Allegiant Credit Card worth it?

MamaBear12

Mouseketeer
Our local airport has direct Allegiant Air flights to 3 locations in FL, plus Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Las Vegas. We regularly travel to Orlando every 12-18 months, occasionally 2x in a year, and fly Allegiant. We almost always rent a car for our Orlando trips and I'm comfortable booking the hotel through Allegiant for shorter trips, so I think we would take advantage of the "buy one, get one free" airfare. We would use the card exclusively for Allegiant travel though, only using it to book airfare/packages through Allegiant, probably 1-2x a year. I think that the bonus introductory miles (15,000), 3x rewards on Allegiant bookings, and BOGO airfare make the $59 annual fee worth it, but I'm wondering what those with experience using the card or other travel rewards cards think. Are there limitations to the BOGO, blackouts, etc.?

For travel we currently use our Costco card (3x rewards on ALL travel), but plan to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve at some point to maximize points with the Chase Freedom and Freedom Unlimited and book travel through that (though we couldn't book Allegiant flights with our points, just get the 3x rewards). All advice and experience welcome. Thanks!

Have you read about the safety issues with Allegiant? There was a whole story on 60 minutes last year- very scary!

They also only fly certain days of the week to some locations. If your flight cancelled (which they like to do) you are stuck. We flew once and never again. Seats horribly uncomfortable. They nickel and dime you. My husband sat next to a man who flew frequently on them. Once plane had issues and they brought in a new plane - except instead of 3 seats on each side it had 2 on each side. All people in middle seats were delayed a couple days!

If you haven’t flown read reviews here and online. Just a heads up.

Agree with PP, Allegiant Air is notorious for mechanical problems and delays. Our friends bought cheap tickets from ABQ to Las Vegas. They got to LV delayed a few hours. They came home one day later than scheduled. Never again. You better research the company before extending your credit line to something that will not produce what you want.

Have you read about the safety issues with Allegiant? There was a whole story on 60 minutes last year- very scary!

They also only fly certain days of the week to some locations. If your flight cancelled (which they like to do) you are stuck. We flew once and never again. Seats horribly uncomfortable. They nickel and dime you. My husband sat next to a man who flew frequently on them. Once plane had issues and they brought in a new plane - except instead of 3 seats on each side it had 2 on each side. All people in middle seats were delayed a couple days!

If you haven’t flown read reviews here and online. Just a heads up.

Agree with PP, Allegiant Air is notorious for mechanical problems and delays. Our friends bought cheap tickets from ABQ to Las Vegas. They got to LV delayed a few hours. They came home one day later than scheduled. Never again. You better research the company before extending your credit line to something that will not produce what you want.

I have flown with them and have always had a good experience. I also researched the 60-min interview prior to flying with them in Dec and it’s my understanding that the main source of that 60-min interview was a former Allegiant pilot who had been fired for unnecessarily evacuating a plane, so a little bias there. They’ve never had fatalities, which can’t be said of many other popular airlines, though admittedly they are a newer airline. Also, as of November they have retired all their older planes that were more inclined to maintenance issues. And statistically, a direct flight is safer than two flights, which is safer than driving, and we’re limited in the airlines that fly directly to certain locations, so we’re comfortable flying with them at this point. We also live in the Midwest so weather delays impacting all airlines can be the norm certain times of the year.

I have flown with them and have always had a good experience. I also researched the 60-min interview prior to flying with them in Dec and it’s my understanding that the main source of that 60-min interview was a former Allegiant pilot who had been fired for unnecessarily evacuating a plane, so a little bias there. They’ve never had fatalities, which can’t be said of many other popular airlines, though admittedly they are a newer airline. Also, as of November they have retired all their older planes that were more inclined to maintenance issues. And statistically, a direct flight is safer than two flights, which is safer than driving, and we’re limited in the airlines that fly directly to certain locations, so we’re comfortable flying with them at this point. We also live in the Midwest so weather delays impacting all airlines can be the norm certain times of the year.

That’s great you have had no issues! My son was delayed by Allegiant December 2017 in Indy for 6 hours...because they had no oxygen to refill a tank. They boarded them, knowing this was the case. Had them get off the plane - Allegiant had to get oxygen from Cincinnati and then finally flew out. Honestly I don’t know how the flight crew was able to fly since it was such a long flight to Phoenix-

Good luck and fly what you like. Just sharing information!

Just wanted to add that on our recent trip we did have to land at a different airport due to fog (not the airlines fault). We were able to change our rental car reservation, so only a small inconvenience. Allegiant proceeded to refund us an amount the equivalent of almost two of the round trip tickets we had purchased to compensate for our “inconvenience.” They didn’t have to, but they did. Yes, they “nickle and dime” you, but if you go in understanding their model, it’s not bad. We saved time and money flying direct with them as opposed to connecting flights, layover, and more expensive tickets flying with a larger commercial airline.

That’s great you have had no issues! My son was delayed by Allegiant December 2017 in Indy for 6 hours...because they had no oxygen to refill a tank. They boarded them, knowing this was the case. Had them get off the plane - Allegiant had to get oxygen from Cincinnati and then finally flew out. Honestly I don’t know how the flight crew was able to fly since it was such a long flight to Phoenix-

Good luck and fly what you like. Just sharing information!
Wow! That’s crazy! Maybe the negative press from the 60-min segment last year has them upping their game now.

Just wanted to add that on our recent trip we did have to land at a different airport due to fog (not the airlines fault). We were able to change our rental car reservation, so only a small inconvenience. Allegiant proceeded to refund us an amount the equivalent of almost two of the round trip tickets we had purchased to compensate for our “inconvenience.” They didn’t have to, but they did. Yes, they “nickle and dime” you, but if you go in understanding their model, it’s not bad. We saved time and money flying direct with them as opposed to connecting flights, layover, and more expensive tickets flying with a larger commercial airline.

I like to fly Frontier to Orlando for the same reasons - cheap and nonstop. I don't want to make a stop on a 2 hour flight if I can avoid it.

Regarding the credit card, you might consider the Barclays Arrival+ and use the points you would earn with it for your Allegiant flights. You earn 2 points for every dollar spent and then you can erase your travel charges, so you can use for the rental car, hotel, etc. as well.

This would be a much more flexible card for you - $89 annual fee. Right now there is a 70,000 point sign up offer and that equates to $700 in free travel.

I like to fly Frontier to Orlando for the same reasons - cheap and nonstop. I don't want to make a stop on a 2 hour flight if I can avoid it.

Regarding the credit card, you might consider the Barclays Arrival+ and use the points you would earn with it for your Allegiant flights. You earn 2 points for every dollar spent and then you can erase your travel charges, so you can use for the rental car, hotel, etc. as well.

This would be a much more flexible card for you - $89 annual fee. Right now there is a 70,000 point sign up offer and that equates to $700 in free travel.
We have the Barclay Arrival + Master Card and love it. Use it for everything other than groceries (AmEx Blue cash back gives 6%). We've used the + for airline tickets and hotels. Great card and so versatile for our vacation needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter