Almost bought K-r until B&H rep shot me down...

Again i dont know if you have ever been there but you may want to check out www.pentaxforums.com there is a whole section dedicated to the K-R and there are also plenty of pictures taken with the camera posted there as well.

I guess that the sales rep expressed his own opinion as fact... It happens everyday, everywhere, including here on this forum by those loyal to their brand.

OP just place your order, this sales rep obviously has no clue. If he knew what he was talking about he would have recommended a Canon.

Insert smilie of your choice here--->

Wow, intereesting thread, if he could of based his opinion on some fact it may have ben worth a damn! Lol, I have the Kr and Kx, Kr has greatly imroved on the Kx, and I love mine, I dont find it to have ny focusing issues... actually neither of them do!

Thanx everyone I hope to have a new K-r by next week and I will have to let you know what I think. I used my brothers D3100 last night and really dislike that to change the iso you have to go into the menu. It just takes too long.

Thanx everyone I hope to have a new K-r by next week and I will have to let you know what I think. I used my brothers D3100 last night and really dislike that to change the iso you have to go into the menu. It just takes too long.

Not trying to change your mind...you have enough of that :) Just wanted to point out (and maybe help your brother) that on my D5000 there is a timer/fn button that you can very easily change from activating the timer to changing the ISO. Since I rarely use the time, this works really well for me. It is located next to the flash button, can change on the fly very easily.

I called today wanting to order the K-r after debating it with the D5100. The rep said dont buy the K-r because Nikon and Canon are in the business of selling cameras and Pentax is not. He said the D5100 beats it hands down. I wanted to buy the K-r and a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Anyway now I dont know what to do. I am nervous about the K-r because I cant get one locally and I have never seen one in person. The D5100 is $200 more that I was wanting to put towards a better lens for the K-r. I just sold a T2i and need to pick up another camera fast....
:rotfl2: :lmao: Gee, and I thought that Canon was in the business of selling copiers, scanners, printers, projectors, paper, etc... Somehow I suspect that the companies that sell cameras primarily (Nikon, Pentax, Olympus) are more concerned with making sure that they are actually selling cameras! To be fair, Pentax does make a couple industrial products, like portable printers and medical imaging stuff, but I think it's safe to say that cameras are their primary product. Market share is not so important as turning a profit, and they've been doing quite well lately. I wonder what the salesmen would tell you if you were considering a Pentax 645D?!?

You may want to check your local Craigslist and see if anyone is selling a similar Pentax, if you want to get the feel for one... they may be OK with you coming and looking at it at least. There's a K-x on our local CL at the moment, which is very, very similar to the K-r. Perhaps there might be a local photo club, too, with a similar camera...

I already purchased the D5100 and let me tell you I love it. Just kit lens vs kit lens the D5100 wins hands down. I cant believe how sharp this camera lens is out of the box. I also just ordered the 35mm f1.8 so I cant wait to get it and try it out. Thanx for all the help everyone.

I already purchased the D5100 and let me tell you I love it. Just kit lens vs kit lens the D5100 wins hands down. I cant believe how sharp this camera lens is out of the box. I also just ordered the 35mm f1.8 so I cant wait to get it and try it out. Thanx for all the help everyone.

So, in the end, the B&H guy got to you, didn't he? ;)

This is why I wish Pentax had not pulled out of the in store sales so much. Seeing is believing! For someone that is going to use a kit lens, the Pentax one beats Canon and Nikon without many exceptions. The simple fact the the front element rotates on the Nikon and Canon ones and not on Pentax is usually enough. Try using a petal lens hood or filter that rotates (circular polarizer, star, etc) and you will understand what I mean. The build quality is also sturdier, but I have heard that Nikon made improvements there. The optical quality is really all about the same among all brands.

Congratulations and enjoy your new camera. I believe the 5100 has the same sensor as the Nikon 7000 and Pentax K5, all of which have been getting rave reviews. Good luck, have fun and don't forget to post some images!

Congratulations and enjoy your new camera. I believe the 5100 has the same sensor as the Nikon 7000 and Pentax K5, all of which have been getting rave reviews. Good luck, have fun and don't forget to post some images!

Yep...that would be the Sony one from the A580/A55, which is in all of the cameras you mentioned above. It seems to be about the best APS-C sensor yet tested - the 14MP last-gen version was already excellent, but the 16MP seems to have actually managed to produce excellent IQ and improved DR and high ISO detail and lack of noise despite the MP gain. Sony's been on a nice run with APS-C sensors lately...though as mentioned they're all pretty good nowadays with Canon's 60D sensor doing a fine job with similar abilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter