, and I know they could have taken it to 11 with a different concept. That's all. So I guess to go back to the OP question, I am not unimpressed or disappointed with the land, just disappointed they chose to go the way they did with it.

I'll be there opening day, and many days to follow. And I am beyond thrilled that I have this land to explore for years to come. That doesn't mean I have to think Disney lived up the potential of what it could have been.

This is the last I'll say on this because I don't want it to seem like I'm being negative or trying to hate on Disney and rile people up. I just really don't understand the echoing of the "you can live your own adventure" or "if they created it like the movies, that's those characters adventure, not yours." Is ANYONE outside of these boards really thinking that way? Why can't I have my own adventure in the same location Luke or Han did? Of course I can. And again, I just don't think more than 5% of people going in there are actually running around living out their own movie in their heads. And if they are, they are likely children and I don't think they'd feel bound in their creativity because they are somewhere they've seen before, or be confused as to why THEY would be piloting the Falcon. Because it's a ride and you're at Disney.

To me, it's just taking it too far and too literal. I'd say I'm in the minority in that I actually really love Toy Story Land. It's one of my favorite things Disney has ever done. But they did the same thing with it being "Andy's Back Yard" so you can't have Pizza Planet or Al's Toybarn. Really? The vast majority of guests at Disney are not even going to think about something like that. They just want to see something cool from a movie they love. And I think that MOST people, would be happier to have gotten something closer to Diagon Alley. I don't think people would have been upset because we've already seen _____ place and they wanted to see something new.

We know exactly what Disney is capable of and that they were going to spare no expenses on this project. They knew the land would be a success no matter what they did or would have done. Any Star Wars Land is better than no Star Wars Land. And I think because they knew that, they took the easy way out. That's all. I don't hate it, I'm not mad or bitter. I just think it's modern day Disney doing what they do best, and the same line of thinking that's giving us all these live action remakes and that refuses to build new rides without IP being involved. Mission Breakout is maybe my favorite ride ever. But I don't want them to limit themselves to that. And that's what I think they've done. The land is massive. They could have built 2 or 3 areas and found a way to naturally transition between them. But that would have been more difficult to pull off.

I'm not saying Disney isn't justified in how they decided to do it. It makes sense for all the reasons many people have pointed out and many more. It just bothers me when it seems like we can't even be critical of something and have to pretend they did it this way because it is better, and they know better than us what we want. If you ask a random Star Wars fan who doesn't know anything about Disney to pick between the two concepts, very few would say "yes, please build a place we've never seen before that kind of looks like Tatooine. And make sure the blue milk doesn't use dairy." They didn't do it because it was better. They did it because it was easier. And that's fine.

There is nothing easy about a billion dollar construction project. That really just craps all over the the talent and time that went into creating this land. The main thing to remember is that it was not created for me or for you or for anyone else specifically. This is an extension of the rest of the park and meant for all guests not just Star Wars fans.

I am all for criticism. I am extremely critical of some of the choices they make for the parks. My personal issue with the criticism that I keep hearing across the internet for this specifically is that it's less criticism and more being disappointed they didn't build what one specific person wanted.

I have a whole floor of my house devoted to star wars. I live, eat, breath, and sleep Star Wars and personally I never wanted and still do not want a replica of Mos Eisley. To me, if they went with that, I would feel the same way you feel now about the choice they made and neither of us are wrong but I think it's a bit much to say they went with Batuu because it was the easier option

I have not been to SWGE. But I've watched hours and hours of live vlogs. I am a huge fan of everything Disney and want it to absolutely succeed. Maybe the juice is in Rise of the Resistance and Disney has just got the 'order of operations' wrong and should have opened the whole thing together. I feel that Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean and Peter Pan create a first-person environment without the space requirements and spending of SWGE. These attractions are 50+ years old and still create a queue. Will SWGE age so well?

I think a multi-billion dollar, 40+ year old franchise will age just fine haha. I do agree that it feels a bit out of place, at least at Disneyland. It fits perfectly at Hollywood Studios though and is, imo, just as 'Disney' as Tower of Terror. I was shocked that they didn't put it in DCA vs DL, but I am sure it will be fine.

Everyone always seems to forget that MGM Studios opened with, guess what, only 2 attractions :D
SWGE is not going to be for everyone but it it a hit with SW fans young and old alike. I couldn't care less if there is a ride, to me the attraction is the land itself and they did a fantastic job, imho. There's always a group that will not like it and that's ok too

This is me! We went to HS a month after it opened and while it’s never going to be my favorite park, we were entertained with only 2 rides. For those that don’t get that there’s more to an experience than just rides, it’s probably going to be a disappointment, although how you know that by watching videos puzzles me. If anything, the videos make me all the more excited to see it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a bit on the fence when they announced. But the more I hear the more excited I get. If some people are nonplussed, that is fine. Not everything is for everybody. I am interested to see how Disney lays it out at Hollywood Studios.

I'd argue that's because it IS a well done and successful land, and most people aren't going to overanalyze things like we do here. There is nothing really negative to be said about the land. (Though I would complain about the capacity of Oga's and Savi's. It could have benefited from multiple rooms like Olivander's.) It looks like a fun experience. As I said, this was going to be successful no matter what. Anything they did on this grand a scale would blow the average person away. I've known what it was going to be for years, so my expectations are lined up with the reality I know I'll be met with. And I think they probably built the best version of what we were promised that they could. I just think they aimed for a 9/10, and I know they could have taken it to 11 with a different concept. That's all. So I guess to go back to the OP question, I am not unimpressed or disappointed with the land, just disappointed they chose to go the way they did with it.
I think they did take it to an 11 with this concept. Iger and the board told the imagineers to be more ambitious after early concepts so they did. This is ambitious.

Seems like the OP believes Star Wars does not belong in the Disney parks. Star Wars has been in both these parks for over 20 years already. How does it not belong? Star Wars fans flocked DHS for years every Star Wars Weekend. Disney is the Mecca of Star Wars and has been before Disney bought LucasFlims.
I love Star Wars in the parks. For a billion dollars and 14 acres could we have something as timeless and compelling as Pirates of the Caribbean or Peter Pan, even Mine Train? We got 14 acres of concrete and a video game. Just my opinion.

I love Star Wars in the parks. For a billion dollars and 14 acres could we have something as timeless and compelling as Pirates of the Caribbean or Peter Pan, even Mine Train? We got 14 acres of concrete and a video game. Just my opinion.
I suggest going and checking it out. It’s definitely more than concrete and a video game. Also wait until Rise opens.

What exactly would you want from your ideal Star Wars land? If you could be more specific than saying "it needs more juice" that would be great. Do you want recreated locations from the movies? If so, which ones?

It sounds like you're being negative towards the park for the sake of being negative. Nobody is really going to change your mind, as your opinion seems to be pretty clear.

And Mine Train isn't all that compelling. Just my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter