• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AKV CL PTR/TR - taking practically first timers -TR starts on P. 17 (completed)

That sounds like a great plan. Tower of Terror scares me silly. I did this on my own at HS in 2005, but despite my aversion to the ride, I had always said that if Graham wants to try it, I come with him. He decided to give it a go at California Adventure last year and I just could not go through with it.

Corinna

I've read someone's TRs who always does it every trip, but I just can't picture where you go to draw after the Mushu video :confused3 none of us are very artistic so don't know if we'd enjoy it. What do you think? I really do want to factor in as many relaxing activities.

I have never done this either?

That sounds like a great plan. Tower of Terror scares me silly. I did this on my own at HS in 2005, but despite my aversion to the ride, I had always said that if Graham wants to try it, I come with him. He decided to give it a go at California Adventure last year and I just could not go through with it.

Corinna

David and I can not pass up an opportunity to ride ToT...

Corinna

What did Graham think of it? It is one of my absolute favorites. I get so terrified and scream so loud! I think it's some kind of twisted adrenaline high. Just thinking about it is making me laugh.

What did Graham think of it? It is one of my absolute favorites. I get so terrified and scream so loud! I think it's some kind of twisted adrenaline high. Just thinking about it is making me laugh.

He had a similar reaction to me so this is definitely off the table. He was glad that he had experienced it once, but will not repeat it. He absolutely loves Expedition Everest, which is another ride I can't do. Yet I love Rock'n'Rollercoaster.

Corinna

I've read someone's TRs who always does it every trip, but I just can't picture where you go to draw after the Mushu video :confused3 none of us are very artistic so don't know if we'd enjoy it. What do you think? I really do want to factor in as many relaxing activities.

It's in the Magic of Disney Animation building behind Voyage of the Little Mermaid. They have a place to meet characters and interactive drawing kiosks along with an animation video. You can skip the video and go straight to the Animation Academy, though. It's in a room to the right of the character meets, and there is usually a CM that can point you in the right direction.

The session last about 30 minutes or so, and one of the animators walks you through each step of the drawing. I'm not a good drawer, either, but my characters have always come out pretty neat.

It's in the Magic of Disney Animation building behind Voyage of the Little Mermaid. They have a place to meet characters and interactive drawing kiosks along with an animation video. You can skip the video and go straight to the Animation Academy, though. It's in a room to the right of the character meets, and there is usually a CM that can point you in the right direction.

The session last about 30 minutes or so, and one of the animators walks you through each step of the drawing. I'm not a good drawer, either, but my characters have always come out pretty neat.

Thank you :) its always sounded fun, I definitely want to try it sometime. If not on this trip then sometime soon.

Hiya! I saw the CL part and had to subscribe! I'd love to stay in CL one of these days. Are you going to do a Sunrise Safari? I seriously contemplated renting points for one night of AK CL at the end of our upcoming trip just for the sake of doing a Sunrise Safari, but decided we didn't want to move again since we're already doing a split stay from BLT/BWV. From your ticker I think we'll be getting there around the same time as you for your December trip!
9/10: Monday - Departure Day

Will be having as stress free a last day as possible.

-I'm going to request a late check-out which I'm hoping won't be a problem, if they aren't able to we'll work with it.
-Do airline check-in
-4:15pm DME pick-up for our 7:15 flight.
-No park today, I'm just thinking it would make the day a bit too rushed. We can either go to DTD for some shopping and lunch or enjoy the pool/resort. I will not be letting R & M go off on their own, they are almost always tardy to family functions and will not risk them missing the pick-up.

Just FYI, as far as I know DVC does not do late check out. The first year we owned we asked for it, and they said they never do this for DVC since the occupancy rates/percentages are so high and everybody wants their rooms by 4p, its just not possible on the non-hotel side. If you want to chill at the resort and use the pool/showers/locker room after check out that's fine, but they need to turn the rooms right at check out time.

Welcome! Thanks for joining :)

No, we're not going to do the Sunrise Safari on this trip. I'm figuring there's just so much else for R & M to see and do, there's no need to add anything extra. We did it once before and it is well worth it. Only offered on Thursday and Sunday though so make sure you work around that. I will be taking lots of pictures of the CL offerings so stick around for that :)

Looks like we'll be there right around the same time. Is your cruise first or second? I just did my first cruise on the Dream in March and it was so amazing!

Thanks for the info about check out. I thought I had read a friends TR where she was able to, but I think it was in CA, maybe different rules. It won't be a problem if we can't, just will force us out of the room faster which could be a good thing.

Enjoying your PT report so far, keep it coming:goodvibes You know Im excited to read about CL:thumbsup2

Looks like we'll be there right around the same time. Is your cruise first or second? I just did my first cruise on the Dream in March and it was so amazing!
We put our cruise in the middle of the trip, so 5 nights BLT, 3 night cruise to see Castaway Cay, then 6 nights BWV. Figure we don't get out to the East Coast very often so when we do we should go all out. It's only our second cruise, too, our first was a 5 night last September on the West Coast and its truly a magical vacation experience. Looking forward to the Dream. :thumbsup2

I like that your plan includes availing yourself of the CL breakfast. I really enjoy breakfast in the villa, and we don't mind cooking at all since we find it relaxing but the time saver factor would be awesome if we ever decide to go for it!

I'm curious to see if you are able to do all your "must-do's" at HS. If I do ToT, RnR, TSM, and Star Tours then I'm happy. Everything else is a bonus. :thumbsup2 I do love the stunt show whose name I never get right. I would have liked for my nephews to see that, but it didn't happen. I really enjoyed the backlot tour in December. You will definitely have the benefit of low crowds working towards your advantage.

We put our cruise in the middle of the trip, so 5 nights BLT, 3 night cruise to see Castaway Cay, then 6 nights BWV. Figure we don't get out to the East Coast very often so when we do we should go all out. It's only our second cruise, too, our first was a 5 night last September on the West Coast and its truly a magical vacation experience. Looking forward to the Dream. :thumbsup2

I like that your plan includes availing yourself of the CL breakfast. I really enjoy breakfast in the villa, and we don't mind cooking at all since we find it relaxing but the time saver factor would be awesome if we ever decide to go for it!

Sounds like a fabulous trip! I have lots of pictures of the Dream in my TR, if you're interested the link is in my signature. I couldn't get over how beautiful she was the whole cruise.

Oh yes, the time and money saver of the CL is so nice. If I ever do a villa I will definitely take advantage of the kitchen. I thought I would splurge for my DL trip next September, but its almost double the points of a studio. I just can't do it :worried:

I'm curious to see if you are able to do all your "must-do's" at HS. If I do ToT, RnR, TSM, and Star Tours then I'm happy. Everything else is a bonus. :thumbsup2 I do love the stunt show whose name I never get right. I would have liked for my nephews to see that, but it didn't happen. I really enjoyed the backlot tour in December. You will definitely have the benefit of low crowds working towards your advantage.

I'm also curious if it'll work. I'm hoping the low crowds and EMHs will make it possible. I just figured yesterday that the only parks we'll repeat are AK and MK so I'm hoping for the best.

So this has nothing to do with the PTR but I wanted to share some other planning news.

Ever since they started building Aulani I knew I just had to get there someday, and since I bought the points on the cruise I've just been itching to plan a trip there. Even before buying the points my plan was to do two weeks in late 2013, but that had to be pushed back because I also must get out to see DL. (too many trips and too little vacation time :sad2:) So, I'll be doing DL the first or second week in September 2013 (9/1-9/7 or 9/8-9/14/13), depending on what week I can get off work. And Aulani the last week in August and first week in September 2014. (8/24-9/6/14). I'm glad I have my dates pin pointed in my mind, because the 'I must get there' thought just wasn't firm enough :laughing:

I can ask for next year's vacation this December, so I'll be putting in my requests ASAP. It's a 'first come first serve' type of thing, so I'm hoping I'll get exactly what I want if I put in my requests right when she'll take them. The problem is I have the two cruises already booked, so those dates in my mind are set in stone. Hopefully everything will work out perfectly, my fingers are crossed.

So this has nothing to do with the PTR but I wanted to share some other planning news.

Ever since they started building Aulani I knew I just had to get there someday, and since I bought the points on the cruise I've just been itching to plan a trip there. Even before buying the points my plan was to do two weeks in late 2013, but that had to be pushed back because I also must get out to see DL. (too many trips and too little vacation time :sad2:) So, I'll be doing DL the first or second week in September 2013 (9/1-9/7 or 9/8-9/14/13), depending on what week I can get off work. And Aulani the last week in August and first week in September 2014. (8/24-9/6/14). I'm glad I have my dates pin pointed in my mind, because the 'I must get there' thought just wasn't firm enough :laughing:

I can ask for next year's vacation this December, so I'll be putting in my requests ASAP. It's a 'first come first serve' type of thing, so I'm hoping I'll get exactly what I want if I put in my requests right when she'll take them. The problem is I have the two cruises already booked, so those dates in my mind are set in stone. Hopefully everything will work out perfectly, my fingers are crossed.

Sounds awesome and I too have two different vacations in 2014 planned already! Great minds think alike

Here's hoping you get all your vacations scheduled without any hassle!pixiedust:

Sounds awesome and I too have two different vacations in 2014 planned already! Great minds think alike

::yes:: :) I feel like I'm utterly obsessed with vacation. I guess there's worse things to be obsessed with.

Also, I'm 100% going on a cruise March 2014 for my birthday, so will book that as soon as the itineraries come out. :)

Which trips have you already booked? Are you going to be able to get to Machu Picchu? I know I've already asked, but can't remember if that was about 2013 or 2014. So many wonderful vacations going on its hard to keep track.

How did I miss this???????? I'm so late to the party!

I know what you mean about first timers and playing tour guide. When I took my parents in 2010, I tried to get them excited about things and try to do stuff on their own, but they wanted to be spoon fed everything.

I think the person who does the animation academy is Alicia, she and her husband do it at DCA almost every time the go to DLR.

I'm sure you did not read about late checkout at a CA DVC because there are so few units they are always fully booked, so it's a challenge just to get the vacant rooms turned over in the five hours from checkout to checkin.

Looking forward to hearing more. And it sounds like I'll need to keep Sept 2013 open, you're the second DIS friend coming to CA that month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter