Am I over reacting?

Let me qualify this by saying, when we stay at ANY hotel, we always keep the do not disturb sign on our door and generally do not request housekeeping service. I just don't like strangers being in my room with my stuff and my husband usually has work items on the desk that are confidential, so we just don't bother with housekeeping unless it is necessary. If we need refreashed towels, we just request them and meet them at the door.

But, I think one of 2 things happened here. The housekeeper got distracted or this particular housekeeper was not comfortable moving your personal items off the bed (which I do not blame him/her for).

Either way - if it was just one day, I probably would not have thought twice about it. The whole week? I would have been bothered.

It is not worth wasting your energy on one day's worth of the bed not getting made.

I would have to think you had a different housekeeper that day who didn't want to touch your belongings or thought your bag on the bed was notice not to make that bed. I used to work in a hotel (not Disney) and housekeeping staff was always instructed not to lay a finger on a person's personal belongings (likely due to liability) and to work around everything. I don't know if the same policy applies in Disney - I did once have a housekeeper at Disney roll up the cords on my curling iron and flat iron which was odd. But, I would think they just didn't know what to do about the bag. I always make sure my belongings are out of the way of where the housekeepers have to work.

Disturbed? Maybe.

Really ticked off? That strikes me as an overreaction.

Still talking about it after you get home? Ditto.

If it bothered you that much, you should have called while you were there or spoke to the front desk.

I wouldn't think it was a maid being lazy, more likely distracted by something else / called out into the corridor / etc. in the middle of doing your room. Mistakes happen. Or it could have been about the bag - same as Sue - we never leave stuff on the bed when we leave, so I don't know about that part.

2nd this..Time to let it go and move on

My guess is that something came up or she went to do something and simply forgot to go back and make that bed. We need to remember how many rooms are in that resort and how busy the maids are. They almost always do a great job, but they aren't perfect (and neither are we). I might have mentioned it to them though just so they knew (for their own quality improvement).

I'm appalled by some of the rude comments people have left :scared1: It was simply an honest question and I wasn't looking for such negativity. I didn't know the had a policy about stuff being on the beds or I would have made sure they were clear. No need to flame me for asking a simple question :sad2:

Excuse me, but your initial post asked for opinions as to whether or not you over reacted to the situation. And opinions you got. Sorry if you didn't like what you got in response, but really?? Appalled?? If you're going to post situations like this you are going to have to go out and get a flame proof suit or develop a thicker skin.

I'm appalled by some of the rude comments people have left :scared1: It was simply an honest question and I wasn't looking for such negativity. I didn't know the had a policy about stuff being on the beds or I would have made sure they were clear. No need to flame me for asking a simple question :sad2:

First, I don't believe anyone was flaming you. You asked in your original post if you were overreacting and you said it ticked you off. People were responding with their thoughts on whether they think you were overreacting or not. A lot of time people will post this sort of thing thinking that everyone is going to agree with them and jump on the band wagon that that was the most horrible thing to ever happen. However, when people don't necessarily agree with the post and express their opinion, then the poster assumes that people are flaming them because they don't have the same opinion. My suggestion is not to start a post saying "am I overreacting" because some people will tell you yes, you are overreacting. I do agree with the posters that have commented that it probably didn't get made because there was something on the bed. My belief is that housekeeping - in any hotel - is not allowed to touch personal belongings of guests. There's too much liability on the hotel if something comes up missing. Would it bother me or "tick me off" if one of my beds weren't made - absolutely NOT. Just my opinion -- of which you did as for.

First, I don't believe anyone was flaming you. You asked in your original post if you were overreacting and you said it ticked you off. People were responding with their thoughts on whether they think you were overreacting or not. A lot of time people will post this sort of thing thinking that everyone is going to agree with them and jump on the band wagon that that was the most horrible thing to ever happen. However, when people don't necessarily agree with the post and express their opinion, then the poster assumes that people are flaming them because they don't have the same opinion. My suggestion is not to start a post saying "am I overreacting" because some people will tell you yes, you are overreacting. I do agree with the posters that have commented that it probably didn't get made because there was something on the bed. My belief is that housekeeping - in any hotel - is not allowed to touch personal belongings of guests. There's too much liability on the hotel if something comes up missing. Would it bother me or "tick me off" if one of my beds weren't made - absolutely NOT. Just my opinion -- of which you did as for.

:thumbsup2. Well said.

I can see why OP thinks people are flaming her so to speak. You are correct in that she asked for opinions in her FIRST post, but she then made follow up posts explaining that her verbage (being ticked off) was not the proper words for way that she felt. She also made a subsequent post thanking everyone for their opinions and that it hadn't occured to her that leaving something on the bed might be an issue.

To the OP, a lot of people will read the initial post ONLY and then post their comment. It is likely that the people that you felt were a little harsh did not actually read the whole thread. If they had, they would have realized that the thread was basically over in terms of you getting a few opinions and helping you resolve your issues with what happened. This is why I always make the following statement if I have not read an entire thread before I post...

"Forgive me if this has already been mentioned because I have not read the entire thread..."

You had an issue and a question and you got answers to help you see what might have happened. You also thanked people for helping you. You did absolutely NOTHING wrong, so don't let anyone here get to you. Sometimes people post without having ALL of the information. That is not your fault.:thumbsup2

I can see why OP thinks people are flaming her so to speak. You are correct in that she asked for opinions in her FIRST post, but she then made follow up posts explaining that her verbage (being ticked off) was not the proper words for way that she felt. She also made a subsequent post thanking everyone for their opinions and that it hadn't occured to her that leaving something on the bed might be an issue.

To the OP, a lot of people will read the initial post ONLY and then post their comment. It is likely that the people that you felt were a little harsh did not actually read the whole thread. If they had, they would have realized that the thread was basically over in terms of you getting a few opinions and helping you resolve your issues with what happened. This is why I always make the following statement if I have not read an entire thread before I post...

"Forgive me if this has already been mentioned because I have not read the entire thread..."

You had an issue and a question and you got answers to help you see what might have happened. You also thanked people for helping you. You did absolutely NOTHING wrong, so don't let anyone here get to you. Sometimes people post without having ALL of the information. That is not your fault.:thumbsup2

Good post!

O.P. I only read you inition post and yes I would have been mad.

Thank you for the kind words and understanding my situation :goodvibes If i had known this question was going to be such a touchy subject, I would not have brought it up. I'm not dwelling on this and it currently didn't ruin my vacation, I just wanted to know what others would have done in my situation. We still had an amazing vacation and I would definitely stay at Pop again :)

I didn't think you ever seemed to really be "ticked off" with how you wrote this and, I think, anyone who really read it would have realized what you really meant. I hope I didn't seem like I was flaming you as I was just trying to make sure you didn't let it bother you too much as I'm sure the maids are really busy. Glad to know it didn't ruin your trip!

I didn't think you ever seemed to really be "ticked off" with how you wrote this and, I think, anyone who really read it would have realized what you really meant. I hope I didn't seem like I was flaming you as I was just trying to make sure you didn't let it bother you too much as I'm sure the maids are really busy. Glad to know it didn't ruin your trip!

You're fine. No hard feelings :) Also I have to say that I love your name :thumbsup2

Since you specifically asked if you are overreacting, I'll answer...I think you are.
There could be many reasons why it happened. Mistakes happen, even with the best, most conscientious employees. Perhaps she got called into the hallway to handle a problem for a guest or another mousekeeper - and then lost track of the fact that the hadn't done the second bed. That's just one example - i'm sure i could think of more if i wasted the time to do it.
Just call down and politely let them know that your bed had been overlooked and ask if someone could stop by to take care of it or, if it's already bedtime, let it go.

I don't see any flaming at all.

Me either.

OP, if you think people are flaming you here, I'm very afraid for you future posts. People can be almost brutaly honest, and if you are easily upset, I don't think you will enjoy posting much. Try and keep in mind that most people are not trying to be mean, but you will never ever have a post where everyone agrees with you. And people may word that disagreement in a manner that seems harsh, but it is not usually meant harshly. It is hard to get the tone of posts and that can lead to some misunderstandings.

We recently stayed at Pop Century. We have stayed at this resort many times before and absolutely loved it! However, on our last trip we had an experience that kind of ticked me off. We had just returned to our hotel room after a long day in the parks and came in to our room to find that only 1 of our beds had been made. I know it's not THAT big of a deal, but it really ticked me off. Was the maid too lazy to make that bed? I mean to make one and not the other, seriously? Yes my bed had some stuff on it (one of my bags), but it wasn't an issue the previous days. I'm just confused as to why it would matter that day? They are paid to make beds and stuff so to come into my hotel room and have one of them not made up just seemed so unprofessional. Thoughts? :confused3

I have read through the entire thread :goodvibes and just want to say the proper thing to do would have been to call down and ask for housekeeping to come back up and make the bed. Simple as that. Yes, you paid for that service and you should have been provided. Easy to fix with one call to Housekeeping on the phone.

I would not have touched your bag at all. The maid did the right thing.

If your bag had been moved, and your wallet and credit cards were missing -- guess who would have been blamed for that?

I agree with the maid's choice here. :thumbsup2

I would not have touched your bag at all. The maid did the right thing.

If your bag had been moved, and your wallet and credit cards were missing -- guess who would have been blamed for that?

I agree with the maid's choice here. :thumbsup2

Gotta agree! There is no way I would have touched that bag, if I had been the housekeeper. Replacing towels, making a bed, vacumning, cleaning commode and toilet is one thing, but touching someone's person items is something else. If something comes up missing or broken, guess who gets blamed. What if there had been something breakable in that bag and the housekeeper accidentally dropped it?

Is it puzzling or annoying that it happened? yes, a little. But I have to agree with the majority here. This could have been an easy fix and you should have called housekeeping when you were there. As for the bags and housekeeping not wanting to touch them... all I can say is that as much as I try to keep our bags in one spot, they do unfortunately end up everywhere. We've had them moved around, nothing has ever been taken and we, personally, don't have an issue with them moving stuff or touching stuff so they can get their job done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter