Am I Stupid?

After my first resale contract I immediately bought 125 direct points before my first official DVC visit. Addonitis is real. šŸ˜…

I agree to hold off and wait until your family's stay needs and preferences change to the point that you truly need more points for a workable stay as often as you want to go.

We bought in direct and immediately booked a 1br for our first stay, alternating for a few years with studios despite knowing we preferred the 1br.

I'm actually glad we waited to buy more points until 5 years from buy-in because we know much better now which resorts suit us as well as how many points we truly need. It takes a while to "live in" enough to know how well a given stay level actually suits your family.

It's easier than you may currently think to buy points that turn out not to suit you as well as you thought in that DVC newbie phase. Give yourselves a few years to try out various levels and resorts before adding on is my advice based on our experience.
This right here is very true. We have hit DVC HARD since buying in, and while we're not burnt out yet, LOL, doing split stays and eating at various resorts, poking around, visiting lobbies and pools and seeing crowd patterns during the holidays (we have to travel on kids' vacations at peak crowds/points/costs,) it HAS helped narrow down what we like and don't like.

My husband uses an ECV. Riviera is totally easy to get around with it and we love it. Epcot and HS are our favorite parks.

We did GF this December and kind of hated it! The rooms are nice, but the lobby is insane with crowds, and the interior room hallways are narrower than Riviera's to park the ECV. It was a hassle navigating around it in the room to use the bathroom and get in the foyer. All the food options required walking outside in the elements from the DVC wing, and we have zero interest in BPK.

While I love BW, there's no dedicated 2-bedroom, which is what I like for when we do larger group travel.

We tried BC and though Stormalong is overrated, but loved the location and theming.

Saratoga has a beautiful refurb, but I hate their room floor plan, again, for parking ECVs and, also, the weirdly narrow entry into the kitchen and redundant doorways to get to the main bathroom. All the 2042 resorts have that floor plan, BTW, and it's kind of a non starter for me. I do actually cook in the room, and I don't like how cramped it feels.

AK I am tempted by and love it, but the dues to maintain the animals are pretty high. I worry about long-term where those are headed.

We're trying OKW this July.

We LOVE CC, but I watched a YouTube video on ECV/wheelchair accessible, and I heard it's not great for loading onto boats due to tides. While the rooms are smaller, I like the foyer/kitchen layout and everything about WL. It's not out of consideration, but we need to stay there and check out how convenient it is to get around with buses and boats. My husband hates them, so it may be out.

Our son LOVES Stitch and all things Poly, but we don't do studios, so I am saving up for Poly 2.0.
Point being, PP is correct; until you start really diving into your stays and seeing your kids grow (and meet up with other DVC families on vacations!) your needs/tastes may get clarified a bit better. Besides, prices may keep going down! There's well over 800 contracts on resale, and soon there will be four to five new active resorts getting promoted. I'm thinking starting prices will be high, but so will discounting, at least initially.

We LOVE CC, but I watched a YouTube video on ECV/wheelchair accessible, and I heard it's not great for loading onto boats due to tides. While the rooms are smaller, I like the foyer/kitchen layout and everything about WL. It's not out of consideration, but we need to stay there and check out how convenient it is to get around with buses and boats. My husband hates them, so it may be out.
I wouldn't give too much credit to that video about tides affecting the on/off WH boats without a tryout stay in CCV yourselves. Tides? I've no idea what that video meant. Perhaps made by someone a bit squeamish about negotiating the transfer from boat to dock and the reverse.

My DH uses a powerchair and has never found getting onto or off the boats a big issue. In fact, we very much prefer how relaxing the boat rides to WH are as opposed to the bus. We have our own car at WDW so could drive but still take the boat to WH. We like the WH boats that much.

Skippers are very helpful asking people to move to the other side of the boat to raise or lower it as much as possible to even out the transition from boat to dock or vice versa. I will admit my DH negotiates some boat-to-dock transfers that worry me, but he knows his chair's capabilities and has never had a mishap.

Don't reject CCV without trying it for yourselves is my suggestion.

The fixed week keeps the point value and would have been so easy to flip !
There's no actual data this is true. They're pretty recent, and only a handful of resorts even have fixed weeks. They seem to list about the same as other contracts. Maybe even less, when it's a huge point contract. A lot of brokers don't even have a place to list this feature. Even the board sponsor doesn't even bother to list what the room category is for the fixed week.

I agree in theory, but I don't think we've actually seen it happen. The board sponsor only has two for sale right now. One is bananas, and one isn't that far off the other listings.

Last edited:

Huh? That's a new complaint. I don't even like WL, but this isn't why. I did a BR stay with a power chair. It was annoying to wait for the accessible boat, but loading was a non-issue. What tides? This is a small lake, not the ocean.

I guess if you're in a serious windstorm it might be a mess?

Obviously, the best boat with an ECV is the TTC boat right by Poly. Otherwise, the boats will all have this "issue," including the Crescent Lake boats. We've done multiple stays and gone on all of these boats in a power chair and never had an issue. Buses are annoying, but that's not news to anyone in a chair.

I wouldn't give too much credit to that video about tides affecting the on/off WH boats without a tryout stay in CCV yourselves. Tides? I've no idea what that video meant. Perhaps made by someone a bit squeamish about negotiating the transfer from boat to dock and the reverse.

My DH uses a powerchair and has never found getting onto or off the boats a big issue. In fact, we very much prefer how relaxing the boat rides to WH are as opposed to the bus. We have our own car at WDW so could drive but still take the boat to WH. We like the WH boats that much.

Skippers are very helpful asking people to move to the other side of the boat to raise or lower it as much as possible to even out the transition from boat to dock or vice versa. I will admit my DH negotiates some boat-to-dock transfers that worry me, but he knows his chair's capabilities and has never had a mishap.

Don't reject CCV without trying it for yourselves is my suggestion.
Oh, we definitely want to try CC! Weā€™ve toured it every chance we get, including the cool cabins. Only problem is weā€™d be trying to waitlist a 2-bedroom Thanksgiving week at CC. Iā€™d say our best chance of ever getting it is when Poly 2.0 is open that first šŸ¦ƒ year. Maybe some CC folks will want to try the shiny new DVC and we can sneak in for a split stay there.

Huh? That's a new complaint. I don't even like WL, but this isn't why. I did a BR stay with a power chair. It was annoying to wait for the accessible boat, but loading was a non-issue. What tides? This is a small lake, not the ocean.

I guess if you're in a serious windstorm it might be a mess?

Obviously, the best boat with an ECV is the TTC boat right by Poly. Otherwise, the boats will all have this "issue," including the Crescent Lake boats. We've done multiple stays and gone on all of these boats in a power chair and never had an issue. Buses are annoying, but that's not news to anyone in a chair.
If I remember correctly, the person was in a regular wheelchair, so maybe that colored their experience boarding the boat? It just surprised me to hear that, too, but since I donā€™t use an ECV/wheelchair, I figured I was just oblivious to the issue but definitely want to try CC out, especially if weā€™re considering a resale contract there in the future.

If I remember correctly, the person was in a regular wheelchair, so maybe that colored their experience boarding the boat? It just surprised me to hear that, too, but since I donā€™t use an ECV/wheelchair, I figured I was just oblivious to the issue but definitely want to try CC out, especially if weā€™re considering a resale contract there in the future.
When we were at WDW in November we took the boat over to and from WL. Each time somebody in a wheelchair or ECV was on it. All the captain had to do for them to be able to safely get on and off was ask the people on the boat to get onto the opposite side of the boat so that it would be even w/the dock.

Family of 5 here. We bought enough points for a 1br stay at BLT (our home). The BLT 1brs have enough bedding for 5, plus we found you can modify the dining area pretty easily to use as a bed. BLT 1brs also have 2 bathrooms (this is a pretty big plus for those rope drop mornings). Some of the other 1brs are big enough for 5 but do not have 5 sleeping spaces (BWV is one), while other 1brs are not big enough for 5 (CCV, looking at you). We were out on Poly because they were only studios and we like the space.
LSS - if I were you, I'd think about selling Poly and buying somewhere else down the road. Then again, 1brs usually go last so you can probably switch @ 7 months and keep Poly. No sense owning there if you aren't going to stay there I always say - but for now enjoy!

My wife and I just bought our first DVC contract late last year for 220 points. Our home resort is the Polynesian. We have more than enough points to book a LV studio for a week during the times of year we want to travel. But we have three young boys (nearly 8, 5, and nearly 3.) So as they get older, we will likely need two studios at the Polynesian or a 2BR at a different resort. To do this in the future, we would likely be borrowing points or having to buy more points if we wanted the same frequency. I was talking to the broker who we used for our first contract and she has a 75 point contract at a different resort that we love. It's relatively cheap and I am considering putting an offer on it. We would pay cash for it. Am I stupid to be buying a second contract before our first DVC visit? FYI, we have stayed at the resort of the smaller contract and we loved how quiet it was.
Have you factored in the borrowing feature? Plus LV BLT villas are usually fairly available at 7 months and they're less points than Poly. I would play around a bit with the 7 month availability, afterall, do you want to stay exclusively at Poly and not experience any of the other venues? We waited a year and a few vacations before adding on but we've no concrete vacationing time. We still don't own many points after 14 years and we've stayed in everything from studios to 3Br villas throughout WDW. It just takes a bit of flexibility. It's not like you are locked into Saturday to Saturday.

We specifically purchased a 55 point BC contract to use every other year in a studio villa.

Am I stupid to be buying a second contract before our first DVC visit?

Yes

Only because the current outlook on the economy. Every company I know (and I cover and work with a ton) are seeing budgets slashed.

I highly suspect DVC resale prices in the near term are not going to get more expensive.

But hey I might be stupid thinking pricing of DVC won't keep going up.

Oh and BTW the 50th is over and revenge travel is petering out.

Not stupid, no. However, buying DVC gives quite a dopamine hit and contracts are addictive. I'd caution trying out what you've purchased first and if/when you need points, purchase them. As the boys age, will they want to go to Disney as often? Maybe they'd enjoy a different resort when they're a few years older compared with now. Resale will always be available. Priorities and tastes within DVC can change.
Yes. We loved WL when my boys were younger and now that they are tweens/teens, BW/BC makes much more sense because they have so much freedom..the crescent lake area is a blast and they can walk to two parks by themselves. Itā€™s amazing. So we made the not great financial decision and bought 150 points resale (but a great price and didnā€™t finance) at BWV to stay in a 2-bedroom every other year (bc every year is tough as they get older with sports etc). And now they want to bring friends! It all changesā€¦

My wife and I just bought our first DVC contract late last year for 220 points. Our home resort is the Polynesian. We have more than enough points to book a LV studio for a week during the times of year we want to travel. But we have three young boys (nearly 8, 5, and nearly 3.) So as they get older, we will likely need two studios at the Polynesian or a 2BR at a different resort. To do this in the future, we would likely be borrowing points or having to buy more points if we wanted the same frequency. I was talking to the broker who we used for our first contract and she has a 75 point contract at a different resort that we love. It's relatively cheap and I am considering putting an offer on it. We would pay cash for it. Am I stupid to be buying a second contract before our first DVC visit? FYI, we have stayed at the resort of the smaller contract and we loved how quiet it was.
No, we did the same thing and added on at AKV quickly after buying our original BLT contract. I can tell you from experience, you are correct in your future planning for wanting more space.

I'd be cautious buying a small contract at a secondary resort. It's not always easy to combine points at 7 months. If forced to use the 75 points at the 11 month mark at the other resort, there isn't a whole lot you can do with 75 points. 2 studios for maybe 2 nights... a 2 bedroom for maybe 1-2 nights.

If adding a second resort, I'd add enough points to book a whole vacation for decent length split stay. (For example, book alternating resorts in alternating years). If adding a small contract, I'd add to a resort I already own.

If forced to use the 75 points at the 11 month mark at the other resort, there isn't a whole lot you can do with 75 points. 2 studios for maybe 2 nights... a 2 bedroom for maybe 1-2 nights.
True enough for most people, but the above may be exactly what you wish to do. It is for us.

Members tend to think in terms of a half-and-half split stay, as in 3 nights at BLT and 4 at CCV. So, yeah, if that's what someone wants, a 75pt or smaller contract won't do much.

However, we prefer to unpack and settle in so don't want a half-half split for our week's stay. I'm not eager to re-pack everything halfway through our stay.

Instead, we prefer a single night or at most two upon arriving at WDW to try out different resorts. We just explore the resort and unwind from travel. Nothing but necessities gets unpacked.

Knowing we prefer a 1br, we bought a 50pt BWV resale last year, making sure it was enough for 1 night in a 1br anywhere at WDW when we ordinarily go. For our next trip, it was a BWV placeholder until we decided where we wanted to be on arrival night. Modified at 7 mos to get that.

A very small contract isn't necessarily a bad thing to acquire. But it is wise, IMO, to determine your stay-style and buy accordingly, enough for a half-half split if that's your preference.

I'd also hold off. Your oldest is eight....and Disney trips are great when kids are young. But you may decide that every other year meets family needs better as your kids get older and fall in love with skiing/beaches/museums/foreign travel/going to camp. By twelve, my oldest had outgrown Disney and it was hard to get him to go every other year. He preferred the big rides at Universal or going to a beach. My youngest had fallen in love with museums - and would have rather spent the week in Washington DC or Chicago or somewhere else with museums. They also liked camp - and so Summer was taken with camp and school activities. It also became much harder to pull them for a few days of school.

Sit tight and react to family changes. So much change is going to happen over the next decade.

I think it is the norm for new owners to immediately start to think about their next step.

I do not even have a contract yet but as I place bids I run different plans through my mind.

I have a bid in at BLT and I am thinking maybe I purchase a similar resale contract (150-160 points) next at Riviera. That gives me 300-320 points for a 2 bedroom using different resorts alternate years. I can use the BLT points at different resorts and basically do Riviera every other year. I could add 50 direct points later to make sure I have enough points that can be used anywhere between the 2 contracts.

And if this offer does not get accepted I just may move to Saratoga offers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter