All About Fixed Weeks (RIV/CCV/AUL/VGF/POLY Charts)

Renting? In this economy? Bad idea. Owners and renters alike were left frustrated by rental companies, and historically existing reservations have always been harder to rent than simply offering up points and booking what a renter wants. Not to mention this will be a very expensive reservation, so you will need to find a renter that wants to stay Sunday - Sunday and is willing to offer several thousand dollars to do so.

This has bad idea written all over it. Use your points that you have now, and buy a large CCV resale contract in 2042 if you still want it. Financing a purchase, relying on rental income to conver it, and having no plans to use it for 20 years has red flags all over it.
Yep, these are the sort of holes I was hoping someone would poke in the plan, so thank you!

We wouldn’t be financing, though- by paying off the contract I mean essentially paying ourselves back for the outlay. And I would be fine opting out of the GW and renting the 10% higher amount of points if that’s what will go faster. We just want a guaranteed Christmas stay there and it seems like people are getting locked out of that resort at every turn.

Thanks for the thinking points :)!

I'm not entirely sure how asking for past examples, systematically dismissing them all for various reasons, then offering up another data point that is very similar to some of those examples, is useful for the discussion. Nevertheless...

Obviously this broker is blocked and I can't find this listing, but it's not terribly important. $185 for PVB is unreasonable. I'd be very interested to see the sale price on this. It's been long enough that most resale buyers likely know the value in a GW. If it is true that they command a premium, the price on this should shake out near similarly-sized PVB contracts currently on the market.

I don't think most resale buyers do know the value...

I sure as heck didn't when I bought mine. Otherwise I would've bought both GW contracts from the same seller instead of just one.

What week was it for? Poly is all studios. Unless this was for a high demand week, no need to purchase a FW. Not enough variables mentioned here.
But it doesn't even matter....there is no reason that a GW should be less money than a regular contract. I could see an argument that it would be the same value but there is no argument, other than people not understanding it, that a GW ought to sell for less....and yet that's what happened.

Some info for the thread, not sure if it's been mentioned before.

I didn't utilize my GW last year, so I converted to points and banked them and carried the full balance into this year. I sat there wondering if MS would end up using those points first to make the reservation or leave them. The answer is..leave them.

Here's what they did:
1. Manually adjusted my points balance to remove my banked points (-206pts)
2. Manually adjusted to add points as Week 52 costs more this year than when I purchased (+16pts)
3. Made reservation for Week 52 for 222 points.
4. Manually adjusted my points balance to add back my banked points (+206pts)

Based on the manual adjustments you can see it was very intentional to avoid using the banked points. So my banked points will still expire this UY.

Now I can still cancel and choose to utilize my banked points first, but the cancellation can not be done online. I can call in and cancel with MS but they will remove the points adjustment for Week 52 (16pts) and I would be left with 206 banked, 206 new points.

One extra question, and I hope this is not answered before...if you make a separate reservation for the days leading to the fixed week reservation, can they still do the 'combine/merge' trick? if not, what can be done so that you don't have to check out and check in again?

One extra question, and I hope this is not answered before...if you make a separate reservation for the days leading to the fixed week reservation, can they still do the 'combine/merge' trick? if not, what can be done so that you don't have to check out and check in again?

Nope. The only thing MS can do is put a note on both reservations for the front desk so you hopefully don't have to move, but because of the way FW are booked they cannot be merged with another reservation.

Nope. The only thing MS can do is put a note on both reservations for the front desk so you hopefully don't have to move, but because of the way FW are booked they cannot be merged with another reservation.

@BlackTea

I will add some people on this board never seem to merge reservations and instead just stop at the front desk the first night to make sure they get the same room the whole time. Not 100% sure how it works but likely something can be done.

I will add some people on this board never seem to merge reservations and instead just stop at the front desk the first night to make sure they get the same room the whole time. Not 100% sure how it works but likely something can be done.
I usually call MS to make sure the reservations are "linked" and noted as continual stay, and then follow this up when we check in at the front desk. We have done this about 3 times with no problems.

Wanting to confirm with you guys.

I’m trying to get two RIV contracts for FW SV. They say that this needs to be two contracts and the first one has to be at least 150 pts. Does this sound right or shouldn’t they be able to combine the two to meet the minimum 150 pt purchase?

Last edited:

I’m trying to get two RIV contracts for FW SV. They say that this needs to be two contracts and the first one has to be at least 150 pts. Does this sound right or shouldn’t they be able to combine the two to meet the minimum 150 pt purchase?

The 150 points minimum is so new that it really hasn't come up. And back when the minimums were this high there were no fixed weeks. I'd tend to agree with your thinking but it really only matters what DVC thinks.

No its a total of 150 points across all contracts you purchase. I would push back on it and outline that you are still getting more than the 150 that is required.

No its a total of 150 points across all contracts you purchase. I would push back on it and outline that you are still getting more than the 150 that is required.

That's definitely the case for non-FW. I'm not sure if it's still the case for FW but I would imagine it's the same.

That said, I just looked at Riviera's points charts. How do you buy a FW with the increase now? It looks like the only category that going past 150 points is the last one.

https://cdn4.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...harts/2021/FINAL_2021_DVC_RIVIERA_Pt_Chts.pdf

That's definitely the case for non-FW. I'm not sure if it's still the case for FW but I would imagine it's the same.

That said, I just looked at Riviera's points charts. How do you buy a FW with the increase now? It looks like the only category that going past 150 points is the last one.

https://cdn4.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...harts/2021/FINAL_2021_DVC_RIVIERA_Pt_Chts.pdf

It sounds like they want you to purchase enough points to supplement the fixed week to get it to 150. Or maybe they've just decided they don't care if they sell fixed weeks for studios.

It's been that for a Blue card but with a 150 point minimum for new buyers it might now actually mean the first contract has to be 150 points or more and they aren't splitting or doing smaller until you've done that. With the new minimum for new buyers has there been reports that people could split as long as the total was 150?

I bought FW 52 SV studio at RIV and it’s for 196 points and i wanted to get over two hundred to get the next incentive so I added on a small 34 point contract too so I could book another night if I wanted to add another day to my fixed week. The fixed week needs to be its own separate contract because all the points in it will be used to book that week each use year.

I bought FW 52 SV studio at RIV and it’s for 196 points and i wanted to get over two hundred to get the next incentive so I added on a small 34 point contract too so I could book another night if I wanted to add another day to my fixed week. The fixed week needs to be its own separate contract because all the points in it will be used to book that week each use year.

And anytime you split each is a separate contract. Buy 100 pts and split it into 50 and 50 and you have 2 contracts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter