ALL BEACHES CLOSED

HopperFan

"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."
CNN just announced WDW is closing all beaches. No other info.

News reports now are that Walt Disney World has closed all beaches, ferry boats, and marinas until future notice "in an abundance of caution." Such a sad situation. Still praying for the boy.

News reports now are that Walt Disney World has closed all beaches, ferry boats, and marinas until future notice "in an abundance of caution." Such a sad situation. Still praying for the boy.

Are you sure about the ferry boats? I can't imagine the monorails handling all of the MK traffic without the ferries.

Are you sure about the ferry boats? I can't imagine the monorails handling all of the MK traffic without the ferries.

Someone on another thread who is at Disney right now said the ferry boat was closed this morning...so I guess the monorail is the only thing going into MK...But maybe Disney decided to have some extra bus tranport from TTC to MK just to help the overflow of people trying to get to MK. That would make the most sense in my mind

Someone on another thread who is at Disney right now said the ferry boat was closed this morning...so I guess the monorail is the only thing going into MK...But maybe Disney decided to have some extra bus tranport from TTC to MK just to help the overflow of people trying to get to MK. That would make the most sense in my mind

I would assume there are buses at TTC taking people to MK.

Quite honestly I'm a little surprised the monorail is even open.

The ferry is crossing the main search area. That will likely be closed until the find the body or the search ends.

I would assume there are buses at TTC taking people to MK.

Quite honestly I'm a little surprised the monorail is even open.

I'm surprised as well, bc you can see everything that goes on in that lagoon from the monorail! Honestly if I was there right now and I was planning on MK for the day I would more than likely change my plans and go to another park. Its just way too heartbreaking to see all that going on. And then imagine if they do recover a body and you are on the monorail, how the heck do you explain that to your kids...I am just so upset and sick to my stomach over this whole thing...and they said they found 4 gators during the night and they were all killed and sliced open, but none looked like the guilty party...in my mind they must of been decent size gators to even be labeled a suspect, so now you have more than 4 gators of decent size that were in that lake...that quite frankly is very terrifying! I mean the smaller gators I can see being ok, to live in and around the area, but when they get to be of a certain size in my mind they truly become a threat. Now I know Disney deals with them the best that they can, but in the back of my mind I am wondering if cutbacks had anything to do with the large gators in the lagoon...I mean I don't know much about gators but to me it seems like having more than 4 decent size gators in a touristy area can be a big problem. I love Disney and I don't normally go on the beaches but this whole incident has made me rethink resort choices for the future. I am just incredibly in shock right now and my prayers are with the family, I can't even begin to imagine what they might be going through right now.

I'm surprised as well, bc you can see everything that goes on in that lagoon from the monorail! Honestly if I was there right now and I was planning on MK for the day I would more than likely change my plans and go to another park. Its just way too heartbreaking to see all that going on. And then imagine if they do recover a body and you are on the monorail, how the heck do you explain that to your kids...I am just so upset and sick to my stomach over this whole thing...and they said they found 4 gators during the night and they were all killed and sliced open, but none looked like the guilty party...in my mind they must of been decent size gators to even be labeled a suspect, so now you have more than 4 gators of decent size that were in that lake...that quite frankly is very terrifying! I mean the smaller gators I can see being ok, to live in and around the area, but when they get to be of a certain size in my mind they truly become a threat. Now I know Disney deals with them the best that they can, but in the back of my mind I am wondering if cutbacks had anything to do with the large gators in the lagoon...I mean I don't know much about gators but to me it seems like having more than 4 decent size gators in a touristy area can be a big problem. I love Disney and I don't normally go on the beaches but this whole incident has made me rethink resort choices for the future. I am just incredibly in shock right now and my prayers are with the family, I can't even begin to imagine what they might be going through right now.
You are really over reacting. First, this is a horrible accident but accidents happen each and every day. How would you address your kids should you pass a car accident with fatalities? How do you put the evening news in perspective for your kids? As for the alligators, come on. The lake is huge and is located in the middle of swamp and woodlands. There is no way anyone can effectively control the numbers and sizes of the Gators in an area this size. I'm not trying to come across as mean, but this is no different than a shark attack. It's a horrible accident, but I can't see how anyone is at fault.

You are really over reacting. First, this is a horrible accident but accidents happen each and every day. How would you address your kids should you pass a car accident with fatalities? How do you put the evening news in perspective for your kids? As for the alligators, come on. The lake is huge and is located in the middle of swamp and woodlands. There is no way anyone can effectively control the numbers and sizes of the Gators in an area this size. I'm not trying to come across as mean, but this is no different than a shark attack. It's a horrible accident, but I can't see how anyone is at fault.

I don't think anyone is at fault and that this is just a tragic accident, but I guess bc I am a northerner I don't really get the whole "gators are as common as feral cats and rats in NY". Cats and Rats in NY can't kill a 2yr old child like a gator can. Its just very very shocking to hear this and my heart really goes out to that family. Also comparing what you would say seeing a car crash w/ fatalities to a toddler getting eaten by an alligator are totally different things...again being from the north I have no experience with gators, but car crashes w/ fatalities is totally different than getting eaten by an alligator. Also even though I live in NJ we rarely ever go to the beach, so shark attacks to me also seem like a foreign concept...Anyways I pray they can recover something soon so this poor family can have some sort of closure

I don't think anyone is at fault and that this is just a tragic accident, but I guess bc I am a northerner I don't really get the whole "gators are as common as feral cats and rats in NY". Cats and Rats in NY can't kill a 2yr old child like a gator can. Its just very very shocking to hear this and my heart really goes out to that family. Also comparing what you would say seeing a car crash w/ fatalities to a toddler getting eaten by an alligator are totally different things...again being from the north I have no experience with gators, but car crashes w/ fatalities is totally different than getting eaten by an alligator. Also even though I live in NJ we rarely ever go to the beach, so shark attacks to me also seem like a foreign concept...Anyways I pray they can recover something soon so this poor family can have some sort of closure
My response was more directed to your comment that the monorail be closed and how you could see everything from it. That was why I compared it to a car accident. If a recovery were made and if it were in a site line of the monorail than yes they should close it, but not until then. You cannot shut down all boats and the monorail during the busiest time of year.

There is water at every resort. Lakes and waterways. If you plan to change resorts due to water you will be hard pressed to do so anywhere in that area.

There is water at every resort. Lakes and waterways. If you plan to change resorts due to water you will be hard pressed to do so anywhere in that area.
There is some sort of water feature at practically every resort in the Disney area.

There is some sort of water feature at practically every resort in the Disney area.

Yes. I understand being upset about this tragedy. It is a heatbreak that no one would have thought could occur while relaxing under the stars on a lovely Summer evening. I do not think it makes any kind of good sense to make knee jerk reactions, not with esoteric choices because of water, fences because they will make us "feel" safer", or signs that detail every kind of wildlife threat that can occur in Central Fl.

The fact that these bodies of water on WDW property are called beaches is disturbing and misleading. Even more disturbing is the lack of signage warning guests that alligators may be lurking in the waters. Despite the "no swimming signs," I've read ignorant reviews from guests complaining about not being able to swim in the lakes.

I would never even think to dip my pinkie toe into these dirty lakes!!! There is a reason why Peter Werner concludes the DISUnplugged Podcast shows with his famous words "stay away from the damn lakes!" And now, the world is going to know why!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter