Am I making a mistake taking another 4 night cruise?

darnheather

DIS Veteran
EDIT: I had the wrong destination. Will be cancelling as I wanted to go to PEI but this goes to New Brunswick.

Took my first ever 4 night over Christmas and was not a fan for a lot of reasons. I have a 7 night booked on the Fantasy for August and a 4 night booked on the Dream for September. The 4 night would be my grand slam, first gold cruise, first verandah, and is going to PEI which I've always wanted to visit. BUT, I'm worried that I will be disappointed by the length of the cruise again and feeling rushed.

Is there a way to make these shorter cruises more relaxing and fun? Maybe spend a few days in NY first?

Last edited:
I've never booked a cruise shorter than 7 days because I feel that is the perfect length. But most of my cruises involved cross country flights to get to the departure ports so the more time I can get on the ship the better. I did a 10 day, and it wasn't too long. My first cruise was 2 weeks, but it was for work, working as part of a TV crew recording shows on the ship and the ports so it wasn't a vacation, so I don't count it.

Can you back to back? We’re looking at booking a back to back out of Ft. Lauderdale. A 5 and a 4 for 9 total.

Can you back to back? We’re looking at booking a back to back out of Ft. Lauderdale. A 5 and a 4 for 9 total.
You can do as many back to back to back as you want! There is no limit to how many you can do back to back.
Many on here do back to backs.

It just comes down to if you can afford the back to backs!

I've done two 4-night and they've both felt too short for very different reasons. One was our first cruise ever, and despite two sea days to explore the ship, we just weren't ready to come back to real life. We weren't ready to let go of the relaxation and fun we had discovered cruising can be. I can, however, say that we did get all out of that sailing and more than we had anticipated. We didn't feel at all like we had missed doing anything.
Our second 4 night was over Christmas too, and that one was jammed pack with so many more activities and people than the first. At the end of those 4 days the time had flown by and we had never really stopped to just enjoy being on a ship in the middle of the ocean. I don't think an extra 3 nights would have changed that circumstance.
4 days might be enough time but you really have to decide if everything you want to get out of being on the ship can be accomplished in that time. Maybe so, since your Fantasy sailing isn't that far removed from the Dream sailing.

I would do a b2b. I’ve done a few 4 night cruises but always paired them with another cruise (apart from two occasions.) For me now 5 nights is a minimum unless I’m doing a b2b. It feels VERY short, especially if you plan to get off at the port which it seems like you do.

Our family will fit in travel and vacationing however it works, even if we end up with shorter trips, so if your 4 night checks off a couple of boxes, take it. You know what made it not as enjoyable the first time, are there things you can do differently to change that?

While I prefer longer, if 4 days is what I get, I take it. I manage my expectations going in and set my priorities knowing that I can't do everything. I pick out a couple of must-dos and let the rest happen.

And I've been fine that way - going in knowing it's 4 days and letting it be what it is.

I feel like if you're going in with the "OMG this is too short. I'm going to be disappointed!" mentality, you will be disappointed. But if you go in optimistic with a "I am going to enjoy this cruise" mentality and NOT focusing on the length it will be much better in the end. Mentality and attitude really does make a difference.

I'm kind of a mix on the length of cruises. I prefer the 7-night cruises unfortunately they aren't always feasible with my schedule. I've done two 7-nights, a 5-night, and have a 4-night coming up. While I'd prefer it to be longer I will enjoy the experience for what it is, a chance to be on a cruise ship for a few days and enjoy the ride.

My March cruise is on the Magic out of New Orleans. I've never been on the Magic, to Cozumel, or New Orleans. I'm looking forward to exploring some new places and experiences.

I'm kind of a mix on the length of cruises. I prefer the 7-night cruises unfortunately they aren't always feasible with my schedule. I've done two 7-nights, a 5-night, and have a 4-night coming up. While I'd prefer it to be longer I will enjoy the experience for what it is, a chance to be on a cruise ship for a few days and enjoy the ride.

My March cruise is on the Magic out of New Orleans. I've never been on the Magic, to Cozumel, or New Orleans. I'm looking forward to exploring some new places and experiences.
Our first, and still our favorite ship!

When we are on a shorter cruise we try to board as early as possible (not as easy these days I know), and book later flights home so we can linger on the ship on disembarkation day in order to maximize our time on the ship. We also go into it with the attitude that, "any day on a cruise is better than a day NOT on a cruise!" We prefer longer cruises, but if 4 nights is all the schedule/budget will allow, it beats not cruising:-):-):-)

So no tie-in to Anne if Green Gables?
I don't think so. PEI is where the first book takes place. I will look though and see if any of the other books take place there. I may move to a Bahamas cruise in January. I just want her to see all the ships before turning 18 which is what I promised pre-Covid. I know things change and Covid wasn't my fault, but I feel lousy for our plans going to awry.

OMG that makes up my mind for me. You are right it isn't PEI it is New Brunswick. Ug. I feel so dumb, but at least I didn't tell my daughter about it yet.
Well, New Brunswick is nice, also. We spent this past summer on a 2 month Canadian Maritimes trip. We were in St John, NB at the end of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter