Aldi's cart etiquette

You have to RENT your shopping cart???? :eek:

LOL--it took me a couple posts to figure out why people were putting quarters in shopping carts-I have never heard of such things! But then when another poster said you could BUY plastic or paper bags if you dont bring any I went :scared1: ---now that is nuts!!

The very first time I went into an Aldi's I walked right out, angry and positive I'd NEVER shop there again. Pay a quarter for a cart? I was here to save money, gosh darnit! Pay for bags... what? Bag my groceries myself?!?

I didn't understand that you get your quarter back after you return your cart. That's actually a very smart move on their part... keeps cars safe, and they don't have to employ cart boys to go fetch them, thus keeping prices low. I bring reusable bags and I never forget them at Aldis. I always forget them at other stores where plastic bags are given for free, so Aldi's is a lot more "green."
I'm in and out of there in lightening speed. I know exactly what I'm getting and the store is tiny. The cashiers move so fast, and I'm never tempted to linger. I buy all fo my staples at Aldi's, and then I have money left over to splurge on gourmet, unnecessary but really delicious things at Wegmans which is right next door!

Oh, and I always give my cart away for free too and make someone's day. It cracks me up how happy people get over 25 cents! I always, always let someone in line ahead of me if they have only a few items, because I always have a cartful.

Aldi's is full of good will and kindness.

A deposit for a cart is not just an Aldi concept. If you ever shop at a store with carts in Europe you will find that you will need a Euro Coin or a slug, they actually sell a slug you can hook on/off your key chain for the purpose of carts.

I have never heard of Aldi's. I must live in a time warp. I googled it and found there is one about 5 miles from our Winter Haven home. I will need to check it out the next time I am there.

Yes, do. And you'll notice a savings of about 40% on your total purchase.

Maybe it's the "Disney-nice" influence on me, but I always unload my cart, and then look for the nearest elderly person headed in to the store, and give them my cart for "free". You'd think I was giving them a million dollars, not a quarter! I figure a quarter isn't going to make or break me, but it might help them buy one more little thing off their list...

(And, yes, I've had other people give me theirs for free, I live in an area of awfully nice people! :) )

Terri

We don't have Aldi's but there are a couple of 25 c cart places. Your post is more like what happens here. I take a quarter out and offer it to someone, they look shocked thank me and hand over the cart for free. i wish them a nice day and thank them profusely, then the scene reverses itself on the way out. I think I've returned a cart all the way to a corral once maybe.

I bring reusable bags and I never forget them at Aldis. I always forget them at other stores where plastic bags are given for free, so Aldi's is a lot more "green."
A misconception. Less green because without grocery bags, we would have to be purchasing kitchen garbage bags which are about 3-4 times larger than needed and thicker, thus more plastic used in their construction to line our many small garbage cans.

How it's done here is If I see someone with a cart I will approach them and we switch money for a cart. I don't stand in line

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter