All about the Autotrain

We booked for Thanksgiving Day as point wise is was 1/3 the cost that the day after was. So, we'll eat Thanksgiving dinner on the train and our grown sons (and DDILs) can eat with their in-laws. We arrive on Friday, cruise on Sunday for two weeks out of PC, spend 5 nights at Shades of Green at WDW and return on the 17 Dec train. We'll be making those reservations on 17 Jan. We're doing a bedroom both directions on points.

We booked our return for 17 Dec and got the bedroom for the same amount of points as our trip down on Thanksgiving Day. Where is everyone? I know people have been taking the train.

In case anyone is thinking about taking the autotrain in the near future they have dropped the price on the southbound trip until March 12 to one $9 !! ( they did drop the car price though). Even so, a pretty good deal.

In case anyone is thinking about taking the autotrain in the near future they have dropped the price on the southbound trip until March 12 to one $9 !! ( they did drop the car price though). Even so, a pretty good deal.
Unfortunately it is only one way. I did a mock booking for 2 roommettes... about $525 for 4 people and car. Return trip over $1600. This is understandable since snow birds will be returning and I think they are still running the train at limited capacity.

We just booked the autotrain roundtrip for August. We are a family of 5 which means we need to book over the phone if we want rooms instead of coach. We called the regular Amtrak autotrain number to book since it was after 8pm and the member rewards line was closed. We got a quote but realized we were a few hundred points shy so we said we would purchase the points online and call back (can only purchase points over the phone via the member rewards line which was closed). When we called back a few minutes later a different rep told us we would need 7,000 more points than what we were originally quoted! We decided to wait and call the member rewards line the next day and when we did we were given the original, lower quote thankfully. So just a word of warning, if you have Amtrak rewards and you are using points, don't book on the phone with the regular Amtrak folks as there's a chace they can make a mistake.

We've taken the autotrain 3 or 4 times before but always in a family bedroom. This time we booked a bedroom and a roomette and we were able to get them on the same car and same floor. We'll let our girls (10 & 13) primarily hang out in the roomette and we'll be in the bedroom with our son (7) but we'll switch it up every once in awhile so my son can feel independent too. We booked the same configuration going home. We also booked priority offloading as we were once one of the last cars off the autotrain and I don't want to wait around for an extra hour or 2 to start our vacation!

We just booked the autotrain roundtrip for August. We are a family of 5 which means we need to book over the phone if we want rooms instead of coach. We called the regular Amtrak autotrain number to book since it was after 8pm and the member rewards line was closed. We got a quote but realized we were a few hundred points shy so we said we would purchase the points online and call back (can only purchase points over the phone via the member rewards line which was closed). When we called back a few minutes later a different rep told us we would need 7,000 more points than what we were originally quoted! We decided to wait and call the member rewards line the next day and when we did we were given the original, lower quote thankfully. So just a word of warning, if you have Amtrak rewards and you are using points, don't book on the phone with the regular Amtrak folks as there's a chace they can make a mistake.

We've taken the autotrain 3 or 4 times before but always in a family bedroom. This time we booked a bedroom and a roomette and we were able to get them on the same car and same floor. We'll let our girls (10 & 13) primarily hang out in the roomette and we'll be in the bedroom with our son (7) but we'll switch it up every once in awhile so my son can feel independent too. We booked the same configuration going home. We also booked priority offloading as we were once one of the last cars off the autotrain and I don't want to wait around for an extra hour or 2 to start our vacation!

We only book through the rewards phone number. If you are a rewards member, it's the only way to do it and know everything will be handled correctly.

Has anyone ridden the train lately? Thinking about this versus driving with 3 kids but we would be doing coach and just not sure about sleeping with masks on.

We came back north on the auto train two weeks ago and we were in coach. Sleeping with the masks wasn’t too bad and nobody came round to check up on you. Several announcements about masking up however. I actually pulled my mask up to cover my mouth and eyes so it worked fine for sleeping. There were several rows between people so passengers were spread out . The mask wasn’t the problem sleeping, people that don’t use earbuds or use phones on speaker are a bigger detriment to sleeping than a mask.

Wow was just looking to book a room for our trip in October and the prices are really high! Does anyone know if they typically have any sales for mid to late October?

Wow was just looking to book a room for our trip in October and the prices are really high! Does anyone know if they typically have any sales for mid to late October?
Going south I doubt there will be any sales as that train will fill up in October with snowbirds. South is usually more expensive than north in the fall because of snowbirds. We took the autotrain a few years ago in October, there were only 2 other families with children in the entire station, the rest were senior citizens.

Going south I doubt there will be any sales as that train will fill up in October with snowbirds. South is usually more expensive than north in the fall because of snowbirds. We took the autotrain a few years ago in October, there were only 2 other families with children in the entire station, the rest were senior citizens.
We always go in Oct/Nov timeframe and it's not all senior citizens. We're currently 61 and 63 and have been taking the train every couple of years for 16 years. The majority are snowbirds/seniors, but we've seen multiple families and empty nesters in their 40's and 50's. There's just more families during summer and other school breaks and more snowbirds in the fall and spring. As for sales, it depends on demand. We use miles usually and going south in the fall and north in the spring will always cost more, even in miles because the demand is so high. In the summer, there are sales because they want to fill up the train. Snowbirds want their cars and don't always want to drive. I just love taking the train.

I really appreciate all the info on this thread but have not read all 197 pages. We have taken the auto train several 3-4 times over the past 15 years but always in a roomette or bedroom. DH and I are planning to try the coach in October and I have a couple of questions.

How much space is there at the seat for personal items and is there an overhead bin like on a plane? We would want to bring pillows, light blanket, backpack each, and maybe a small cooler for dinner, drinks, and snacks. Is there a limit, like on planes, as to how much carry on you can bring?

I know things have changed since covid but appreciate any personal experiences.

There is an overhead and plenty of room in coach seats to bring your luggage and have it in front of you. We have done this (another time, we were all asked to "check it in". We saw small soft coolers, carryons, etc. It was years ago.

I really appreciate all the info on this thread but have not read all 197 pages. We have taken the auto train several 3-4 times over the past 15 years but always in a roomette or bedroom. DH and I are planning to try the coach in October and I have a couple of questions.

How much space is there at the seat for personal items and is there an overhead bin like on a plane? We would want to bring pillows, light blanket, backpack each, and maybe a small cooler for dinner, drinks, and snacks. Is there a limit, like on planes, as to how much carry on you can bring?

I know things have changed since covid but appreciate any personal experiences.
Our first 3 trips were in coach. Once we discovered roomettes and bedrooms, especially bedrooms, coach ended. There are overhead racks. You can bring what you listed. Plenty of people bring their own pillows. The seats are larger than most first class airline seats. I always brought my laptop bag and a small cooler bag as well as another bag with snacks. DH brings his laptop bag and we just put them in the overhead unless we need something. The racks are open. You can read more on the Amtrak site. Most people don't bring much since their luggage is in their vehicle. There are also two outlets under the window.

@bdcp, thank you for the info. We have actually taken the autotrain 3 or 4 times and stayed in a roomette several times and a bedroom once. Contemplating a cross country train trip and wondered how we'd do in coach so thought we'd try it.

@bdcp, thank you for the info. We have actually taken the autotrain 3 or 4 times and stayed in a roomette several times and a bedroom once. Contemplating a cross country train trip and wondered how we'd do in coach so thought we'd try it.

We did coach several times going to and from FL. However, it was usually during times when the trains were not full and we could spread out into other seats. We usually enjoyed the time. The one time I picked my son up from college down south, and we drove down to Universal Studios. Diagon Alley was relatively new and since we were, sort of, in the neighborhood, thought it would be a nice little vacation. We took the train back and it was packed. This was second week of May. Snow birds are real! :duck: Also, the train broke down twice on the return trip and we were probably delayed by about 6 hours. It was a positively horrendous experience for us in coach and we haven't been since.

DH plans on retiring in a few years, and I have thought I would like to take a train across the country. Just the 2 of us. So if you do so, please post about it. I would love to know how it went.

One night in coach is tolerable for some people, but very few will be happy spending 3 or 4 overnights in coach. Suggest you get at least a roomette for your cross-country trip, on the train west of Chicago at a minimum.

I just watched a video by a woman who took the AT a couple of months ago. She stated she had to wait because no one told her they don't accept cars until 1:30. I'm guessing the previous train was late because no one has posted that I've seen that check in times have changed. Problem is she states the 1:30 time as if it's a fact and how it works, which we all know isn't true. I really wish people would check their "facts" before stating them as such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter