• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I mad?

T16GEM

<font color=blue>I must have a funnel cake when I'
DH and I are thinking of leaving booking our flights until last minute, what do you think about this?
I have seen some great bargains around lately (not sure if this is due to the ash cloud and airlines trying to fill seats though)

Has anyone had a great bargain when booking late? And how far before departure did you book?

Gems :goodvibes

Depends what dates Gems.
We have done it 3 times, twice we ended up paying more than booking early, other time(Xmas) no availability and ended up staying at home.
Also the ones we did pay OTT for were not routes we would do booking in avance, one was with TCD (before Virgin) into Sanford, other was from Gatwick(about 500 mile round trip)

All ours were in school hols, if you can go out in term time then maybe worth a risk but not something I would want to do if at all possible.

Depends what dates Gems.
We have done it 3 times, twice we ended up paying more than booking early, other time(Xmas) no availability and ended up staying at home.
Also the ones we did pay OTT for were not routes we would do booking in avance, one was with TCD (before Virgin) into Sanford, other was from Gatwick(about 500 mile round trip)

All ours were in school hols, if you can go out in term time then maybe worth a risk but not something I would want to do if at all possible.

We are looking at the first 3 weeks of April (not school hols till the end)

I am worried about there being no availability. :scared1:

If its coming back at the end of Easter school holiday dates I would seriously look at booking early, whenever you see a reasonable price.
Also might not be so easy getting a 3 week trip last minute, best flight deals I see tend to be 1 week as many people prefer 2 weeks +.

We are flying out March 24th next year, and back on April 14th.

We will be booking our flights the day they are available and then I won't look at the prices at all, ever again!!

It's a big trip for us and we are happy with the prices that are available (if the one coming home 2 days before us if anything to go by) so we are just going to do it and get that portion of the trip sorted.

Many authorities now take the first two weeks of April as the school holiday, regardless of when easter is. most of South Yorkshire, Greater Manchester and I believe Leeds for example. Book early. The chances of discounts is very low. I paid £800 to go to Miami on 30th march. The week before it was £450.

Where do you want to stay on or off site? Personally I like to book early to get the pick pf hotels villas etc. I booked at exactly 11 months out and I was lucky to get a room at the boardwalk, that is for Feb 2011

I believe Leeds for example.

I didn't know that about Leeds. Thats crazy
Easter break Friday 1 April 2011 Monday 18 April 2011
Easter weekend Thursday 21 April 2011 Tuesday 26 April 2011

Yet here in Kirklees
last day Friday 15 April
1st day back Tuesday 3 May

Some families have a child in each LEA, makes it very difficult for them.
Wish we had Leeds dates, we could go away those dates, not possible with our dates in Kirklees as Easter Friday is right in the middle when I have to work.

Loads of LEAs are doing it. I work across lots of schools and authorities so it makes going away for easter difficult. This year I managed a week but I had to turn down work to do it.

It kinda makes sense to the schools. All the rest of the holidays are fairly set, except easter, so some years the spring term would be 6 and 6, some 5 and 6. One year it was 4 and 5!!!! The first half of the summer term could also be between 5 and 7 weeks. It makes planning very difficult, not just for the teachers but for senior teams and LEA officials who like to take data at even spaces. In South yorkshire, all the LEAs agreed on the same weeks for easter holidays to solve the issue you might have.

I'm fairly sure that Leeds have done the same as my friend broke up on the Thursday before Good Friday, instead of the Friday before which would have been the 'traditional' time.

We're going to the standardised school year here from next year. Meaning 'Easter' holidays will be fixed regardless of when Easter is. Next year we break up on the 1st April, then Easter is the week after we come back to school :)

:goodvibes

I wouldn't be able to take the pressure of waiting until the last minute. I couldn't even hold out until May for our October trip, lol.

Good luck if you try it though!

I wouldn't be able to take the pressure of waiting until the last minute. I couldn't even hold out until May for our October trip, lol.

Me neither. I booked my flights in April 09 for Aug 10 hols. I know I'm mad :)

But good luck if you do decide to book last minute. Let us know how it goes

Watch the school hol dates. I suspect all April will be peak as different schools do differnt things. DD's hol dates are first two weeks as easter is late then DD is off just the Fri and Mon bank holidays.

Gem just checked our easter hols from school next year and its from the 8th april till 26th April !!!
So you might wanna rethink as I know you are in same lea as we are so local airports will defo be on end of term holidays !!
Hope that helps x xx

If you are worried now, think about how worried you'll be closer the time. I don't think it's worth the stress!

I have to agree with this. Don't know that I could take the pressure of wondering if I might have to cancel. Even worse is to find no availability. :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter