Almost August WISH Challenge-everyone welcome!

sjrec

DIS Veteran
Welcome to our August WISH challenge!

If you are new to the group, we set monthly goals for ourselves and encourage one another to keep on track.

We will stick with our weekly format-

Motivation Monday
Topic Tuesday
Woohoo Wednesday
Thankful Thursday
Free for All Friday

Just found this group and I love :love: the idea.
I leave for WDW in 40 days and am tremendously out of shape. If I don't start walking and moving daily I will end up cancelling my trip. THAT's my motivation.
My goal is walking the treadmill at a comfortable pace daily as follows:

15 minutes for 7 days.
20 minutes for 7 days,
25 for 7 days
30 for 7 days
40 for 7 days
45 for 5 days

Also stick within 1250 calories a day. Dr says it's safe for me with my metabolism and weight. Focus on protein, fruits and veggies and water.

:welcome:famsen! We are happy to have you join us!

As a quick intro, I am sjrec, a retired librarian from south central pa. We have posters from all ages from all over the world! Again, welcome!

I am still maintaining my weight, but need to focus on upping my activity level. It’s hot! So I have slacked off a bit.

This week I will get out at least 5x and walk. I have been very motivated cooking wise lately, so that has helped. I will share a recipe I tried last week that we loved-

https://tasty.co/recipe/one-pan-chicken-sausage-veggies
I added some sliced sweet onion and some sliced small heirloom tomatoes. Then I sprinkled a garlic and herb seasoning over everything. It is honestly ready in 15 minutes and only takes about 20 to prep.

I leave for WDW in 40 days and am tremendously out of shape. If I don't start walking and moving daily I will end up cancelling my trip. THAT's my motivation.

15 minutes for 7 days.
20 minutes for 7 days,
25 for 7 days
30 for 7 days
40 for 7 days
45 for 5 days

Also stick within 1250 calories a day. Dr says it's safe for me with my metabolism and weight. Focus on protein, fruits and veggies and water.
Welcome!

Quick Intro - I'm Lizanne living in (currently) sunny Seattle. Long time WDW fan and long time overweight person... with over weight being what is physically uncomfortable/unhealthy for me, not the unhealthy/unrealistic societal definition of what I "should" weight.

My motivation this week:

The part of my work project that was stalled has spun up again, so today I need to dig in and get a lot of stuff done. I'll be spending most of August down in the Los Angeles area, while we do onsite testing. It's going to be a bit of a challenge figuring out eating while I'm traveling so much, and trying to stay away from the stuff I now know I'm allergic to.

I do really have my first appointment with the new doctor tomorrow. This appointment is getting background/history mapped out. And I do really have my Rolfing appointment on Wednesday, which I'm hoping will help with my swollen ankles/feet, as I'm pretty sure it's a circulation thing... they've been bothering me so much that once again, I haven't gotten my walking goals in.

It was a lovely, sunny low key weekend, but I did get some stuff done... I organized the little craft/bedroom, and by organize I mean shoved a bunch of stuff back in to the closet. I did do the weekend laundry, and continued my streak of washing dishes every day... it's kind of fun to just have a couple dishes to do instead of a pile that's built up. Other than that, just running around doing errands enjoying the summery weather.

Happy Monday everyone!

Welcome @famsen! I joined in last month and am loving this community to help keep me on track. I'm a mom of two (almost 3 &1) , still on mat leave, hoping to go back to work soon. Living on the beautiful west coast in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I had a good weekend. Spent Saturday on the island with my best friend. I did indulge, and not stay keto, but it was a conscious choice and I don't regret it. Went for a walk to a park and had a picnic with the family yesterday. Also did about 6 loads of laundry... that still need to be put away... I HATE putting away laundry, blah! Back to proper healthy eating and OMAD today. I'm going to meet my dad at the mall, get some groceries and hopefully take the kidlettes to a park.

I have a gym membership I started a few months ago... went for a week and it's been sitting collecting dust like they usually do. So I want to start using it. My goal is to use it 3 times per week all month. Hopefully having to report on it will make me get off my butt and go.

Happy Monday! Let's have a great week!

There are so many tools out there to help us achieve our healthy lifestyle goals. Equipment, books, websites, blogs, various weight loss programs.

What tool has helped or is helping you in your journey?

I

I have discovered several websites that have helped me along the way-especially food wise. I like to cook and am always looking for new recipes. Skinny taste.com and Goodful are two of my favorites. I thought I would research some new ones for us to check out and came across this article-

https://www.healthline.com/health/best-healthy-living-blogs
I plan to look through them this week for motivation-I already bookmarked Delish Knowledge. We’re not vegetarian, but try to eat meatless several times a week.

Have a great Tuesday!

There are so many tools out there to help us achieve our healthy lifestyle goals. Equipment, books, websites, blogs, various weight loss programs.

I

Podcasts and audobooks. From motivatoin to entertainment for my walks. Books the Diet Fix would be the main one. Podcasts Half Size Me and Phit and phat
Cookbooks focusing on lighter meals as well as magazines as slimming world (UK) and WW. I am also fan of Skinnytaste and phinchofnom
http://pinchofnom.com/recipe/index/hair bikers - I have flitered on their lighter meals
http://www.hairybikers.com/recipes?...iry-dieters&tv-show=the-hairy-dieters#recipesLes mills online subsciption. Love being able to do bodybalance at home when it's busy
Weighing scale - for food and bathroom scale
Good food processor - for chopping veg

I'm back from vacation! Count me in for another month!
I'm Cristin, a kindergarten teacher, wife to a UPS driver, mother of 15 year-old twins and a 10 year-old black lab, and all-around Disney-lover! My goals for this month are to lose my recently gained vacation weight (about 6 pounds). I plan to do this by weekly food planning/prep and daily exercise. I will try to stay within 1200-1600 calories per day, exercise 30 minutes per day, and track steps/miles using my AppleWatch for a daily average of 5 miles per day. I am also in the Walk to Disney forum with a goal to "walk to Disney's Vero Beach" (approximately 1092 miles) by February.

https://www.nextavenue.org/motivation-better-health/
Here’s a nice little article that reminds us it’s never to late to make changes to achieve a healthier lifestyle-and that small changes make a difference!

What changes are you going to focus on to achieve your goals?
This was a great article! I can totally relate (although I'm not 71!) But I really never thought I would lose the weight. And then I did. I also started with My Fitness Pal. Now I use what I have learned from My Fitness Pal as well as the 21-Day Fix to eat healthy and reasonable portions MOST OF THE TIME. I still have my slip-ups or off days (or whole vacations of eating poorly). But I know what I need to do to lose or maintain the weight. And it's the intrinsic motivation that gets me started and the extrinsic motivation that keeps me going. And it always comes at the perfect time when I feel like I'm in a slump or it's just not working that someone gives me a really nice compliment and picks me back up!

15 minutes for 7 days.
20 minutes for 7 days,
25 for 7 days
30 for 7 days
40 for 7 days
45 for 5 days

:welcome:
Welcome to the group @famsen! And congrats on the upcoming Disney trip! I just got back and I walked an average of 9 miles a day while I was there. So working on building up your walking endurance before your trip is a great idea! And a Disney trip is always a great motivator!!!

I
My Fitness Pal app really helped me get started. Beachbody.com has also been a great tool for me. Their on demand subscription has helped me mix-up my workouts. I'm doing dancing, cardio, weighlifting, etc. So I'm able to choose something I'm in the mood for that day...or choose to follow a program from beginning to end. I have found this forum to help me stay accountable and also use it as a self-reflection time. I'm also used Hello Fresh to introduce me to new food recipes. I skip most weeks and probably only actually order from them once a month. But it has helped me when I feel like I'm stuck in a rut with my meals. They aren't always low-calorie or the most healthy meals, but I can usually find a way to make it work for me. I definitely use the bathroom scale to help me stay on track. I don't completely obsess over the number, but just try to keep myself in check. But I have been meaning to get a food scale for the kitchen. Thanks for the reminder @HappyGrape ! But probably the tool I use most often is my AppleWatch (used to be my Fitbit). They both allowed me an easy way to check progress towards my exercise goal. With my AppleWatch, I try to make sure I "close the circles" each day, which means 550 calories burned, 30 minutes of exercise and moving around for at lease one minute during 12 different hours a day. And it gives e reminders to stand if I've been sitting too long, which is helpful!

Last edited:

I use Instagram and Reddit communities as great tools for motivation and recipes. The ideas I see on instagram for food are helpful, especially when I may have a craving and I can find a way to make it keto. Both Reddit and Instagram are also great for motivation and seeing others progress which really propels me forward. I have a note on my phone with progress photos and lists of my weights by date to help keep track and motivate me.

I also watch a decent amount of youtube videos. Dr Ken Berry (his wife Neisha as well) and Dr Eric Berg have great videos. Diet Doctor is a great website with loads of great information, and I have read a couple of Dr Jason Fung's books and research papers. I like to have all the information and make sure I'm on the right track and being as healthy as possible.

Finally my glucometer is one of my favourite tools. I love seeing perfect numbers when I take my glucose and ketones in the morning, and knowing how my body reacts to certain foods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!