Alone in Disneyland

newmouse2008

dis veteran
Greetings all!!! I find myself alone in California, sitting here in the hotel, watching it rain and needing someone to tell about my trip.......

The powers that be (Pete), sent me out on my first solo trip to Disneyland this week. My biggest concerns involved leaving my kids in hubby's hands for meals and homework and general stuff that normally falls into mom's hands.

Yesterday I arrived at the Disneyland Hotel and was ready to head out by noon. The rain arrived about the same time I did, so I hung around until mid afternoon before heading out for a walk to downtown Disney and beyond. The time change really wiped me out and I headed to bed early.

This morning I woke up early and headed over to Disneyland by 8am. I stopped by and picked up my ticket for the Halloween part on Friday on my way in.

Ok. let me stop here and say that I have been to Disney in Orlando dozens of times, many by myself for work. But coming here and walking into the park alone, knowing I would be here all day, not just a few hours was weird at first. no one to talk to, no one to share the experience with. My first stop was to find breakfast. Nancy had told me about the amazing french toast at Carnation Cafe on Main street. She was right!!! Cinnamon bread french toast was the perfect way to start the day. I was a little uneasy sitting at a 4 top alone while others waited. My young server checked on me often and was very nice, though I couldn't shake the feeling that the family next to me wondered why I was alone. How sad, the poor old lady, all alone in Disney. Everytime I glanced over they were smiling at me and and would wave or nod.

Half way up mainstreet I realized that I wasn't running to catch up to Pete or trying to figure out what direction my family wanted to go. This trip was all about me....... I slowed down and started thinking about what I wanted to do. the answer was easy... I wanted to walk at a nice easy pace, stop and check out the shops, watch the people, basically take my time and enjoy the details. Now we all know I am a weeper.... And it wasn't long before I found myself getting emotional about the history of it all, what it would have been like in the beginning, all of the families that have been here. Disneyland is so totally different than Disneyworld. It is so intimate here, small town. I could say the castle is little but I won't. Standing in front of it all I could think about was Walt Disney standing there years ago opening the park. Bigger is not always better, The sleeping Beauty walk thru was great (Stella would love it, just as much as I do). The cars running up and down mainstreet really make it feel like a small town. Walking around the park and going on the classic rides made this day very special. The Halloween decoration are everywhere and different than Orlando. The Haunted Mansion is unbelievable!! That alone is worth the trip. I went thru 4 times today and plan on going back tomorrow.

Mr. Toad, Dumbo,The Jungle cruise, the Tea cups and Small World, the Castle and the train ride all added to my morning adventures. The rain arrived shortly after lunch cutting my day short. I had a rainy walk back with my cute little Disney umbrella, stopping at the Jazz Kitchen for a quick lunch, before heading to my room to dry off, get a little work done and a short nap. The Mad Hatter and Goofy were in the crowded lobby making memories for the wet families while the waited for the rain to slow.

Room service brought my dinner (french onion soup and chocolate cake). The rain continues, Tuesday night and I am not doing homework, cooking dinner and telling Stella to get in the tub. Weird, but nice............ Just opened up my nightly "note to mommy" from Stella. I picture of a little girl sitting and talking to a squirrel. it reads.... I'll stop the world to be with you.........ok, time for a little cry........

T.

"Greetings all!!! I find myself alone in California, sitting here in the hotel, watching it rain and needing someone to tell about my trip......"

Don't worry Teresa, we are more than happy to listen to you talk about it!popcorn::

Disneyland in the Southern CA rain is the BEST! Nearly empty park, and gives you the time to really sit and soak (LOL no pun intended!) in the tiny details of Walts first park. If it's available to you, take the Walk in Walts Footsteps tour. Even a DL freak like me, learned a thing or 3 on that tour. Have fun T!!!

Yes, the castle is petite....but it's charming.

If you are stuck for something to do in the rain, walk over to the Grand Californian......DH and my FAVORITE Disney Resort.

Walk around, checkout all the hidden nooks...the big fireplace. Grab a bite at Storyteller's cafe.....did you know there is a Resort Tour of the Grand Cali?

When you walk through those lovely front doors...look behind you...they are lovely in the sunlight when closed.

You are at the Grand Cali! In the words of the great Katie Scarlett O'Hara....I'm pea green with envy!

Oh, Teresa it sounds like you are having a wonderful time. And just so you know I felt some of the same things you are feeling about DL, when I visited for the first time last year. I love WDW, but THERE REALLY IS something special about DL.

I hope the rest of your trip is enjoyable and look forward to the rest of your trip report.

Aww Teresa, you're bringing me back...to a few days ago. I just completed my first solo trip to any Disney park since I had kids. I was in Anaheim for a conference and got a 2-day hopper for last Thurs-Fri. I had a lot of fun and it was nice to do what I wanted to do (which for me seems to be the opposite of you. I moved quickly and got a ton of rides done including the ride my young kids won't go on. LOVED Tower of Terror!) But I also missed my family. I saw WOC and though oh N would like this part or oh S would have loved the Pixar Play. So I missed them but I enjoyed going at my own pace: leisurely meals, but quick getting across the park. Enjoy! My luggage came home overpacked with goodies for the kids.

Hi T. Just think of it as an opportunity to explore the parks your way. No one to follow or wait for them to decide what you should do next.

I hope the weather clears up and you can create lots of DL memories.

Heey T.

Your writing is sooo much fun to read, i love your trip reports, they have all the ingredients you need!!

Enjoy your time there it's a great way to explore the things at your pace and at your leisure.

I went to DL on my own in 2006 when i was at UCLA and i loved it.
At first it was weird like you said. I felt a bit alone wondering the Magic Kingdom. But then i also thought to myself i can do what ever i want when ever i want.
And that felt great, i just loved it being there all alone.
I also must say that i loved talking to the people around me i know you don't smoke but i do and i have had the most wonderful time and conversations when i was in the smoking area.

Love to see more of the trip report!!!

Hope you have fun T! Thinking about you ;)

Next time, give me a call you can pick me up on the way.

Teresa, I loved reading that. I'm glad you enjoyed your day by yourself. Moms become so consumed about making our famlies happy that sometimes we forget about ourselves, and I'm glad you could stop and enjoy a few moments for yourself.

And that lonely old lady sitting at the table by herself for breakfast is probably one of the most loved people in the world. :)

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

I loved reading this first thing in the morning....it made me smile....have a wonderful time.

Teresa, you are an excellent writer. I love reading your observations.

Your picture of the Haunted Mansion was great. Totally made me want to go there, just to see it.

Have a great time!

How wonderful that we get to read another live trip report - yours are great!

It sounds like you're finding your groove for your solo trip. :cheer2: I was there solo in 2009 and had a fab time touring at my commando pace. Then I'd slow down in the evenings and occupied a stray chair on one of the Fantasmic patio restaurants, and some couple or group always invited me to join their table. It was fun to hear of their day and surprising that they were mostly locals who came to just watch the show afterwork!

It's funny how the Dis is - that it can bring people together. My trip was only 18 months ago and at times I did miss not having someone to share the experience/laugh with. But because of the Dis'ers I've met, if I were to go to Disneyland now, I think I'd have west coast Dis friends I could meet there. :grouphug:

If you have time, you might want to ride on the SS Columbia - amazing to be on their Fantasmic prop - and awesome sightlines into the lands. There's a "museum" below the deck which shows the historical living conditions but be sure you stay on the deck until the cannon goes off so you don't miss seeing the BOOM! pirate:

Looking fwd to your updates - have a fab rest of your trip! :goodvibes

cheers,
:flower3:

I love your trip report so far, teresa! I'm going to DL in december and will have quite a lot of time alone in the park as my sister will be attending a conference during our stay. I extra glad you mentioned riding the haunted mansion 4 times....I really hadn't thought about the fact that when I'm by myself I can just ride the same thing over and over, without feeling the need to move on for the group's sake....love it!

Hi Theresa,

I too went to Disneyland without my family after a conference and found it so strange and a little sad to be there by myself. But one of the nicest things is to take it slow and do the parks at your own pace. Additionally, I don't know how much time you have but I've always wanted to do the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour which I couldn't have done with the kids (I've got a 7 and 4 year old).

Hope you have a great trip and love to read your reports so keep up the good work. We're more than happy to "listen". :thumbsup2

That picture Stella drew for you was adorable. I saw in posted on FB. Cutest pic, EVAH! I would love to be in DL all by myself, for at least a day or so, but I would find myself wanting to share my experiences. Have you thought of a Twitter account? You could Tweet during the day and all your followers could Tweet back. That might make you feel less lonely and you could get instant feedback on what you are doing. Sort of like touring the park with 100s of friends in your pocket!

My guilt aside, I'd love to spend a day or two alone at a Disney park. there is so much I miss because of the kids. Enjoy it, feel a little guilty for doing your own thing and then you can feel a little guilty for not sharing it with the family.

And those people at breakfast weren't looking and smiling at you because they felt sorry for you. I'm sure they were saying to each other, "Is that Teresa from The Dis? You go say 'Hi' first." "No, you go!" "Maybe she'll come over and sit with us!" And of course, "I can't wait until I tell everyone I had breakfast right next to someone "famous"!" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter