AKV. Should I keep it?

exchanger

Earning My Ears
I was able to make an exchange into DVC in February in a 1 bedroom via RCI. We have never stayed at an onsite DVC resort, and it's been a while since our last WDW visit (outside of a 1 day trip to visit Galaxy's Edge last September / Halloween Party). Our daughter will be seven and our twin boys will be three at the time of our visit in February.

While we really like rides, and our boys will be at least 40 inches by the time of our visit, the big draw has been the character interaction. When our oldest was 3 we had APs at DIsneyland and some days we would go on just a handful of rides and spend the bulk of our time meeting with characters. I am trying to determine if it will be worth it for us, or if we should just wait another year or two (given the COVID situation).

I have often thought that we could have a great time if we just took advantage of everything AKV has to offer and maybe spend a couple of days at the parks. What do you guys think? Should we go?

I can cancel for a full refund.

Pros:
Fantastic Resort
Memorable for the kids
Likely limited crowds

Cons:
Seven year old would miss school
Full prices for tickets w/ limited experience

I can sit at AKV and watch the Savannah for hours and their pool is great. I do think right now though that all of the food options and other activities there are not open so not sure how long you can wait before you cancel but I would want more open for a first time visit. Also I hate full price tickets for not a full experience - we are tentatively booked for Disneyland in February and I am thinking about cancelling for this reason. I think you could go and have a great time I just don’t see the value in it as much. If I already had an AP I would be there in a heart beat - less grounds - nice resort to hang out at! However if you just want to go and check out the resort just call and see if they can give you an idea on what will be open. We spent a week at Disney Hilton Head with Covid restrictions in place and it was still lovely.

I can sit at AKV and watch the Savannah for hours and their pool is great. I do think right now though that all of the food options and other activities there are not open so not sure how long you can wait before you cancel but I would want more open for a first time visit. Also I hate full price tickets for not a full experience - we are tentatively booked for Disneyland in February and I am thinking about cancelling for this reason. I think you could go and have a great time I just don’t see the value in it as much. If I already had an AP I would be there in a heart beat - less grounds - nice resort to hang out at! However if you just want to go and check out the resort just call and see if they can give you an idea on what will be open. We spent a week at Disney Hilton Head with Covid restrictions in place and it was still lovely.
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I decided to keep the reservation. There is a pretty generous cancellation policy as long as I purchase "points protection". AKV in RCI is a bit of a unicorn, so I think it'll be good to spend the $89 on points protection to give me peace of mind that I can cancel. I'll make sure to read trip reports and see how things are.

We are thinking that we'll spend most of our time hanging around the resort and may do 2 or 3 days at the parks. Our daughter really, really likes Harry Potter, and we are considering going to Universal Studios for a couple of days.

I am a little sad that the waterparks won't be open until March, because we went around the same time of year 5 years ago, and had a blast at Blizzard Beach -- very low crowds, and the theming was awesome for our then 2 and a half year old daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter