Am I Stupid?

Jack Kerouac

DIS Veteran
My wife and I just bought our first DVC contract late last year for 220 points. Our home resort is the Polynesian. We have more than enough points to book a LV studio for a week during the times of year we want to travel. But we have three young boys (nearly 8, 5, and nearly 3.) So as they get older, we will likely need two studios at the Polynesian or a 2BR at a different resort. To do this in the future, we would likely be borrowing points or having to buy more points if we wanted the same frequency. I was talking to the broker who we used for our first contract and she has a 75 point contract at a different resort that we love. It's relatively cheap and I am considering putting an offer on it. We would pay cash for it. Am I stupid to be buying a second contract before our first DVC visit? FYI, we have stayed at the resort of the smaller contract and we loved how quiet it was.

Nothing stupid at all, but I'll state the obvious caveat that a 75 point contract at another resort may complicate your planning. Even if it's same use year, you won't be able to book using both sets of points together unless it's within 7 months. If you plan to use the contracts each at their home resort this isn't an issue. We had an offer out on our eventual second contract while on our first stay (that stay was delayed a while due to COVID, but still stands to point that we even then knew what we first could afford wasn't all we'd eventually need).

My wife and I just bought our first DVC contract late last year for 220 points. Our home resort is the Polynesian. We have more than enough points to book a LV studio for a week during the times of year we want to travel. But we have three young boys (nearly 8, 5, and nearly 3.) So as they get older, we will likely need two studios at the Polynesian or a 2BR at a different resort. To do this in the future, we would likely be borrowing points or having to buy more points if we wanted the same frequency. I was talking to the broker who we used for our first contract and she has a 75 point contract at a different resort that we love. It's relatively cheap and I am considering putting an offer on it. We would pay cash for it. Am I stupid to be buying a second contract before our first DVC visit? FYI, we have stayed at the resort of the smaller contract and we loved how quiet it was.

This is the wrong forum to be asking whether you should buy more points whether at a different resort or different UY! My vote is “YES”. More is always better.

FWIW… getting a studio at Poly at the 7 month mark seems to be pretty easy. So if you needed to double up on studios in the future it should be easy to do if you buy at another resort.

My wife and I just bought our first DVC contract late last year for 220 points. Our home resort is the Polynesian. We have more than enough points to book a LV studio for a week during the times of year we want to travel. But we have three young boys (nearly 8, 5, and nearly 3.) So as they get older, we will likely need two studios at the Polynesian or a 2BR at a different resort. To do this in the future, we would likely be borrowing points or having to buy more points if we wanted the same frequency. I was talking to the broker who we used for our first contract and she has a 75 point contract at a different resort that we love. It's relatively cheap and I am considering putting an offer on it. We would pay cash for it. Am I stupid to be buying a second contract before our first DVC visit? FYI, we have I stayed at the resort of the smaller contract and we loved how quiet it was.
I personally would build up enough points to be able to book where you want to stay at the room you want to stay in before buying into another resort.

In your case, I may wait until they announce if Poly2 will be the same association and offer more 1BD/2BD options and then build on what you have.

As far as adding on before your first stay… not crazy. I have four contracts and will not have my first stay until August.

No, you're not crazy to want to add on before your first stay, but I agree with a PP that 75 points is more of an irritation than a help for what you're trying to do. We have 300 at Riviera and would like another 300 at Poly 2.0 or CC. We're stuck going on school breaks for the next decade and plan to pass the contracts on to the kids though, and we only do one or two-bedrooms, even if traveling as a couple. I know there are folks who live and die by the studios, but especially as the kids get older and taller and have more gear, want to bring friends and cousins, etc. -- all I know is once you get a hit of larger rooms, you may not be as thrilled squishing into studios, even adjoining studios.
I don't think 75 is enough to do much unless you're thinking of an every-other-year long weekend or something, or a 2042 resort that you want priority but not too much exposure. That may make sense.
In terms of fiscal responsibility to add on, LOL, . . . you're asking the wrong folks. Enjoy! We love it and wish we had zillions of points.

I don't see why you are in such a hurry. DVC will still be here in a couple years, when you actually "need" this.

And maybe you want to buy all RIV3 then anyway, and want to sell the Poly1. Maybe RIV3 has the deal of a lifetime on 300 points? Maybe you find your dream 300 points contract somewhere else? I would slow down.

I put an offer for another contract (just got accepted) even before our first stay using the points we bought in Oct last year. That being said, once I booked our first stay I knew the contract we have now is not sufficient for us.

Our first contract is for VGF (MK resort) and trying to get a home resort at Epcot and that too a 2042 resort (not interested in RIV). Does it make financial sense? No. Does it make sense for us personally. It did. We want to stay at the Epcot resort in early 2024 so I want to buy now than wait too long. Also buying enough for our need rather than a small contract.

So decide if the other resort is definitely somewhere you see yourself staying long term and gives you something that your poly contract doesn't give AND you see yourself using it sooner than later. I wouldn't buy it just to combine points with your current contract at 7 months just in case.

You should not buy a 75 point contract at another resort right now. Use your Poly now and enjoy it. Later on either sell your poly and get another big contract that will give you more room. The main thing is to wait and see if you'll be able to use your poly points at the new poly tower with 1 and 2 bedrooms. Don't make rash decisions.

The resale market is seeing falling prices, why buy 75 points & pay the closing costs for a resort that you’ll be forced to use for split stays or at 7 months? Use the points you just bought for a couple of years, keep an eye on how 7 month availability looks for when you want to go in the villas you want & then decide whether & where you want to add on.
I see the attraction of staying at the Poly - it’s a lovely resort, but IMO the dedicated 2 br. villas w/ the master bedroom, living room, kitchen, and in villa washer & dryer other resorts offer are so much nicer for families than the non guaranteed connecting studios at the Poly 🤷‍♀️.
W/ any luck Poly2 & Poly1 will be the same association & you’ll be able to book Poly2’s 2 br.s w/ the points you just bought when you reach that stage.

Not stupid, no. However, buying DVC gives quite a dopamine hit and contracts are addictive. I'd caution trying out what you've purchased first and if/when you need points, purchase them. As the boys age, will they want to go to Disney as often? Maybe they'd enjoy a different resort when they're a few years older compared with now. Resale will always be available. Priorities and tastes within DVC can change.

I agree to hold off and wait until your family's stay needs and preferences change to the point that you truly need more points for a workable stay as often as you want to go.

We bought in direct and immediately booked a 1br for our first stay, alternating for a few years with studios despite knowing we preferred the 1br.

I'm actually glad we waited to buy more points until 5 years from buy-in because we know much better now which resorts suit us as well as how many points we truly need. It takes a while to "live in" enough to know how well a given stay level actually suits your family.

It's easier than you may currently think to buy points that turn out not to suit you as well as you thought in that DVC newbie phase. Give yourselves a few years to try out various levels and resorts before adding on is my advice based on our experience.

Maybe we should also ask this question…
How many backed out of a sale and R Glad they did?

I admit I backed out of Riviera , as much as I love that resort and actually had a guaranteed fixed week . I guess I decided my frustration with “walking“ ( at BLT for holiday week ) every year would not be solved with adding another contract .
But my guide was correct… It would have been a smart purchase to keep. The fixed week keeps the point value and would have been so easy to flip !

Last edited:
Not at all.

But, I will warn you that in the very beginning of one's timeshare journey, it is easy to overdo it. I speak from experience here. ;)
I worry this is me :) Both kids and plenty of the cousins are young so I should have a good decade or so of built in demand before I start to regret it (hopefully never). Always appreciate your wisdom.

Maybe we should also ask this question…
How many backed out of a sale and R Glad they did?

I admit I backed out of Riviera , as much as I love that resort and actually had a guaranteed fixed week . I guess I decided my frustration with “walking“ ( at BLT for holiday week ) every year would not be solved with adding another contract .
But my guide was correct… It would have been a smart purchase to keep. The fixed week keeps the point value and would have been so easy to flip !
The broker contacted me today and told me the seller is going to remove the contract from the resale market for the time being. From what I have heard from another person on the boards, the seller wants a certain price and they must not be getting it. I cannot decide if I'm relieved or disappointed. It was a relatively inexpensive small contract. We have enough points for now, but if the resale prices continue to drop, I may be inclined to add some points. I'll go back to looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter